Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uwharrie Trails Project and Future Potential (Read 3990 times)
Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Uwharrie Trails Project and Future Potential
10/08/10 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Last night at the October meeting, the membership voted to apply $2,500 of the club's available funds toward the Uwharrie Woodrun trail project that SORBA currently has underway. We had a great discussion regarding the status of the current project and the potential for A LOT of new trail in the Uwharrie National Forest. I'd like all of our club members to have an good understanding of the outstanding opportunity that this project makes available us as Charlotte area riders and also to riders from the entire Southeast region. First, some background information.

Background:
IMBA designated Uwharrie as one of their 5 "Ride Centers" some 3 years ago or so. The Ride Center concept was unclear, but the idea was to improve the Woodrun trails and build a substantial amount (50 miles) of new trails of various types to turn the location into a regional/ national destination - someplace that folks would want to travel to in order to ride. Based on the Uwharrie National Park location, that is surrounded by a population of over 4 million and plenty of available land with mostly willing land managers, the site seemed solid. Problem was, no-one ever consulted the locals - either the local mountain bikers (of which there are very few in Albemarle/ Troy) or the local business/political leaders.

Long story short;

1.      IMBA helped start the SORBA-Uwharrie Chapter in Albemarle area to become the nexus for the local mountain bikers to become involved in the project and to supply the local volunteer base.

2.      A 1 to 2 mile trail and bike park was built in Albemarle, at an in-town park, to show what could be done and to create local interest;

3.      SORBA applied for and received a NC RTP Grant for approximately $69,000 in 2009 to improve and expand the Woodrun trails (Supertree and Keyawee);

4.       IMBA has spent well over $110,000 on environmental impact, archeological studies and trail design. Part of this (approx. $40,000) was from another grant, the rest came out of IMBA's pocket. All  the new trail has been laid out by Trail Solutions, an IMBA affiliate trail builder. An IMBA spec  1.5 mile connector trail was built that "parallels" the central fire road from near the lower parking lot up to the campground where the bottom of Supertree and Keyawee start. 

5. In order to use the RTP grant, SORBA-Uwharrie had to raise an additional $25,00 in cash matching funds. The continuation of the initial trail project got stuck on this required pre-condition. Once the money was raised, SORBA could put the remaining project work out to bid for a professional trailbuilder to cut the trail that flagged, approved and ready to go.

6.   Over the last 3 years whaile all this was going on, IMBA completely re-thought its "Ride Center" concept and realized that its initial scheme to simply designate future Ride Center sites won't work for most all of the initial site selections. Ride Centers will now be selected after an application and review process that is still being developed. Uwharrie won't make the grade for an IMBA Ride Center in the near future and likely won't at any time until a good bit more trail is built, or planned and funded.

Current Status:
SORBA got the fledgling SORBA-Uwharrie Chapter off the ground, but by itself the club was not able to gain enough traction as a sustainable group to support the development of the Uwharrie project. There may be too few riders in that immediate area to support a full fledged club that can take on such a project; this includes not having the combined membership numbers and the experience in putting new trail on the ground. IMBA  (reasonably) decided they had spent enough cash on this initial project. 

Beginning a few week ago, the Trailblazers, working in conjunction with SORBA (namely Tom Sauret, its Executive Director) and Brian Bristol and Scott Cole from the SORBA -Uwharrie chapter, made a big effort to raise the matching funds necessary to move forward with the SORBA RTP grant.  First, the Trailblazers pledged $2,500 of our funds and to ensure that we got the volunteers necessary to the site to dress the new trail that would be built by the contractor. Then using the local contacts that Brian and the Uwharrie guys had developed since the beginning of the project, we got another $2,500 committment from two Alberrle businessmen. Those businessmen also helped us arrange a meeting with First Bank in Troy to see if the could provide some or all of the remaining $20,000 of matching funds. First Bank had also been interested in the project for some time; they realized the impact that an IMBA Ride Center could potentially have on the local economy.

Last week, we had meetings with the Albermarle businessmen and a grant writer, the US Forest Service personel who manage the Uwharrie National Forest, and finally First Bank in Troy, This is what I wrote to our extended board members (who I'd keep in the loop on our progress) about 4 hours later:

And we thought it might take a few days .....

