Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sherman Branch Grand Opening Celebration! (Read 8820 times)
flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Sherman Branch Grand Opening Celebration!
04/24/07 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
We have received permission through Park and Rec to hold a grand opening celebration at Sherman Branch on Saturday, May 5th, in conjunction with BIKE! Charlotte...

The plan is to hold some guided rides between 9:00 and 11:00 AM, then offer up burgers and dogs from 11:30 - 1:00...

We're going to need volunteers to assist in coordinating the event...Arranging for grills, purchasing the necessary food, condiments and drinks and of course cleaning up following the event...You will be reimbursed for your purchases...

This would be a great way for the new members that frequent the trail to chip in and participate...

We have trail construction ongoing at Jetton over the next several weekends, and those of us that live in the Lake Norman district will be busy with that project...

Please don't be afraid to raise you hand and volunteer on the 5th!

Tom Mathews
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Re: Sherman Branch Grand Opening Celebration!
Reply #1 - 04/24/07 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
See your PM   .... I am available to help in any way you need.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...Declaration of Independence

IP Logged

markmanchette
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/07 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I'd be glad to help, too. I've live two-doors down from Sean. ^^^^
Sean and Jerry have my contact info.

Thanks for puttin' this on!

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 04/25/07 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I have a feeling you are going to need more parking.  It is also Cinco DeMayo, so there should be a contest for the biggest sombrero/helmet  Grin

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #4 - 04/25/07 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 04/25/07 at 7:34pm:
I have a feeling you are going to need more parking.  It is also Cinco DeMayo, so there should be a contest for the biggest sombrero/helmet  Grin

Get some weedwackers running and we trim right down the powerline cut  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...Declaration of Independence

IP Logged

markmanchette
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/07 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
P.S. Is this event for existing TTB members only, or is it open to persons that want to get into MTB and join TTBs?

I know somebody that wants to buy a bike and I thought this event would be a great place for him to look and learn.

Thanks...

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #6 - 04/25/07 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
P.S. Is this event for existing TTB members only, or is it open to persons that want to get into MTB and join TTBs?

I know somebody that wants to buy a bike and I thought this event would be a great place for him to look and learn.

Thanks...

my guess is general public if I am wrong please correct me someone

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #7 - 04/26/07 at 1:27am
Print Post  
LessNew2this wrote on 04/25/07 at 11:25pm:
my guess is general public if I am wrong please correct me someone

You got it guys!  This is'll be a celebration of the biking community, EVERYONE is welcome!

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

JimShoe
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 04/26/07 at 4:30am
Print Post  
It's great that we've got something going on for the public at SB. The last few trips out there folks have pulled into the parking lot asking a lot of questions about the trails. It's a funtastic trail  Cheesy and it's nice to have one "in the hood". I have to coach a girls softball game Saturday morning and then I will come out to help. Will any type of special parking be arranged for us so as to free up the lot for others? What about drinks?  Looking forward towards getting out and meeting some of my fellow TB'ers  Wink

When the government takes responsibility for the people, the people will no longer take responsibility for themselves

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #9 - 04/26/07 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 04/25/07 at 7:34pm:
I have a feeling you are going to need more parking...

LessNew2this wrote on 04/25/07 at 7:39pm:
 Get some weedwackers running and we trim right down the powerline cut  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

This is something that should be considered...

Sean, is there the possibility of "Satellite" parking in the area, where riders could park and safely ride to the trail?

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #10 - 04/26/07 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I was going to offer the volunteers to park @ my house and we can ride in from the back that will help some.  I would guess we could park on the street near my house and maybe Mark can help out as well?

Mark, can you see if we can use one of the lots for this?  I think the pools open Memorial day so maybe we can use the Spandril pool lot as well. That is only 1/2 mile (safe) from the EW entrance to the park and then +/- 1 mile of trail/FR to the trail head

IP Logged

markmanchette
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/26/07 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I'll check with Doug Morris, Bradfield Farms HOA President, to see if the Peacock Ln clubhouse/pool parking lot can be used.

The only major thing that could be a problem is if there is a swim-meet that day (I know that starts sometime soon), or if the clubhouse is rented out. I think there are a solid 50+ parking spaces there. If we can't use the whole parking lot, maybe we can use at least some of it. As Sean says, there is an entrance to SB just one or two minute's ride from there.

There is also the big parking lot at the Reedy Creek Rd pool. That can't be more than 1.5 miles to the English Walnut trailhead. We'll run a shuttle if we have to  Shocked

I'll stop and see Doug this evening to ask. If nothing else, 5-10 vehicles can park in front of my house and my neighbor's house.

I'll post back this evening to let you know what Doug says.

