Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Uwharrie Ribbon Cutting & Ride - THIS SATURDAY (Read 1726 times)
Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Uwharrie Ribbon Cutting & Ride - THIS SATURDAY
11/08/11 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
(OK, this is a double post - hope the moderators don't take my license away ...  Wink)

Uwharrie's Wood Run Trails complex is having its Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting this Saturday. The official festivities start at 12:00 noon, but there will be riding happening all day long.

Basically, we want to thank those who worked long and hard to get Phase I funded and built; including, 5-6 miles of new trail and lots of other improvements. Along with IMBA/SORBA, First Bank of Troy was our biggest donor. Also, Uwharrie Capital and the Albemarle Rotary Club lent a hand. Grants came from North Carolina's Recreational Trails Program and (I believe) through the Montgomery County Tourism Development Authority. (Your own Tarheel Trailblazers gave up some hard earned cash for grant matching funds as well!)

We really want to get a big crowd out at noon to show these donors and the Albamarle and Troy communities that we appreciate their efforts and that we want to continue to work with them to bring more dynamic riding to the Uwharrie National Forest. There should be some food available, perhaps some schwag giveaways too (still working on all that).

The Dirt Divas have a special outing scheduled for this event - so they will be in attendance. 

Never been riding at Uwharrie? This is a perfect chance to check it out. The weather should be perfect and we'll have plenty of folks to show you the trails. (They are relatively easy to follow too.) 

For those of you that have ridden Uwharrie before:

IF YOU HAVEN'T RIDDEN UWHARRIE LATELY, YOU HAVEN'T RIDDEN UWHARRIE.

Come on out and RIDE UWHARRIE! 

Jim Grover
Past President, Tarheel Trailblazers

If anyone can lend a hand to help with this event, please send me a pm.

« Last Edit: 11/09/11 at 10:27pm by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Re: Uwharrie Ribbon Cutting & Ride - THIS SATURDAY
Reply #1 - 11/08/11 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I'm gonna get there around 10 to get a lap in before the party begins if anyone wants to join. Will also be riding after too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

biketriad
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/09/11 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
FYI--

See LINK. The bank logo says the contribution was from the community bank: "First Bank of Troy" not "Bank One".

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

FIRSTBANCORP OF TROY FUNDS RIDE CENTER! Local support could not get any better, First Bank of Troy funded the cash match needed to secure the RTP grant awarded to SORBA for the first phase of the Uwharrie Ride Center project. This is a very significant step in local support and the future of recreation in Uwharrie. “It is our mission to invest in, support and nurture the communities we serve.”

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #3 - 11/09/11 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Not sure if I'm going to ride before or after the ceremony, but my wife and I are coming, Nuker may come out of retirement and join us, and last night I think I talked BikeBikeMike to pass on trail work for one day this month and come ride with us.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
biketriad wrote on 11/09/11 at 4:30pm:
FYI--

See LINK. The bank logo says the contribution was from the community bank: "First Bank of Troy" not "Bank One".

FIRSTBANCORP OF TROY FUNDS RIDE CENTER! Local support could not get any better, First Bank of Troy funded the cash match needed to secure the RTP grant awarded to SORBA for the first phase of the Uwharrie Ride Center project. This is a very significant step in local support and the future of recreation in Uwharrie. “It is our mission to invest in, support and nurture the communities we serve.”

Thanks for noticing this!! I've contacted the moderator to see if they can help.

("D'oh!" headslap; "What a jack***! Gol #!**_!! it-all")

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
EAutry wrote on 11/09/11 at 6:20pm:
Not sure if I'm going to ride before or after the ceremony, but my wife and I are coming, Nuker may come out of retirement and join us, and last night I think I talked BikeBikeMike to pass on trail work for one day this month and come ride with us.

Good idea on BBM. 

You may need to tell Nuker to bring his checkbook. The boy's a bit in arrears.... Grin

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/10/11 at 1:26am
Print Post  
There's a bonus to driving to Uwharrie for a ride. Gas is 25-30 cents a gal. cheaper than CLT. If anyone can explain this to me I'm all ears. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #7 - 11/11/11 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Nuker's still good since he and the better half contributed a few large to the club for website development,  but it's hard to grandfather a membership re-up along with a contribution with our new relationship with IMBA since they've taken over our membership. Don't mean that negative in any way, we just have to get used to our new digs.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #8 - 11/11/11 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Yea, didn't mean to diss the Nuker. Know that he's pulled wayyyyyyyy more than his weight on trail work over the years. (Didn't know about the web work though!)

Now he's prolly gonna shame me on the trails tomorrow with his SS, just like he's done the last 2 rides at Jackrabbit Trail.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #9 - 11/12/11 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Hey all, anyone going to URE from the NM area that I might be able to catch ride with or someone can ride with me?

IP Logged

Biggoofy

Pedal Dammit!

Reply #10 - 11/12/11 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Anyone gonna be up for some riding tomorrow I have some family plans today.

IP Logged

layzbones
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #11 - 11/12/11 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Had a great time with everyone out there today! Was a great turn out for a great set of trails...

Thanks to everyone who worked on them!

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/12/11 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Yeah Man........props too all involved.

IP Logged

upnover
Little Ring

Don't stand in a canoe

Reply #13 - 11/12/11 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 11/12/11 at 10:21pm:
Yeah Man........props too all involved.

X3

#wilsoncreeksucks

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 11/12/11 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Yes good times out there... from the other thread

Quote:
The work they did is pretty sweet.  It removed some of the ruggedness but overall I would say the trail is much better now.  I followed some folks clockwise until I got a rock in my shoe and they dropped me...   

There was one section where I took an option line to the left, as I climbed that section I went over 3 (I think) very nice sized tables and doubles.  They were very similar to the jumps on the trail up to Burnt Mountain for those of you familiar with Dupont.  So when it reconnected back to the trail I turned around (downhill) and hit the jump line and then looped back onto the main trail to continue.  I also really liked the "Trail Head" trail that started at the camp ground and headed back to 24/27.  In that direction that trail had some nice flow a pretty decent sized jump and a very technical rock garden.

All in all good work out there, I hope they take it to the next level and utilize all those rock outcrops throughout that mountain.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print