Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uwharrie Trails Project and Future Potential (Read 3991 times)
criticalmass
Big Ring

Squirrels, the new TTF

Re: Uwharrie Trails Project and Future Potential
Reply #20 - 10/14/10 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I'll be happy to throw my name in the hat to help with this project. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

-... .. -.-. -.-- -.-. .-.. .

IP Logged

LessNew2this
Big Ring

Man, that was NOT a good
line....

Reply #21 - 10/14/10 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
criticalmass wrote on 10/14/10 at 2:53pm:
I'll be happy to throw my name in the hat to help with this project. 

While not so much this :
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

But I would say CriticalMass is this :

flyinelvis wrote on 10/13/10 at 5:53pm:

But SOMEBODY has to take the lead on this.  You are a well spoken, level headed business person Rob, you would do well to fill this position.  Make it happen.

« Last Edit: 10/14/10 at 3:39pm by LessNew2this »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

....whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...Declaration of Independence

IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 11/03/10 at 2:54am
Print Post  
got to wondering the other day, I know the trailblazers are gonna help out building this thing, but just wondering if they are going to take over maintaining it in the future as well?

IP Logged

flyinelvis
Forum Administrator
In The Loop
Project Board

Speed is your friend!

Reply #23 - 11/03/10 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Good question.  If we build it correctly (sustainable) maintenance will be minimal.  We are hoping that once we start making headway, locals from the Albemarle/Troy areas will adopt the trail, building a crew of their own.  Spring / Fall workdays, sponsored by the THTB might be a good idea, too...

When I was a kid, I prayed for a bicycle.  When I learned it didn't work that way, I stole one and asked God to forgive me...
IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Reply #24 - 11/03/10 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
but will it me a ttb trail? if there were locals that wanted to do it, would the ttb's provide resources/gear for the work? I know the rules are different since it's a national forest but just wondering what roll the club is looking to play in the future of these trails beyond this first project. 

Speaking of,what's the latest?

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #25 - 11/04/10 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
KevinB wrote on 11/03/10 at 11:46pm:
but will it me a ttb trail? if there were locals that wanted to do it, would the ttb's provide resources/gear for the work? I know the rules are different since it's a national forest but just wondering what roll the club is looking to play in the future of these trails beyond this first project. 

Speaking of,what's the latest?

I asked SORBA for an update on the project and hope to have something tomorrow.

The Trailblazer committment atthis point is the $2,500 we've added to the kitty for the matching funds and to get the volunteers necessay to "dress" the new/ refurbished trail after the contractor does his thing. We also want to provide as much input as possible on the "trail recovery" portions of the project - particularly the recovery for the changes made to Supertree and Keyowee (yet to happen) by the loggers.

We generally do not consider a trail a "Trailblazer trail" unless we have a written MOU with the landowner/manager to build and maintain the trail. For instance, we don't include Ann Springs or Poplar Tent in the 75 miles of Trailblazer trail - because we don't have them under MOUs. But we or some of our members do a considerable amount of work on those trails. 

Like Tom said, ideally we and SORBA can generate a cadre of trailworkers close to the Uwharrie trail for this and future projects. We'll just have to see how things progress. We certainly want to play a role in future development; any big projects will require drawing help from a large geographic area and we will look to include the clubs from Greensboro and the Triangle such endeavors.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #26 - 11/11/10 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I meant to post this up earlier. Tom Sauret at SORBA-IMBA got back to me with some updates. 

They expect to have a Project Manager (Probably Stephen Mullins) out on site to inspect the work to be done within 30 days. The intent is that they will meet with us so we can get more familiar with the specifics of the project and give our input to the PM. The expectation is that a contractor will get the vast majority of the machine work done this winter (some can't be done untill after another small tract is logged in the Spring). Then we can get busy with dress work and whatever else we can do with volunteers.

Next steps for the Ride Center Project as a whole start with raising money to prepare a comprehensive vision of the entire Ride Center (at least as far as the Uwharrie National Forest property); have someone prepare an overall ride center plan and map with various types of trails and riding, access points, parking, etc, so that we can show the local communities and the riders in the region what the Ride Center will, or at least could, look like. Tom shared such a design for a new Ride Center in Aniston, AL that is really great. That type of plan will really help plan the best use of the entire resource and give all interested parties something to see and work towards.

Then money would need to be raised for an Environmental assessment for the next phase of the project and for the next build. Tom's got some ideas for some funding, but we may need to be out front to promote and support the money raising efforts.

SORBA-IMBA is really excited about the potential, and so am I.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #27 - 11/11/10 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update Jim, and all the time and effort you've put into saving this project. I don't think most folks understand how close our area was to losing this crazy good opportunity, and I'm not sure without the efforts of our overworked current President we'd still be talking about this opportunity.

After some XC type trail we know we need to put in, a lot of us are thinking/hoping there could be opportunity for more agressive trail in Uwharrie. This will not come without it's challenges, because like it or not we live in a society where law suits and insurance are a huge deal, but I personally would love to see some more aggressive trail at Uwharrie. I'm not a big hit kind of guy, so may or may not ride it, but I think we need it. 