Great news: following our meeting this morning with First Bank in Troy, First bank has committed to donating $20,000 for the Uwharrie project!!. Along with our $2,500 and another $2,500 that 2-3 gentlemen from Albamarle committed at last night's meeting, we have met the match for the RTP grant to complete this phase of the project. Now Tom Sauret will put this out to bid, and we should get a professional trail builder on the ground this winter. 

Long story short, at today's meeting we were very enthused at First Bank's expression of interest to help - they really GET IT - what this IMBA Trail Center concept can do for the Uwharrie area. We were asking them for the bulk of the matching funds necessary ($20,000 of the $25,000) to move forward. They were not sure what their timing could be as far as a committment for this phase of the project and whether they might need to donate the funds over a period of time, etc. However, within 4 hours, they have committed to write the check next week for the full amount. Moreover, they are committed to do what is necessary to support the entire Ride Center Concept, knowing that eventually $1.5 to $2.0 million will need to be raised. 

The folks that Brian (Explore Uwharrie and formerly Middle Ring Cycles) got us in front of are really well connected. Not just to other folks of means within the Stanly and Montgomery Counties, but also with the regional and State foundations that have grant funding available. They also are politically connected so that we should have an entre to the federal politicians that can make things happen ($$$) in Washington. (For example, an IMBA Ride Center out west got $400,000 from working with their congresmen.)

There will certainly be challenges to come, but this is a really teriffic opportunity for all of us and all of the riders in the region.

Next Steps:
Tom Sauret at SORBA is excited to get the project back on track and to not have to give the RTP funds back to the State. He is willing to bring everything that SORBA can offer to support the project as long as he's comfortable that there is local committment and continued effort. 

First, Tom Sauret will get this current project in the hands of a trailbuilder to do the rough cut work. We expect this to happen this winter. There will also need to be some re-conditioning done on Supertree where the recent logging activity tore up part of the trail (this part of the trail was built on the old service road corridor). I expect we can have an impact on helping design this re-conditioning work. The Forest Service said they will spend a few dollars they have remaining from the logging contract to help in this reconditioning effort too! In the spring, another small section off of the Kewayee trail will need to be logged (thinned for the health of the forest) and that will disturb part of the Kewayee trail tread. That will need to be re-conditioned as well. Finally, there are a few small re-route sections called for in the RTP grant that will be around this section of Kawayee that willl need to be delayed and completed after this final logging activity.

The Future:
Tom Sauret has had  conversations with Mike Van Abel (IMBA CEO) about the potential not only for this current project but also for future trail opportunities at Uwharrie. While the IMBA Trail Center concept is still evolving, IMBA and SORBA are looking for opportunities that IMBA can bring support to, particularly in North Carolina. With the right local leadership, the Uwharrie region is still ripe for trail development and IMBA could play a big part in that development. We now have a great deal of momentum in the Albermarle and Troy business communities, and the interest of a lot of well connected folks who want to see a Ride Center happen. I believe the Trailblazers has a role to be an important part of the local leadership to help make this happen. 

Please post up any questions you might have. If you haven't yet ridden the Woodrun trails, you're in for a treat. Get on out there and see what potentail lies right near our doorstep!

Jim Grover
President, Tarheel Trailblazers

« Last Edit: 10/08/10 at 4:35pm by Advocat »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

NCtrail4R
Small Cog

Ready For Some Time Off

Re: Uwharrie Trails Project and Future Potential
Reply #1 - 10/12/10 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  

Wonder if there is a chance that stimulus money could be allocated for the project.  There is apparently still a fair amount of money that is unspent.  May be some interest in funding a project that would be matched with volunteer labor hours.

Anyone know who to contact to apply for stimulus money?  How about a letter writing campaign to NC Senators?

/
« Last Edit: 10/12/10 at 2:40am by NCtrail4R »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Bike / Hike / Drive / Explore - Just Want to Get Outside!

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #2 - 10/12/10 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
A lot of stimulus money is already in the pipeline for trails in NC and the SE region (likely nationally as well). Contracts have been or are now being awarded and a lot of this money will get dirt turning this winter.

