Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Salisbury Trail Being Maintained (Read 5325 times)
Black29er

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Salisbury Trail Being Maintained
Reply #20 - 06/09/12 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
There is another new section on the trail. It is about a 1/4 mile long. It's located about a 1/4 mile from the railroad ties. It needs to be rode more but once it get packed in I think it will be a lot of fun. There is no sign there and is hard to see.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Black29er

Reply #21 - 06/25/12 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Black29er wrote on 06/09/12 at 12:34pm:
There is another new section on the trail. It is about a 1/4 mile long. It's located about a 1/4 mile from the railroad ties. It needs to be rode more but once it get packed in I think it will be a lot of fun. There is no sign there and is hard to see.

I rode this section again. It's longer now. Still no sign. Lots of fun to ride. If you like dipsy-dos you will love it. I rode it twice. The second was better because I knew what to expect. I can't wait until it get wore in.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #22 - 06/25/12 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I rode there this weekend. All in all it was enjoyable, but a bit Jekyll and Hydeish. The beginning is so wide and fast and packed down and a bunch of fun. Once you cross the powerlines and go to the lake side it starts getting twistier. The one SUPER twisty section after the Swerve and Curve needs some modifications in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I could walk through it faster. Going through a ditch, up the other side and then making an almost 180 and doing it again for 10 times at a snail's pace isn't my idea of fun. I would take out some of the switchbacks and spread out the turns a bit to get some kind of flow. Anything would be better there, since there's no flow at all. I'll skip that section next time. Still, it's worth a trip if you're in the area and looking for something different, especially if you ride SS.
« Last Edit: 06/26/12 at 7:02pm by Shredder »  

IP Logged

Black29er

Reply #23 - 06/25/12 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I agree it needs some work. There was a few switchbacks I had trouble with but I think that will improve once it get down to hard dirt and some tweaking.

IP Logged

thehogsters
Coaster Bike

Reply #24 - 07/09/12 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Shredder wrote on 06/25/12 at 7:14pm:
The one SUPER twisty section after the Swerve and Curve needs some modifications in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I could walk through it faster. Going through a ditch, up the other side and then making an almost 180 and doing it again for 10 times at a snail's pace isn't my idea of fun. I would take out some of the switchbacks and spread out the turns a bit to get some kind of flow. Anything would be better there, since there's no flow at all. I'll skip that section next time. Still, it's worth a trip if you're in the area and looking for something different, especially if you ride SS.

Rode this trail for the first time Sunday morning.  You are 100% spot on about the last option.  I love the up and downs BUT soooooooooo many tight switchbacks.  Seems like they tried to cross the ditch a few to many times making the entire option a hot mess.  Some times less is more Wink

The rest of the trail is fun and would be great with some jumps and stuff on those fast downhill sections.  Thank to all the builders, it's great to have a trial in Salisbury.

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #25 - 07/09/12 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
The trail referenced is called  THUNDER ROAD.   A sign for this new loop has been added and it states that the option is under construction but ridable.   We plan to change this option by changing or eliminating some of the ditch crossings and possibly adding pipe/culverts  to make them safer and faster.  For now, it is HOT and we have to wait for cooler weather to make these changes and add some “fun” areas. Actually a lot has been accomplished on this trail for 3 months work by a few people…..especially when considering Whitewater, Lake Norman and Sherman Branch have been there for years and they have the Tarheel Trailblazers for volunteers.  For now, enjoy riding the completed 6 miles.  We expect to smooth the CURVE & SWERVE option to make it more enjoyable.
Thax for taking time for your comment.  Your opinion is considered to be CONSTRUCTIVE and is appreciated.

GeneD

IP Logged

thehogsters
Coaster Bike

Reply #26 - 07/11/12 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the work Gene.  I moved to Salisbury from Harrisburg about 6 months ago.  I was bummed about moving away from Sherman and PT.  It really is great having the new trail in town.  Hope I can make it out to help with the trail when the weather cools.

IP Logged

josh27292

Reply #27 - 07/19/13 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know if this trail is still being maintained?  Been over a year since my last visit and I'm curious if it's worth the trip.

IP Logged

M2

Reply #28 - 07/19/13 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Trail is in great condition.

