Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 29er Chinese Carbon Wheels (Read 2600 times)
Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

29er Chinese Carbon Wheels
09/18/12 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
My first foray into Chinese carbon rims didn't go so well. I ordered some 20 mm road rims that ended up cracking before I could get 105kgf of tension on them. Light Bicyle did warranty the rims and allowed me to switch the rims for some wide 29er rims for a $60 fee plus another $50 shipping.

My rims arrived today so I built them up to see how these would be.  I got to 120kgf with no issues or cracking noises. The finish is not quite as perfect as some of the more expensive carbon rims but, they are pretty round and built up nicely. When they said they were wide, they were not joking. THese things are over 30mm wide but are just as light as some of the Crest rims. Mine were 378 and 412 grams. Unfortunately it may be 3-4 more weeks before I get to ride them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 08/14/13 at 3:57pm by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Re: 29er Chinese Carbon WHeels
Reply #1 - 09/19/12 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Nice.  My light bike carbon wheels have been great so far.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #2 - 09/19/12 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Might have to try a set.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #3 - 09/19/12 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 09/18/12 at 11:56pm:
My first foray into Chinese carbon rims didn't go so well. I ordered some 20 mm road rims that ended up cracking before I could get 105kgf of tension on them. Light Bicyle did warranty the rims and allowed me to switch the rims for some wide 29er rims for a $60 fee plus another $50 shipping.

My rims arrived today so I built them up to see how these would be.  I got to 120kgf with no issues or cracking noises. The finish is not quite as perfect as some of the more expensive carbon rims but, they are pretty round and built up nicely. When they said they were wide, they were not joking. THese things are over 30mm wide but are just as light as some of the Crest rims. Mine were 378 and 412 grams. Unfortunately it may be 3-4 more weeks before I get to ride them.

And a Crest rim would be about ready to fold at that tension, too.  Crests tend to get weird around 100 to 105.  Did you enjoy the sound effects as you aired up the tire for the first time? Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #4 - 09/19/12 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
J- 
Did you set them up tubeless?

Rob M.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 09/19/12 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
These did not make any strange noises during the build process, or when I air them up to 50lbs.

I did set them up to be run tubless, but I have a tube in them right now pressing the tape down.

I think these are a lighter, stronger option to Stans wheels. Unlike a aluminum wheel, they will not bend if tweeked sideways. It is a hit and miss thing on quality control with Chinese venders. If you have a warranty issue, get ready for a long drawn out process that will cost you a few more dollars.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 09/19/12 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 09/19/12 at 4:43pm:
These did not make any strange noises during the build process, or when I air them up to 50lbs.

I did set them up to be run tubless, but I have a tube in them right now pressing the tape down.

I think these are a lighter, stronger option to Stans wheels. Unlike a aluminum wheel, they will not bend if tweeked sideways. It is a hit and miss thing on quality control with Chinese venders. If you have a warranty issue, get ready for a long drawn out process that will cost you a few more dollars.

Painkiller's made awful noises when airing them up with a tube to press down the rim tape.  Thought the dang bead was going to blow off. Tongue  I'v had new Zipp rims make the same noise.  I just hold the wheel well away from me when I air them up!  Shocked

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 09/19/12 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 09/19/12 at 5:43pm:

Painkiller's made awful noises when airing them up with a tube to press down the rim tape.  Thought the dang bead was going to blow off. Tongue  I'v had new Zipp rims make the same noise.  I just hold the wheel well away from me when I air them up!  Shocked

What did you do to my wheels Mark  Shocked

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/19/12 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Couple years ago I was mounting a SB8 in the living room (tubeless)...Tire failed @ the sidewall and blew of the rim... Spraying Stan's all over the place, including on the new couch.  My wife was super happy!!  It's funny.....Now.  Cool thing is that after about a month there was no more evidence of the Stan's!  Not really relevant but pretty funny Smiley

IP Logged

hikenbike
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #9 - 09/19/12 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Do you trust them enough to bomb down No Name or Raiders on them? Or just enough to ride around Clt trails?