Not sure if additional stimulus money is still available for trails, but federal money is most always available and generally doesn't require matching funds (I think). Our RTP and Adopt a Trail grants issued by NCDENR do require matching funds and we have been successful in getting both our volunteer hours and use of our heavy machinery to meet the matching funds need as "in kind" funds.

The folks we met with in Albemarle and Troy were well versed in several different state and regional grant programs they can attempt to tap for expansion at Uwharrie. They also expect to talk to their Federal representatives about money for these trails to promote economic stimulus for Montgomery and Stanley counties.
« Last Edit: 10/12/10 at 1:34pm by Advocat »  

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 10/12/10 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
As mentioned in another thread, and MANY MANY times in the past.

Uhwarrie needs to bring something to the table that is DIFFERENT.  Along with the MILES of great XC single track within the greater CLT area what do we have within 90-120 minutes of driving.
Pisgah proper
Dupont
Bent Creek
Wilson's Creek
Dark Mountain

No matter how much you invest you arent going to produce a significantly BETTER  product then what is already on the ground.   

I would suggest you look at Santos in FL as an example.  The biggest population center (Orlando) is about the same distance 90 minutes.  Within 90 minutes of Orlando you can get to a number of major trail systems
Carter Road (Lakeland)
Alafia (Tampa)
Used to be able to get to the TOE (Its gone)
There also used to be other trail systems very close to Santos
Razorback and Hardrock

Once Santos had something that no other place did it saw tremendous growth in popularity, use and support.

IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 10/12/10 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
exactly no more xc!!!!! how many do we need

shuttleable downhill and freeride please 

if you build it they will come ...

from all over the south

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 10/12/10 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Mbrennan wrote on 10/12/10 at 4:26pm:

I didnt say that.  Tongue

Santos has more XC trail than anywhere, and it is good riding.  However that isnt the initial draw

from all over the south

Maybe not all over, but I am sure from places within 90-120 minute drive
Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem

IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 10/12/10 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I did Cool
dont forget asheville them boys love some wood structures and they have none

RobP wrote on 10/12/10 at 4:35pm:

I didnt say that.  Tongue

Santos has more XC trail than anywhere, and it is good riding.  However that isnt the initial draw

Maybe not all over, but I am sure from places within 90-120 minute drive
Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #7 - 10/12/10 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 10/12/10 at 4:06pm:

Carter Road (Lakeland)

Gotta hit that this New Years holiday.  Wife and I stay with friends that live in Lakeland.  Hit Santos the year before last.  Different type of riding but fun still the same.  And Ben Blitch had just finished the hugantic pump track out there as well.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #8 - 10/12/10 at 6:01pm
Print Post  

if you build it they will come

But will you come?  To help design and build?  When we have asked for assistance in the past to build an advanced trail at LNSP, there were no takers, just riders, so we need some people to step up…

RobP wrote on 10/12/10 at 4:06pm:

Uhwarrie needs to bring something to the table that is DIFFERENT...

Agreed RobP…

But right now there is an MOU in place that specifies XC trails (the Trailblazers had no input in this initial phase).  That said, the IMBA-SORBA Ride Center concept was designed to offer riding for all styles.  Once we get past this initial hurdle (the XC trail MOU), we can start looking into funding for freeriders.  Contrary to popular belief, the Trailblazers have tried at a local level in the past to provide freeriding opportunities.  RobP was even part of one of those meetings (thanks Rob), but unfortunately in this time of litigation, park management shied away.  So Uwharrie just might be the place to do it.  But it will take time and effort on the part of the riders that enjoy freeriding.  We’ll need grant writers and individuals interested in researching financial sources.  We’ll need individuals to take time from their jobs to attend meetings (financial institutions are open for business, weekdays 9:00 – 5:00), develop and provide presentations, and attend countless meetings with park planners and the forest service.  And let's not forget, the Uwharries are not just around the corner for many of our local riders.  We’ll need trail designers (sustainable trail designers) and trail constructors and they don’t come cheap.  You (we) can make this happen.  But it will take a level headed individual that can work within the political arena necessary to lead just such a project.  It’s not like they’ll give you a clean pallet and allow construction without a proper design plan in place and ultimately an MOU in a national forest.  This is a time consuming process - it took around 10 years to get LNSP (a state park) off the ground.  

