Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) $10,000 REI Grant Awarded to our club!!!!!!! (Read 2498 times)
EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

$10,000 REI Grant Awarded to our club!!!!!!!
06/21/11 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Here's a quick story....I post up a "Help Wanted" ad for folks that may not have time to do trailwork, but could make time behind the PC to help out their club with grant writing. David Drummond and Joe Bergman raise their hands, hence the birth of our Grant Writing Committee. 

David was up first working on a $10,000 REI grant that the club was nominated to apply for. The club invested $150 for an online grant writing course that David found on his own. He worked with myself and his online instructor to put together a very nice grant application in between his work, traveling for work, and all his family commitments. 

I received word from REI late last week that the grant proposal David put together won us $10,000 for things like trail building materials (mostly pressure treated lumber), traffic counters we can place on our trails to collect valuable data on how much the facility is used (Trails are a facility just like a gym or rec center), shirts to be given away to volunteers, and food to be provided for our voluneteers. 

Congratulations to David on a job well done!! He made a major impact to the Tarheel Trailblazers sitting behind his PC, since he can't get out and work on the trails much, and we owe him a big THANK YOU. 

Joe's up next as we prepare to apply for the NC Adopt a Trail Grants that become available in the fall. Between now and the fall we're hoping to pass on the knowledge Jim Grover our past President has with putting these grants together, and have Joe ready to take a shot at a $5,000 AAT Grant. 

It takes money to do what we do, being as large an organization as we are, and these grants mean a lot to our livelihood.

Edward Autry
President - Tarheel Trailblazers

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Re: $10,000 REI Grant Awarded to our club!!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 06/21/11 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the work that has gone into getting this grant.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Mac
Coaster Bike

One Big Ass Mistake America

Reply #2 - 06/21/11 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Great work guys! Awesome job!

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I just recently saw the grant application. It really was a thing of beauty (well, relatively speaking of course). Really nice job David!! 

Portions of the funds will be used to help get more folks out on the trails for trail work and maintenance too.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #4 - 06/21/11 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
great news!

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Oden
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 06/22/11 at 2:32am
Print Post  
A BIG............ THANK YOU! Thats awesome you were able to carve out time for your club and the  local community. You're a Top notch guy in my book.

IP Logged

CltMTBer
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 06/22/11 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Well done--Thank you!!!!!

IP Logged

clyde s. dale
Little Ring

And in the morning, I'm
making waffles!

Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Great work and a huge thank you from my family!

PainkillerSPE wrote on 04/12/10 at 8:18pm:
Trust me, I always make sure my skewer is well lubed...

IP Logged

upnover
Little Ring

Don't stand in a canoe

Reply #8 - 06/22/11 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Atta Boy, great job !!!

#wilsoncreeksucks
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

criticalmass
Big Ring

Squirrels, the new TTF

Reply #9 - 06/23/11 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the work!  Congrats on your success.

-... .. -.-. -.-- -.-. .-.. .

IP Logged

Russell

Reply #10 - 06/24/11 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Get job David - YOU ARE THE MAN!

IP Logged

Putt Nasty
Little Ring

Reply #11 - 06/24/11 at 12:22pm
Print Post  

This is Great news!  Thanks!

Life is uncertain.  Don't sip.

IP Logged

Coltsteele

Reply #12 - 07/15/11 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
This is my first post but I have to comment on the impressiveness of being awarded this grant.  It takes a lot of work to get any grant.  Great Job!!
« Last Edit: 07/15/11 at 3:17pm by Coltsteele »  

Coltsteele
Jay T.

1995 GT RTS-1
2003 Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0
1981 Schwinn The Sting BMX

IP Logged

Dennis
In The Loop

Reply #13 - 07/15/11 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I have said it before and I will say it again...I always go to REI first for my outdoor sports equipment & supplies. Yes, I know xyz.com has the item I want at a lower price, but are they awarding our club a $10,000 grant? Are their associates putting their a^^ in the grass to cut trail and host TFKC events? Do they stand behind their products with an unconditional guarantee? I don't think so. Thank you REI for being a good partner to our club and our community. 

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #14 - 07/20/11 at 12:57am
Print Post  
I met David Drummond of our grant writing committee at REI after work, and we picked up the $10,000 check. Looking at it now. Quite nice looking if I must say. 

We're also going to a meeting on 7/30 at REI Pineville before the store opens to let more of the staff see who's getting their grant money, and also give another thank you. 

Also, representatives from REI coming to our August monthly meeting at Fuel Pizza to present a ceremonial big ole lamenated check. PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN ATTEND THIS MEETING. IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE A BIG SHOW OF SUPPORT FOR BOTH THE CLUB AN D REI.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

JimShoe
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 07/31/11 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
My current work schedule, AGAIN, will prevent me from making the monthly meetings. However this past spring at one of the monthly meetings I let the manager of the REI Northlake store know why I shop at REI and thanked him for their support. Yes, they do at times have a bit higher prices. But the quality is unquestionable, there is someone to go to if there are problems, they have been great at helping out and answering questions and there is no doubt of their support for the local outdoor community. XYZ on the Internet can't touch that. Thanks to REI and our new grant writers. FANTASTIC JOB.  Smiley
Now, can we get a grant to buy Eastland Mall and turn it into the worlds biggest baddest indoor bike park?

When the government takes responsibility for the people, the people will no longer take responsibility for themselves

IP Logged

boonetown

Reply #16 - 11/30/11 at 1:57am
Print Post  
that's great! -tony the tiger

IP Logged

Tristan

Reply #17 - 12/02/11 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
awesome job to all involved!  quite impressive work indeed!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print