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #10 - 09/20/12 at 1:09am
Print Post  
hikenbike wrote on 09/19/12 at 9:37pm:
Do you trust them enough to bomb down No Name or Raiders on them? Or just enough to ride around Clt trails?

Yeah, they'll be just fine.  You can tell alot about a rim when you are  building them and these seem pretty rigid. I have no reservations about  using them on any trail in the mtns. THe only reported flaws some people have had is cracking around the spoke holes, which will show up imediately. No reported catastropic failures. A few peeps have put cracks in them from too low of pressure but even then they amitted a aluminum rim would have dinged just the same. I'm going to ride 'em like I hate 'em.

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #11 - 12/07/12 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
J-
Any long term issues so far?

Rob M.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #12 - 12/07/12 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I've got about a dozen rides on them. I put a few scratches on the rear but they seem to be holding up just fine. I slamed the front in a dip with a rock in the bottom at the Rocky River trail . I hit so hard it bottomed my fork and burped the tire, but no issue so far.

IP Logged

criticalmass
Big Ring

Squirrels, the new TTF

Reply #13 - 01/05/13 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Okay, you've got another month on them.  Broken them yet?

-... .. -.-. -.-- -.-. .-.. .

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #14 - 01/05/13 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I'm still pretty happy with them. I would build another set if I need some rims. I do recommend 2 layers of tape or use the Bonti rim strips when setting them up tubeless. I also do not recommend going with thier lighter weight version unless your under 150. Get the 430 gram + ones. It is not because the light ones are flexy, it is just to get more material in the bead area in case you bottom out on a rock

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 01/05/13 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Critical.  I almost went with Chinese carbons for my new 29er build, but there's a 20+day wait for them.   

I have been using the 26 inch version of these rims since September and they have been amazing.  The wheels have survived hard racing and riding and seen action in Pisgah.  Cove creek, Butter gap, and Farlow Gap.  Still true as the day they were built.   

I will echo what Jerry said.  Use two layers of stans or one layer of the wide specialized blue tape.  I had issues with the valves leaking using one layer of stans.  Tires are also hesitant to seat unless you inflate them to 60 PSI tubeless  Shocked

Overall I'm extremely happy with Light Bicycle rims.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: 29er Chinese Carbon Wheels
Reply #16 - 08/14/13 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Long term  RIM report. 

I'm on my second front tire, and third rear tire. Thrown a big stick in them hard enough to lock the rear wheel down , picked up another stick in them and broke a derailer and hanger, had one spoke break at the threads while JRA on the fire road @ Sherman???,  have about a 1/2 dozen deep rock gouges in them, bottomed out the rear tire from low pressure at least a dozen times, burped the front bad 3 times, I've put 3 sets of rear bearings in the Hope  hub, front  Hope hub bearings are crunchy now.  The Rims are still rolling just fine, no cracks around the spoke holes, no cracks at the bead. I have not babied these, anyone that rides with me knows I hit/jump just about everything out there. I would like to build me another set on a different set of hubs. So far they have been well worth the money.
« Last Edit: 08/15/13 at 9:47pm by Enoch »  

IP Logged

smirniotisice
Coaster Bike

Crash Bandicoot

Reply #17 - 01/04/14 at 1:36am
Print Post  
I just ordered a few.  What nipples and spokes recommendations do you have? Anything else special I should take care of with these rims?  Thanks

I've crashed everywhere!!!

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #18 - 01/04/14 at 1:40am
Print Post  
If you want it 100% correct, I recomend ordering the spokes after you measure the rim. ERD can fluctuate on these rims.
« Last Edit: 01/04/14 at 1:41am by Enoch »  

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #19 - 01/04/14 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 01/04/14 at 1:40am:
If you want it 100% correct, I recomend ordering the spokes after you measure the rim. ERD can fluctuate on these rims.

Yes they can. Just built another set for a customer and they were off 1-2mm from advertised ERD. But honestly, that doesn't make much of an impact on spoke length unless you get shorted. I always round up on my spoke length anyway. I like to get the spoke to the top of the nipple if possible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print