Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) May 7th Meeting with Ride at Sherman Branch (Read 1987 times)
Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

May 7th Meeting with Ride at Sherman Branch
04/23/09 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Tarheel Trailblazers May meeting and Social Ride Thursday May 7, 2009

Instead of a normal monthly meeting at Fuel Pizza, on Thursday May 7 the Trailblazers will combine a social ride at Sherman Branch Park with their May meeting at the nearby Bradfield Farms Community clubhouse.

Details:   

6:30 pm Social Ride at Sherman Branch Park, starting at Bradfield Farms Community Clubhouse on 13200 Peacock Lane, Charlotte, NC 28215. 

8:00 pm Meeting at the Clubhouse. This will be an abbreviated meeting but should be of interest to everyone. We'll probably have soft drinks and maybe some snacks. (No alcholic beverages permitted.)

Directions to the Clubhouse: From I-485 Exit 41 Albemarle Rd: Go East on Albemarle Road, Left at first light - Rocky River Church Rd. (go past the normal parking entrance to Sherman Branch trail); Go Left on Peach Orchard Church Rd.; and Go Left again on Peacock Lane. 

Lets see how many we can get out to Sherman on a Thursday evening!

Jim Grover
President, Tarheel Trailblazers

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Re: May 7th Meeting with Ride at Sherman Branch
Reply #1 - 04/23/09 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
To answer an unasked question if I may,

The ride from the clubhouse to the trail is about 1/2 mile we will enter the trail about 1/3rd into the Lake loop, the good news is you get to enjoy the lake loop and the last 1+ mile climb 'OUT' before the roller coaster.  When you are done with the RC you will be just a tick over 1/2 way through the entire trail with mostly flat and down left. 

Hope to see a good group out there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...Declaration of Independence

IP Logged

TheMutt
In The Loop

Reply #2 - 04/23/09 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Great idea!  I should be there.  It's a lot closer to me than Fuel Pizza.   Smiley

Hey Sean, do you think you'll have any issues getting to the meeting?   Cheesy

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #3 - 04/23/09 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
TheMutt wrote on 04/23/09 at 7:46pm:
Great idea!  I should be there.  It's a lot closer to me than Fuel Pizza.   Smiley
Hey Sean, do you think you'll have any issues getting to the meeting?   Cheesy

Well I did need to take the evening off of work to make it but I feel obligated to show  Smiley

....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...Declaration of Independence

IP Logged

stonepaver
Small Cog

34 x 18,19,20,21 (depends)

Reply #4 - 04/24/09 at 10:14am
Print Post  
If this meeting is going to be held at Bradfield Farms rather than Fuel Pizza at Park Road Shopping Center, we should really change the front page of the web site, so we don't have people going to the wrong place.  Especially since a lot of people have been asking me lately about joining the club and where are the meetings held, etc.  Wink

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #5 - 04/24/09 at 10:43am
Print Post  
stonepaver wrote on 04/24/09 at 10:14am:
If this meeting is going to be held at Bradfield Farms rather than Fuel Pizza at Park Road Shopping Center, we should really change the front page of the web site...

Some things are easier said than done...I did however post it in the news section and will send out a blast through our email server...

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

there_is_no_shermanbranch.com
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 04/24/09 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Okay! We are formally on the bradfield farms community calendar! We got lucky, too, because the clubhouse calendar shows it being rented out both the day before, and the day after our event!

I will post up info later today on when the clubhouse will open/close, parking spaces, bathrooms to change clothes in, etc.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #7 - 05/06/09 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
We will be having our meeting at Bradford Farms clubhouse (see above) tomorrow evening at 6:30 rain or shine. If the weather allows us to ride, we'll start from the clubhouse at 6:30 and have the meeting at the clubhouse about 8:00.

The good news, as of this posting, IF the rain holds off and doesn't hit Sherman very hard between now and then, we likely will be able to ride - and conditions COULD be pretty darned good.

Sherman got 2" yesterday, but very little today (so far) and is "drying nicely".

So, bring your bike to work tomorrow (if you were gonna go direct to the park) and at this point plan for the ride. We'll keep a close watch and try to update as appropriate. Hope to see a good turmout either way!

Jim

« Last Edit: 05/06/09 at 8:33pm by Advocat »  

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

kurtrobinson
Coaster Bike

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #8 - 05/06/09 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I am planning to come out to this ride.  I would also like to submit my trailblazer membership; would this be a good time to do so?   

Thanks, and I really hope the rain holds out.