With that said, the last time we asked folks looking for more aggresive trail to put their money where their mouth is, not a single person offered to put in the time and effort to work with the land managers to make it happen at LNSP on the Laurel Loop. Nada..nothing, no one showed up.

I don't know how to design and build bigger hit stuff, but I think our area really needs something besides my beloved cross county type trail. So for anyone out there that thinks our club wouldn't like more agressive trail systems in our area, you're 100% wrong....but if you think it just happens overnight, without crazy amounts of time and very frustrating efforts with the powers that be, you're also very, very wrong. If you think I'm lying, go have a beer with FirstFlight on our forum and see how much effort it took to get the first XC trail in a state park. The man should be sainted for all he had to go through.

All I'm saying is the next time we put the word out to get folks to step up and help us with more aggresive trail, if you really want it, dont' sit on the sidelines, don't expect to get exactly what you want at first without taking baby steps, and help us add a new demension to the trail riding opportunities within an hour of the Charlotte Metro area. 

I'm stepping off my soapbox and shutting my cake hole now.....Ride on....

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #28 - 11/12/10 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Let me know when it's time to build the fun stuff near a shuttle road.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #29 - 11/12/10 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Mbrennan wrote on 11/12/10 at 12:46am:
Let me know when it's time to build the fun stuff near a shuttle road.

Unfortunately it's going to take a lot more than just "show up and build it". Not that that's not important, but it's only one piece of the puzzle.
      We need folks with patience, maturity and willing to invest the time and resources it takes to get this done.  You know I'll support any kind of trail effort that's been well planned and thought out.  Someone needs to be the leader on this.  Someone who can and will work with the land managers, not get worked up at the first "no" and be willing to make some compromises.  There's plenty of opportunity up/out there and it needs to have the same care, thought and planning that the rest of the trails in the area have gotten.

I'm looking forward to that person making it happen. Smiley

Mark
« Last Edit: 11/12/10 at 1:12pm by The Cycle Path »  

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Mbrennan
Big Ring

Reply #30 - 11/12/10 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I think the ttb ran that person off... 
I would love to be that person but with a family, 3 out of town businesses to run, and a major riding addiction I cannot be that person. I will show up and get dirty though ... paging hudsontp who is a smart guy with much more time on his hands than me ... might be a good time to make amends with the pasa folks. Someone has to step up and be the bigger man at some point

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #31 - 11/13/10 at 4:07am
Print Post  
Supercrusty, we'd love to have you involved in any way you can, because we understand how hard it can be to volunteer time with family and work commitments.

On the other part of your post, I forgot to clarify that we'd like indivduals to lead this that will keep land managers in the loop on what they want to do, get approval before they build, and after a couple years worth of work on more aggressvie trail, we'd actually like to be able to open it to the public and let people actually ride it, vs. just poaching it under the radar.

The door is always open to folks that want to build new trail, but for folks that want to blatantly bash this club and the IMBA standards we build to, and make our forums a place where old and new members don't want to post due to all the BS flaming.....sorry, it's not going to happen. The olive branch has been extended many times, but it gets old after a while when it comes back slapping you in the face.

With that said, the door is always open......

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #32 - 11/14/10 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I live in Kannapolis thus can drive to Uwharrie in the same time as LNSP and less time than WWC. I have ridden there several times, but not recently. Was there once when some one from IMBA was flagging the area. That was when I approached the folks in Albemarle at the shop about helping out, but never heard much out of them.
I want to participate with Uwharrie, and have been interested in that area since moving here 5 years ago. I am familiar with the history of trying to get this horse out of the gate. I figured it was a dead deal until the recent discussion at the TTB meeting. Again I want to participate in this project, however I have to work during the week. 
(I have trail building experience and have worked advocacy, and have worked with land managers including NFS in other parts of the country). 
I will step up as much as I can. Just let me know where, how.
Is there a project committee?

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #33 - 11/14/10 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 11/14/10 at 12:39am:
I live in Kannapolis thus can drive to Uwharrie in the same time as LNSP and less time than WWC. I have ridden there several times, but not recently. Was there once when some one from IMBA was flagging the area. That was when I approached the folks in Albemarle at the shop about helping out, but never heard much out of them.
I want to participate with Uwharrie, and have been interested in that area since moving here 5 years ago. I am familiar with the history of trying to get this horse out of the gate. I figured it was a dead deal until the recent discussion at the TTB meeting. Again I want to participate in this project, however I have to work during the week. 
(I have trail building experience and have worked advocacy, and have worked with land managers including NFS in other parts of the country). 
I will step up as much as I can. Just let me know where, how.
Is there a project committee?

Thanks Tom. No committee yet, but will start one soon. First task will be to meet with the project manager when he comes - hopefully within +/-30 days.

Anyone else for the committee?

Critical, Advocat, Tom F., (prolly one or two of the Albemarle crew) ....

EVERYONE should take a trip out there and ride - and maybe get inspired.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print