Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic International bike shipping? (Read 1108 times)
Sandman
Big Ring

International bike shipping?
05/14/13 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Anyone have a good carrier for international shipping? Specifically a complete bike from Charlotte to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I priced it on Bikeflights.com and it came out to $600!

Thanks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Re: International bike shipping?
Reply #1 - 05/14/13 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
it's probably not worth the hassle, i've read horror stories about things being shipped international (not brazil particularly, but canadia) and not showing up for a long ass time being stuck in customs and whatnot.  buyer will become pissed off that it takes weeks longer than expected to arrive and then they'll likely pay extra taxes and &^&^ in customs etc.  after 2 weeks you'll be getting called out on pinkbike for being shady and then you'll waste time defending yourselfand going back and forth with diogo or joao that you'll wish you kept it american, imo.

if you go that route i'd be sure to have tracking # and insurance but you already knew that
« Last Edit: 05/14/13 at 5:26pm by isitwinteryet »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 05/15/13 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I'm going to risk in. According to the Iranian Businessman, its easy. He sends me a check for $600,000,000.00. I take $20,000,000 and ship him the bike along with the balance of his money.

Just kidding.

I am going to try it though. The buyer has bought from a friend of mine before and both say is works fine as long as I package the wheels in one box and the rest in another. He's paying upfront for the bike. Then I break it down, box it up, and take it to whatever shipping place to get a rate. Then he paypals me the shipping and I drop it off.

I feel like risks are averted this way.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #3 - 05/15/13 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
seems better that someone you know has at least dealt with the guy.  although the check for $600,000,000 sounds like the best way to approach it.

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/24/13 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
FYI this transaction went really well. He paid upfront for both the bike and later on the shipping before anything left my hands. He is happy with the sale as am I. 

Here is the new owner in his element:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

-John Muir

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/24/13 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
How much did it end up costing to get to him?

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/24/13 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
$228.60 USD paid for by the buyer. According to him, its worth it due to the high cost of quality bike parts in Brazil.

-John Muir

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/13 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Well it's a lot better than the $600!

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 06/25/13 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 06/25/13 at 11:24am:
Well it's a lot better than the $600!

Yep. I shipped USPS Priority Mail and separated the bike into 2 boxes. 1 for wheels, tires, etc. and 1 for everything else. In the frame box, I even took the shock off and separated the front and rear triangles then wrapped them and put the rear inside the front. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

-John Muir

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print