Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Myrtle Beach - The Hulk (Horry Run bike park) (Read 2652 times)
csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Myrtle Beach - The Hulk (Horry Run bike park)
05/26/13 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Just rode this trail this AM.... if anyone gets down here and needs a place to ride... definitely recommended... so surprising for a coastal trail... figured it'd be all flat/sandy.  Surprising is an understatement... thought the full squish was gonna be overkill but it was actually perfect... the first 1/2 mile set the tone (consisting of nice short climbs, nice steep drops, berms, jumps here and there).  Roller Coaster ride for a good bit of it.  Some nice jumps/drops... surprised the heck out of me... after hitting some features... wanted to see how much travel I was using... to my surprise... this coastal trail bottomed out my fork (150mm) and I have it stiffer than usual.  Trail builders really did well using the features of the landscape there.  Glad I brought the squish along instead of the hardtail... now I know I have some other options when down at the beach!
« Last Edit: 05/26/13 at 5:17pm by csquared »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Myrtle Beach - The Hulk (Horry Run bike park)
Reply #1 - 05/27/13 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
What is the length of the trail?  It is a 45 minute drive from where I'm at.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #2 - 05/27/13 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Looks like a 6 mile loop. Here's some more info on it:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And a map:

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #3 - 05/27/13 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
^^^ yeah... Sir not appearing has it correct.  I rode one lap, having studied the map I just used the service road after 1st lap to re-ride a lot of the fun sections as I really didn't have time for another full lap.  Really like the trail.  Will be my goto trail when back at the beach.

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #4 - 05/27/13 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
very cool to have some trail near the beach!

Rob M.

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 05/27/13 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
This is great, my sis lives there and been blowing off invites (hate crowds/tourist traps) . Guess I will have to go see my sweet lil sis!

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

Captain Awesome
Small Cog

Work, Ride, Repeat

Reply #6 - 05/27/13 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
phattire wrote on 05/27/13 at 11:17pm:
This is great, my sis lives there and been blowing off invites (hate crowds/tourist traps) . Guess I will have to go see my sweet lil sis!

Real nice motives Wes 

Smiley

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/28/13 at 12:27am
Print Post  

Ha exact same story.  I'll bring the bike next time.  Have to go for a dance recital June 15.  This just got a bit better!

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 05/28/13 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Thanks guys I don't feel as bad!

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #9 - 05/28/13 at 1:29am
Print Post  

You won't regret it... Just bring tools/brushes and some lube to maintain your drivetrain... Your on the coast so you'll pick up a little bit of sand.  Nothing terribly bad... but just saying.
« Last Edit: 05/28/13 at 1:29am by csquared »  

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 05/28/13 at 1:35am
Print Post  
You should check out Brunswick Nature PArk. It's a little under an hour drive from Mrytle Beach but worth the drive. Watch out for gators on the trail.

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #11 - 05/30/13 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Headed to Surfside June 19th - 23rd and was planning on riding this trail.. now I'm very excite to ride..  I was under your same assumption but this will be fun.

IMBA member.
IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #12 - 05/30/13 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I go to Murrell's Inlet (Garden City Beach area) every year, and have only been road riding in the past.  I will be taking the SS for some trail riding now.  Cheesy
It's 30 mins from where I stay.
« Last Edit: 05/30/13 at 9:49pm by KitJ BBQman »  

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/31/13 at 12:59am
Print Post  
A friend of mine lives in Myrtle Beach and is real excited to have a place to ride again.  He said there are a couple areas where the sand can wreck you but overall it is a really nice trail.  I guess this year I'll take my clubs and bike when I go down!

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #14 - 06/01/13 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Quote:
A friend of mine lives in Myrtle Beach and is real excited to have a place to ride again.  He said there are a couple areas where the sand can wreck you but overall it is a really nice trail.  I guess this year I'll take my clubs and bike when I go down!