I'm not trying to be negative, freeriding would be a positive addition to the Uwharries, but the executive board of this club is stretched thin and we need that dedicated individual to start laying the groundwork, now, for the future of freeriding and other opportunities in the Uwharries.  

Who’s up for the task?  

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 10/12/10 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
flyinelvis wrote on 10/12/10 at 6:01pm:
Agreed RobP…

But right now there is an MOU in place that specifies XC trails (the Trailblazers had no input in this initial phase).

Is the MOU any/much different than the one in place at Bent Creek or Dupont?   

IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 10/12/10 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I must have missed the help build an advanced trial at one of the trials I ride the most... I used to be stoned a lot back then ... anyway I will without question help build an advanced trial out there  Smiley... 1 giant rock garden with jumps and drops and elevated  skinnies sounds fun with speeds of 30+mph the entire length of the trial oh and that is suttleable  Wink seriously I would love to help @ lnsp - albermarle is pretty far to help build though but I could come on weekends as my father in law lives there (free babysitting)

flyinelvis wrote on 10/12/10 at 6:01pm:

But will you come?  To help design and build?  When we have asked for assistance in the past to build an advanced trail at LNSP, there were no takers, just riders, so we need some people to step up…

Agreed RobP…

But right now there is an MOU in place that specifies XC trails (the Trailblazers had no input in this initial phase).  That said, the IMBA-SORBA Ride Center concept was designed to offer riding for all styles.  Once we get past this initial hurdle (the XC trail MOU), we can start looking into funding for freeriders.  Contrary to popular belief, the Trailblazers have tried at a local level in the past to provide freeriding opportunities.  RobP was even part of one of those meetings (thanks Rob), but unfortunately in this time of litigation, park management shied away.  So Uwharrie just might be the place to do it.  But it will take time and effort on the part of the riders that enjoy freeriding.  We’ll need grant writers and individuals interested in researching financial sources.  We’ll need individuals to take time from their jobs to attend meetings (financial institutions are open for business, weekdays 9:00 – 5:00), develop and provide presentations, and attend countless meetings with park planners and the forest service.  And let's not forget, the Uwharries are not just around the corner for many of our local riders.  We’ll need trail designers (sustainable trail designers) and trail constructors and they don’t come cheap.  You (we) can make this happen.  But it will take a level headed individual that can work within the political arena necessary to lead just such a project.  It’s not like they’ll give you a clean pallet and allow construction without a proper design plan in place and ultimately an MOU in a national forest.  This is a time consuming process - it took around 10 years to get LNSP (a state park) off the ground.  

I'm not trying to be negative, freeriding would be a positive addition to the Uwharries, but the executive board of this club is stretched thin and we need that dedicated individual to start laying the groundwork, now, for the future of freeriding and other opportunities in the Uwharries.  

Who’s up for the task?  

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #11 - 10/12/10 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 10/12/10 at 7:39pm:

Is the MOU any/much different than the one in place at Bent Creek or Dupont?  

I have no idea what their agreements look like...

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #12 - 10/12/10 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Mbrennan wrote on 10/12/10 at 7:47pm:
I must have missed the help build an advanced trial at one of the trials I ride the most... I used to be stoned a lot back then ... anyway I will without question help build an advanced trial out there  Smiley... 1 giant rock garden with jumps and drops and elevated  skinnies sounds fun with speeds of 30+mph the entire length of the trial oh and that is suttleable  Wink seriously I would love to help @ lnsp - albermarle is pretty far to help build though but I could come on weekends as my father in law lives there (free babysitting)

Phase V is coming up quick!  I'll start bugging you about it the next time you're in the shop...BTW if you're in the Statesville area this evening we're having a north meeting at Village Pizza off of exit 50.  Ride at Signal Hill starts at 6:15 PM.  Meeting at 7:30 PM.   

You have my number. Call...