Mark

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #12 - 04/26/07 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
thanks Mark...between my house and yours we should be able to get all the people doing something taken care of...maybe THTB can use the PL if wa can get it and leave the trail head lot for new commers... the reedy creek PL would give a nice warm up with a sustained 1/2 mile maybe 3/4 mile incline  (read climb) though....

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #13 - 04/27/07 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
All great ideas guys!  Sounds like we're making great progress!

Make certain that the pool folks understand it's not an all day activity and it's a one shot deal...If we can indeed get the THTB faithful to park there, that would definitely free up space at the Branch....

Thanks for your efforts, I think we're going to have volunteers aplenty to make things run smoothly...
« Last Edit: 04/27/07 at 12:01pm by flyinelvis »  

IP Logged

markmanchette
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/27/07 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Update: Okay, good news, the Bradfield Farms HOA has graciously granted -conditional- permission for Trailblazers to park in the Peacock Ln clubhouse/pool parking lot for the Grand Opening Celebration.

The conditions being: That the neighborhood will in NO way be responsible for any damages to vehicles or other personal property while parked in the neighborhood (highly highly unlikely in this neighborhood), AND that all vehicles should be out of the lot by around 4:30-4:45 PM, because there is a clubhouse rental taking place from 6PM to 10PM, and those guests will need the parking lot for their event. If someone else rents out the clubhouse during "our" hours, we'll have to make a plan B. Probably the other pool parking lot.

There are about 50-55 spaces in the parking lot, and I'll like to leave at least a few open for other resident's use. We really need to avoid or minimize on-street parking near the clubhouse, and the actual entrance to the park, at the end of Spandril Ln/English Walnut Ln, lest we want to become persona non grata with the HOA. I will be happy to allow a number of vehicles in front of my house, if need be. And Sean's, as well.

I have given my personal guarantee to the BF HOA that they will not regret allowing us to park here, so please, everybody, best behavior Smiley

I will be spending a majority of the event supervising the pool parking lot - to make sure there are no attempted break-ins or thefts of equipment. It's the least I can do considering I'm lucky enough to ride SB just about any time I want to.

I'll post a neighborhood map here, showing the parking lot, and the short ride into the park.

Thanks for everybody's help and co-operation. And thanks again to the TTBs for having this Grand Opening  Cheesy

Mark Manchette
704-573-8411

P.S. Somebody better bring me a burger and cola  Cheesy

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #15 - 04/27/07 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:

P.S. Somebody better bring me a burger and cola  Cheesy

I will bing it along on my lap to ya, I stick in my Jersey Pocket  Tongue Kiss Wink

Thanks for working on that Mark.  I would say that for those of you that are regulars and volunteers doing rides bringing stuff etc this would be the best place for you all to park after our places are full.  You will all know the trail and once in from the English Walnut entrance should have no problem getting to the trail head and main Parking lot. This should leave a bunch more room in the lot on lower RR for people new to the trail.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Sean

PS. Tom is this being advertised along with BIKE charlotte at all? Do we know how many people to expect at all?
« Last Edit: 04/27/07 at 10:38pm by LessNew2this »  

IP Logged

markmanchette
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/30/07 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
It's looking like a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms FRIDAY. Hopefully if it does rain, it won't be too much, and things will be dry by Saturday's celebration. Temperatures are forecast to be great, with highs in the mid-70s.

Curious how many volunteers we have for this event, and how many TTBs plan on attending??? Show of hands! Who's bringing grills, drinks, food??? Cleanup? Etc.

As I ride the trail over the next few days, I'll be looking for face-smackin' branches, and cutting them back. And thanks to whomever it was that cleared the lake loop in the last few days! I noticed somebody's already taken the time and effort to cut a number of branches back.

Thanks everybody, hope to see you there!

P.S.  10-day forecast:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 04/30/07 at 6:20pm by »  

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #17 - 04/30/07 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I have the Grills taken care of...

Think I am getting Food as well... I will update.

IP Logged

JimShoe
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 05/01/07 at 2:26am
Print Post  
A local church gave me two cases of 1/2 liter bottles of water (48 bottles) for SB for the Big Grand Opening. Can get some other type drinks and hot dogs/burgers. Just say the word Wink

When the government takes responsibility for the people, the people will no longer take responsibility for themselves

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #19 - 05/01/07 at 11:40am
Print Post  
JimShoe wrote on 05/01/07 at 2:26am:
A local church gave me two cases of 1/2 liter bottles of water (48 bottles) for SB for the Big Grand Opening. Can get some other type drinks and hot dogs/burgers. Just say the word Wink

Jim PM me or call me @ 704-968-6813 to discuss...thanks,  Sean

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print