IP Logged

zincksink
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #29 - 07/21/13 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Yes this trail is getting there.  Has a bunch of potential and previous posts have it well described.  My view is that the topography is underused on most of the trail and then over used on the twisty part to the point of being something you'd do faster on a trick bike.  But over time I think that can be worked out.  Another issue is the limited park hours.  I have done hours of trail work building a 4 mile trail and will help here in the future.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #30 - 07/22/13 at 1:52am
Print Post  
This trail is in my home town here also and have been going for about two years now.  Great training and the well used sections are a blast.  As others have said the "newer" stuff really just needs rode in more and as the trail builder said, some pipes or perhaps small bridges put in.  If work dates were made public I'd be happy to come lend a hand if my schedule allows.  You guys have done a great job w/ this place.  Keep up the good work.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

jonathan creason
Coaster Bike

Reply #31 - 07/23/13 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
One big bonus to this trail is the soil texture.  It's a fairly sandy loam and dries out pretty quick.  I've been able to get on it soon after rains with no issues.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #32 - 07/23/13 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I'm planning to hit it up tomorrow after work since we've have a couple days to dry out.  Haven't been on it yet this year.  Just the road bike the whole time....

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #33 - 07/25/13 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Got to ride the trail after work this evening.  It is (was before the rain anyway) in great shape!

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

raidermtb
Coaster Bike

Reply #34 - 07/25/13 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Salisbury community park trail is the closest trail to my house I've rode there three times since school let out for the summer. Not many people ride this trail because of the firing rang that runs along one side of the park. I checked google earth and the way that the range is set up gun fire goes away from the park so it is safe to ride there. It would be nice to get some of the sand off of the trail it would make the flow better. Still a good go to trail when lnsp closed. For some reason it rains more at lnsp than in salisbury.

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #35 - 07/25/13 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Notes and several advantages at the Hurley Park trail in Salisbury:
1. It can be rode quicker after rain than about any other trial within 50 miles.   It drains well, drain ditches have been put there...... there is pretty good dirt to handle the water.  Some gullies still need work to handle a lot of constant rain that have happened lately.
2. The total TRAIL trail length  is exactly six miles.   While the primary direction is clock-wise, it can be safely rode in both directions giving a 12 mile ride.  Or, the design allows breaking into shorter lengths/loops giving varying ride lengths.  A permanent map and paper maps are available on 2 kiorsks.
3. The tails is well maintained to keep it clean (downed trees, storms and rains, also stays "blown" in the fall/winter.)
4. All help (and money) is volunteer.  We did not add many "fun" obstacles this summer as was planned.  Maybe we can do this after the hot weather is gone.  There are good signs posted......some signs were given "difficulty ratings" in anticipation of upcoming obstacles but many obstacles are not there yet.  NOTE THE SIGNS/MAPS OR YOU MAY MISS SOME LOOPS.
5. There are several porta-jons (and a nice big restroom near the ball fields) through out the park. You can park in the paved lot near the ball fields or in the large gravel lots.

On your first trip, go straight to the gravel parking lot and park on the left on the far end.  Look for the BIKE TRAIL signs on the left.  The trailhead is 200 yards on the left....on a gravel road that goes to the lake.

It's a good fun ride, nothing dangerous at this point, also good for group rides......30 minutes north of Concord.   It's worth the ride especially of you live north of Charlotte.    Try it and add to your list of rides.

GeneD

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #36 - 08/03/13 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I hit it today and it was in perfect shape. No mud, or any overgrowth at all.

IP Logged

SP74
Coaster Bike

Reply #37 - 08/06/13 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Checked this trail out yesterday and hit it again after work.  A little damp in spots but still rode well.  Is there a number or site to check for whether the trail is open?  Great job on this trail to all that keep it up, you guys have done a lot in a limited amount of space.

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #38 - 08/06/13 at 10:13am
Print Post  
SP74 wrote on 08/06/13 at 1:29am:
Checked this trail out yesterday and hit it again after work.  A little damp in spots but still rode well.  Is there a number or site to check for whether the trail is open?  Great job on this trail to all that keep it up, you guys have done a lot in a limited amount of space.

The park gates close approximately 1/2 hour before dark (always opens 8:00 AM and currently closes at 8:30 PM, signs with annual operational hours are posted there).   
The bike trail is never officially closed.  Posted signs and maps on the kiosks request that riders volunteer to not ride for 24 hours after a rain.  This year, with all the rain, this trail was very ridable when most other trails were closed.......due to good drainage and the dirt.  The trail is exactly six miles but you can ride in both directions if you want more miles, the primary direction is clockwise.   Jumps etc. are being planned but not there yet....as this is a trail with limited volunteers and money.  The trail is well "signed" but recommend you get a map or pay attention to the signs or you may miss a loop or two.

GeneD

IP Logged

SP74
Coaster Bike

Reply #39 - 08/08/13 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Anyone know if it has rained any today or what shape the trail is in.  Live in Statesville, and trying to avoid a trip if it is wet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Print