It was really nicely packed on the majority of the trail.  If it was a little sandy, it was on some straights where you are essentially riding to connect to the other parts of the trail or where the sand is probably exposed to the sun 24/7 else, I had no problems with the sand.  I was really surprised how well it rode and surprised to see Berms, steep drops, jumps, nice short 10-30yard climbs that def keep you honest.  If you are riding SS, you'll definitely get your work on some of those climbs.  Possible you may even find yourself hiking the bike up some sections.  I think of it as a Giant Bowl with ravines which gives the trail it's unique features (climbs, descents, drops).  Essentially a sand pit which the Waccamaw Trailblazers have definitely been playing in.  Needless to say, I was so surprised I was laughing out loud and enjoying myself and in some sections had to stop and hike/ride the bike back the other direction to ride certain sections again!

There is definitely some untapped features there just begging to be ridden in a gravity oriented way from what I could see.  I saw one right off the trail and walked it... think Devils Drop at Poplar (about same height) without the roots but WAY steeper.

As for Murels Inlet, 100++++ on that.... can't stand the abundance of commercialization in Myrtle Proper... just give me the beach (I'd gladly pay for Huntington Beach State Park), some R&R... with this trail... makes for a great getaway!
« Last Edit: 06/01/13 at 11:24am by csquared »  

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 06/15/13 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
My buddy and I rode this trail this morning. Despite what the locals called "heinous climbs", its no harder than the green trail at WWC, and less technical. It's also brutal on your drivetrain. We did one lap and I was worried about trashing it more. This place is made for a belt drive, rigid ss. That said, I doubt I'd ride there again unless I had that bike, it's not worth the drivetrain abuse.

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Reply #16 - 06/17/13 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Shredder wrote on 06/15/13 at 5:43pm:
My buddy and I rode this trail this morning. Despite what the locals called "heinous climbs", its no harder than the green trail at WWC, and less technical. It's also brutal on your drivetrain. We did one lap and I was worried about trashing it more. This place is made for a belt drive, rigid ss. That said, I doubt I'd ride there again unless I had that bike, it's not worth the drivetrain abuse.

Shredder, did you run into a guy wearing a First Flight jersey? Had a good customer say he ran into someone from Charlotte as he was finishing up. Said the trail was pretty wet and nasty.

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
wes@firstflightbikes.com
IP Logged

HEADSUP
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 06/17/13 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Tell Andy to quit whinning wes!!!! HA HA HA HA

Lets ride!!!

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 06/17/13 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
timbercomp wrote on 06/17/13 at 2:28am:

Shredder, did you run into a guy wearing a First Flight jersey? Had a good customer say he ran into someone from Charlotte as he was finishing up. Said the trail was pretty wet and nasty.

Nope, didn't see another rider. It wasn't really wet, just nasty. My drivetrain is mad at me.

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Reply #19 - 06/17/13 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
HEADSUP wrote on 06/17/13 at 4:49pm:
Tell Andy to quit whinning wes!!!! HA HA HA HA

That's what Andy is good at.

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
wes@firstflightbikes.com
IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #20 - 06/28/13 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Shredder wrote on 06/15/13 at 5:43pm:

Berm, if I ride a 32x18 or 19 here, do you think I should slap on a 17t for this place?  Headed to Murrells Inlet Monday.
« Last Edit: 06/28/13 at 11:47pm by KitJ BBQman »  

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #21 - 06/29/13 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I'd stick with the 18. You never really have any spots to wind it out and the 18 will be better for the brutal climbs. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #22 - 06/29/13 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I was there last week and didn't enjoy it at all.  They must not have gotten any rain in awhike because the sand was just about unrideable.. be careful on the carpet they have down, some of it is not secured down and wrapped around my front tire on the first drop on the 6 mile loop causing me to break off my shifter... won't be returning there again... I may jst not have had the right tires to ride there..

IMBA member.
IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #23 - 06/29/13 at 5:07am
Print Post  
That's unfortunate reading from the past couple riders there.  I had a completely opposite experience and had a blast.  Maybe I lucked out riding it early(ish/er) in the year as the trail treated me and the drivetrain well.  Hate you guys didn't enjoy it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print