-Kurt

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #9 - 05/07/09 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Perfect time to submit your THTB membership....we'll take submissions for memberships anywhere, anyplace, anytime  Smiley. If our membership coordinator can't make it tonight, you can give it to the host/MC of the meeting. That'd be me.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #10 - 05/07/09 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
We will be having our meeting at Bradford Farms clubhouse (see above) tomorrow evening at 6:30 rain or shine. If the weather allows us to ride, we'll start from the clubhouse at 6:30 and have the meeting at the clubhouse about 8:00.

The good news, as of this posting, IF the rain holds off and doesn't hit Sherman very hard between now and then, we likely will be able to ride - and conditions COULD be pretty darned good.

Sherman got 2" yesterday, but very little today (so far) and is "drying nicely".

So, bring your bike to work tomorrow (if you were gonna go direct to the park) and at this point plan for the ride. We'll keep a close watch and try to update as appropriate. Hope to see a good turmout either way!

Jim

How's that looking for today?  We got a bunch of rain dumped on us up in Mooresville and the Lake.  Update, please.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #11 - 05/07/09 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Quote:
There was only .10" (one-tenth-inch) of rain from 7:00AM Wednesday to 7:00AM this morning. It stopped raining around 5:50 this morning. The sun is out now, and there is a slight breeze. While walking the dog, I looked at a section of Lake Loop this morning, that is traditionally one of the worst spots in the whole park. Yes, it is wet-ish, but it is soaking in/flowing off the trail nicely, in my opinion. I've got one more dog to walk, so I'll look at another section of trail in a bit.

The park is closed this morning. I have no say in whether it gets opened this afternoon, or not. I would not call it impossible to have the ride, as planned, provided the sun stays out...and so long as more storms don't pop up later today. The trail will not be perfect by any means, but it would likely be as good as, or better than, what we had for much of the Winter...

Either way, I will be at the clubhouse starting at 5:30PM. There are 52 parking spaces. Two bathrooms for changing clothes. The clubhouse must be cleaned up and locked by 9:30PM. Directions from the clubhouse to the trail head will be given to guests if the ride is a go.

MM

Looks like a possibility... aparently we did not get too  much yesterday and are hoping mother nature helps us out with a little sun and wind...

I should be home before 5 and can check the trial but I can not open/close or make any decisions about it either way.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #12 - 05/07/09 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Best we can say right now is we are still hopefull. It will take some drying out and no more rain today.

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #13 - 05/07/09 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Even though I've got my bike loaded, and hoping for a ride, we all need to remember that little motto we have as a club...."respect the trails"....if it's too wet, we can ride another day, and still have the meeting near Sherman.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

Little Ring

Reply #14 - 05/07/09 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I SEE THE PARK IS LISTED AS OPEN ON THE FRONT PAGE NOW

Quote:
"respect the trails"....if it's too wet, we can ride another day, and still have the meeting near Sherman.

11:45AM Lake Loop Conditions:

I just re-checked the same areas I checked early this morning. The trail continues to improve, and is on a pace, in my opinion, and as long as there is zero additional rainfall, to offer "acceptable" conditions by 6:30PM. If you* want ZERO water on the trail, that's not going to happen today. There are numerous 1'x1' puddles, and sporadic 1'x4' soggy areas. I have seen the trail open plenty of times under identical (or worse) conditions. Again, IMO, by 6:30, no significant and/or widespread trail damage would occur if a ride were held. And I have no control over whether it gets opened, or not, but I, personally, would not hesitate to ride under the conditions I would expect to have by 6:30 (as long as no more rain comes in).

* You means the general MTB community, no one in particular.

P.S. I won't be riding either way, since I have to stay at the clubhouse as part of the rental contract.
« Last Edit: 05/07/09 at 4:13pm by there_is_no_shermanbranch.com »  

IP Logged

Little Ring

Reply #15 - 05/07/09 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I'm heading out again now ( wife says "Weren't you just out there???  Angry ) to take a look at what bike traffic is doing to the trail, and to ask a few people what their impressions are...and I'll be 100% honest about it...and no rain on the radar at this time!

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #16 - 05/07/09 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Sherman's gate is open. If it doen't rain again, were're riding tonite!
See you there!

IP Logged

Little Ring

Reply #17 - 05/08/09 at 11:15am
Print Post  
It was nice meeting several (new to me) people at the meeting last night. We also had a new member join the club last night, and also a first-time Sherman Branch rider.

We had no rain last night, thank goodness. Trail conditions were good. Many thanks go to Stonepaver for clearing a tree just 2-3 hours before the ride, and also for inspecting much of the trail.

MM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print