Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Kids MTB Camp (Read 631 times)
Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Kids MTB Camp
05/07/13 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
MOUNTAIN BIKE CAMP

Anne Springs Close Greenway

Tuesday, Wednesday, & *Thursday
9:00am-1:00pm
(*Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm)

Reg. # 660004-01 June 11 - 13 Tuesday-Thursday 9:00am-1:00pm
Reg. # 660004-02 July 9 -11 Tuesday-Thursday 9:00am-1:00pm
Reg.#660004-03 August 13- 15 Tuesday-Thursday 9:00am-1:00pm

For Ages: 9-14

Come join the new era. Learn new technical riding skills or just gain more confidence on the bike while riding trails. Mountain biking is a sport where self-esteem is gained and adrenalin runs free. These camps are geared for boys and girls between the ages of 9-14. Your child must already know how to ride a bike. Camp will run Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesday camp will run 9:00am-1:00, Thursday camp will run from 9:00am – 5:00pm with your child bringing his/her bathing suit, towel and a bag lunch. On Thursday we’ll bike to the Recreation Complex, swim and return. Campers will be dropped off and picked up at the Field Trial Barn, located on Springfield Parkway. 

NOTE: Also on Thursday, we invite all parents to come back at 4:00pm and witness your child’s new skills.

Fee: $200
(ASCG and/or Complex Members receive a $25 discount)

General Information:  Mountain biking is a fairly new sport but has taken off rapidly.  Come join the new era.   Learn new technical riding skills or just gain more confidence on the bike while riding trails.  Mountain biking is a sport where self esteem is gained and adrenalin runs free.

Equipment Needed:  Closed toe shoes, helmet and a water bottle.  The bike will need to have hand brakes, and fat tires (mountain, BMX or hybrids type bikes are great, no road bikes).  Gears of any kind and suspension forks or shocks are nice but not necessary.

Safety:  As with any sport, there are inherit risks when riding the trail system, where roots and rocks could pose a risk.  This camp emphasis will be the correct position on the bike, riding in control and proper trail etiquette.
Instructors: Patty Smith and Doug Satterwhite are the instructors.  
Patty was NC State Champion in 2004 and 2005, raced professionally in 2005 and placed 55th in the nation.  Patty was the Mountain Bike Director at Camp Green Cove for girls in 2008 and 2009, leading many day and overnight biking trips to Western NC trails.  Patty also Co-Founded the Dirt Divas; a women’s mountain biking club (non-profit) that has been in existence for 10 years.  She has lead numerous group rides of all levels and currently holds a Wilderness First Responder certification.
Doug Satterwhite has been a mountain biker for 20+ years.  Doug is actively employed in the local cycling industry as an assistant race director, facilitating more than 60 races a year.  Cycling has been a family affair and has brought many, many fun and adventurous days to their lives. Doug exhibits great patience with new riders and has the intuitiveness that is needed in teaching.  Previously Doug has been an airline mechanic which has given him a great skill set to wrench bikes.  Doug has also been a leader in the Boy Scouts giving him numerous experiences with kids and the outdoors. 
Thank You for choosing Leroy Springs Recreation.
We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy this program.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Kids MTB Camp
Reply #1 - 05/07/13 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
My boys are both registered and looking forward to it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 06/12/13 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I know there is still 1 day left, but I wanted to thank Doug and Patty.  They have been awesome with the kids and braving the hot humid days like this.

You two are awesome.

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/02/13 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks Carl. It was hot but we had a great time with all eight of the Kids.
We  still have a few openings for the camp next week. If you have any kids sitting around the house playing video games instead of getting out and riding their bike sign them up they will enjoy the camp.
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print