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 10/12/10 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
flyinelvis wrote on 10/12/10 at 8:19pm:

I have no idea what their agreements look like...

Someone from SORBA/IMBA does.  It would just be interesting to see how the jumps on the upside of Burnt Mountain, Greenslick, Wolf Laurel or even the new work on the Hard Times Connector were handled.  Is there specific language in the MOU?  Did they need to get a Specific statement of work before proceeding or was it done because the trailbuilder and/or contractor determined it fell within the existing agreement.  If it is the latter the process might already be in place to start with a bang.

IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 10/12/10 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 10/12/10 at 8:54pm:

Phase V is coming up quick!  I'll start bugging you about it the next time you're in the shop...BTW if you're in the Statesville area this evening we're having a north meeting at Village Pizza off of exit 50.  Ride at Signal Hill starts at 6:15 PM.  Meeting at 7:30 PM.  

You have my number. Call...

had to cut a tree down tonight for someone.. sorry
Karla will be in tommorow to bring in her new mojo carbon Smiley
I am doing some shuttles this weekend so I will prob see you tuesday after I break something Cheesy

IP Logged

davidb
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #15 - 10/13/10 at 1:10am
Print Post  

from all over the south

Dude the "mountains" top out at about 750 feet there.  You could maybe squeeze out a 300 foot descent in a single run.  Freeride sure, but shutteable DH??

No doubt there is plenty of potential for "something different".  I'm just saying that there really isn't much drop to work with there if you're looking for true DH.

The old daveb, who was the old surlydave, who was the old superdave...remember me?

IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 10/13/10 at 3:43am
Print Post  
I will take what I can get...  and i think some were talking about morrow mountian no idea aout elevation and all that I just like to ride fast steep and rocky with as little peddling as possible we have plenty of that around here.  Yes freeride is more what I Want...

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 10/13/10 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
davidb wrote on 10/13/10 at 1:10am:

Dude the "mountains" top out at about 750 feet there.  You could maybe squeeze out a 300 foot descent in a single run.  Freeride sure, but shutteable DH??

No doubt there is plenty of potential for "something different".  I'm just saying that there really isn't much drop to work with there if you're looking for true DH.

Clemson, Paris Mountain in Greenville and even places like Hawksnest only have 300' of elevation drop or so.  Burnt MTN at Dupont is only 290' of elevation loss.  I think Dark Mountain only has 150' of elevation loss.

I have been out there with a GPS, there are plenty of places.  A few of the highest points already have cell or other towers on top with old roads that lead to the top of them.

Morrow MTN would be awesome.  There is a 6 mile trail that starts at the top and drops all the way to the bottom with a paved road and a parking lot.  It would be PERFECT place to adopt some gravity type trails.

Anyway my point is to try to get the most return for the investment.  The investment is time and money.  The expected return is drawing people to the area to ride.  If you want to do that effectively do not START with investing in building yet ANOTHER (as great as it maybe) XC trail system.  There is so much low hanging fruit that could yield a better return for less.

But hey if the plan is to try the SAME thing again just a year later with more press, expect the same results.

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #18 - 10/13/10 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 10/13/10 at 12:38pm:
But hey if the plan is to try the SAME thing again just a year later with more press, expect the same results.[/b]

Understood RobP, but you need to understand that the Trailblazers did not start this project.  But it looks like we'll be taking it on, under the current guidelines of the signed MOU.  If you'd like to step up NOW, raise your hand so we can lay the groundwork for what you want, in the near future...

The Trailblazers are in total agreement that riding options are needed.  My plate is very full right now and will be for the foreseeable future.  The same goes for our thinly spread ex. board.  The ideas are valid and the club would love to see this happen.  But SOMEBODY has to take the lead on this.  You are a well spoken, level headed business person Rob, you would do well to fill this position.  Make it happen.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 10/13/10 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
flyinelvis wrote on 10/13/10 at 5:53pm:

But SOMEBODY has to take the lead on this.  You are a well spoken, level headed business person Rob, you would do well to fill this position.  Make it happen.

You forgot really really good looking

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Love to help, but no time to take that kind of project on...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print