Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Salisbury Trail Being Maintained (Read 5301 times)
GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Salisbury Trail Being Maintained
03/30/12 at 11:23am
Print Post  
The Salisbury trail is currently 4.5 miles.  During April and May 2012 the trail is undergoing major maintenance to remove many roots and most of those small pesky 2-3 inch tree stumps.  More miles are planned to be added during the spring/summer. It's a pretty good ride and will be more friendly to riders after the maintenance.  More riders are now riding this trail and it is starting to get "rode in".

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

GeneD

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Re: Salisbury Trail Being Maintained
Reply #1 - 03/30/12 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Good, glad to hear it!  It's a fun trail, would be a blast at night time, although I don't think that's an option.

I spoke with one of the builders yesterday, actually ran into him at my warehouse, and had a great conversation about the trail.  Didn't catch his name but he was very enthusiastic about the trail and its potential...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Rob M.

IP Logged

Slo-Moshun
Coaster Bike

Slow Up - Fast Down

Reply #2 - 03/30/12 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
This is certainly good news. I guess I need to get up there and do my part to help "ride it in" Wink

Vita contingit. Vive cum eo.   {Life happens. Live with it}

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 03/30/12 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I hit it for my 1st time last week. I enjoyed my ride. Needs to have more riders. That would help work the trail in. Go hit it its fun.

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

drohwer

Reply #4 - 04/03/12 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Any idea on who to contact to volunteer some free labor to help out on the improving/maintenance? I live up in Salisbury and would be more than willing to help out

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #5 - 04/03/12 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Talk to the folks at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) as I believe they are pretty instrumental in the maintaining of that trail, or at least they can point you in the right direction Cool

Rob M.

IP Logged

driveshaft1

getting older but liking
it

Reply #6 - 04/05/12 at 10:37am
Print Post  
So whats this i hear about a trail maintenance/work part thins coming Tuesday ?

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #7 - 04/05/12 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Salisbury Park Bike Trail Maintenance is scheduled Tuesday, April 10 at 5:30 pm.  Will meet at the trailhead.  Contact Gene DeHart if interested.  Bring an axe and/or maddock. [email protected]

GeneD

IP Logged

driveshaft1

getting older but liking
it

Reply #8 - 04/11/12 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I just wanted to take the time to thank Everyone that showed up last night for the Trail maintenance, Seems we made it further than we thought and Lewis and his crew are hard at work clearing the rest of the trail.

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #9 - 04/11/12 at 10:46pm
Print Post  

I agree with the previous message....much was accomplished on the "trail work day".  The trail is really shaping up.
The next Salisbury Community Park Bike Trail Maintenance is scheduled Tuesday, May 1 at 5:45 pm.  We will meet at the trailhead again.  Contact Gene DeHart if interested.  Bring an axe and/or mattock.     [email protected]

GeneD

IP Logged

Jayson
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 04/14/12 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Anybody know the address for this trail I would love to check it out today.

Thanks

IP Logged

drohwer

Reply #11 - 04/14/12 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Salisbury Community Park 
935 Hurley School Road      
Salisbury NC       

Follow the park entrance, head straight east onto gravel road, then take gravel to the lake access area. Before you reach the lake you'll see a wooden sign board, trail is just to the north of the sign board, (good entrance is NorthEast of board) trail wraps around that north wooded area and then will take you all the way east of the lake as well. Blue paint markings on trees will guide you.

IP Logged

Jayson
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 04/14/12 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you looking forward to it

IP Logged

Black29er

Reply #13 - 04/16/12 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
I rode this trail today. I had a lot of fun. I notice some changes in the in the route but it's hard to tell where they are. Really have to keep your eyes open. I also noticed some other additions that were not completed. I can't wait unit they are complete! Thanks to everyone working out there!

IP Logged

Jayson
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 04/16/12 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Good trail for sure, I was surprised to see so many small roots getting cut out to make it "smoother".  Only thing I would really like to see are more signs, I'm directionally impaired so the more signs the better Smiley

IP Logged

zincksink
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - 04/16/12 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Rode the trail today as the office was slow.  Salisbury is very close, very close, to having a REAL mountain bike trail.  I think the topography is pretty dang good for people knowledgeable to put in some fantastic stuff here.  Salisbury is a pretty good place for its size for having stuff to offer but this is the first step on a mountain bike trail.  Zorda's bunch at Windsong has and should continue to facilitate some effort here as I think it has potential- a bunch of potential actually.   A couple of guys were chopping roots today and said someone has paid them.  I don't live in Salisbury so I'm a little in the dark on who that might be but kudos to whoever it is.

As far as the smooth or root thing I think personally for the development of mountain biking the trail should probably not be a bunch of roots.  Make it fast and fun.  As time passes the roots will of course slowly evolve from the gradual erosion.  But you've either got to go the Hobby Park route or the Uwharrie/Warrior Creek/Wild Turkey route and in my view the trials in Winston have fallen far/far/far behind what's happening in the mountain bike world these days.  Certainly some roots need to be left though.

Just an opinon and I know there's various views - all have merit.
« Last Edit: 04/16/12 at 10:42pm by zincksink »  

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #16 - 04/16/12 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Signs are planned......especially now that more loops and options will be available.  A large trail map will be posted on a new Kiosk that has been installed.  The trail currently has a "MAIN TRAIL" which is considered blue/green......... and blue and black optional loops will branch (out and back loops) off the MAIN TRAIL.

GeneD

IP Logged

driveshaft1

getting older but liking
it

Reply #17 - 04/28/12 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
If you haven't rode this trail in a while its going to be a very big surprise the next ride, major work has been done on removing roots, stumps and other things to make it allot faster and more fun, i rode this morning and met a gentleman named Mike, he was putting the finishing touches on some new sections and it was looking good. Gene went out and marked out about a mile of new trail that should be started and worked on very soon. 

if you haven't been there yet take the ride, there is a down hill that will get to about 30mph lots of fun stuff.
« Last Edit: 04/28/12 at 8:01pm by driveshaft1 »  
IP Logged

Black29er

Reply #18 - 06/05/12 at 12:34am
Print Post  
I rode this trail yesterday. Lots of fun! A bunch of work has been completed. The trail is getting packed well. The new signs are helpful.  Cheesy

IP Logged

driveshaft1

getting older but liking
it

Reply #19 - 06/05/12 at 12:45am
Print Post  
yea Gene is a man on a mission, he has coordinated the new 1 mile section of the trail along with Mike making a few cut off areas. all the signs should be up by now and all we need is some more people to ride it so it gets a little more packed in the new section.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print