Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tubeless issue - Bead (Read 2379 times)
49erRider
Ex Member

Tubeless issue - Bead
06/02/13 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Picked up a set of SS wheels on here about 2 months ago or so and was having no issues until my rear tire got a bubble in it.  Quick google search showed that Stans will do that to tires from time to time.  No big deal just got a new tire. 

Well I picked up a Racing Ralph Tubeless ready, filled it with stans and then threw it on.   

Now I've read mixed reviews about how to get the bead to sit.  Some people say pump it up to about 50 and get that loud ping sound.  Well I got it to about 42 or so and BOOM it blew off the room spewing stans everywhere.  Tried it one more time and around the same PSI same thing happend.   

Now the issue is once I get it to around 25 or so about where I'll ride it the little "strip" doesn't sit even all the way around the tire.  It holds pressure fine, I rode it up and down the street fine, but there is one area on the tire where it is wider than others.   

Rim is a Bontrager Mustang with Stans tape - Again Wheel worked fine with other tire.   

Here is a picture of where it is "wider"

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

As you can see where it get's to the R in Racing it starts to widen out and then narrows back in.  I like running tubeless but my bike has been down a week because of this and am about to just throw a tube in there.   

Any ideas?  Should I just take it to a shop and see if they can get it?

Thanks,

Brad

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Re: Tubeless issue - Bead
Reply #1 - 06/02/13 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Is it "out of true" when you spin it?  I find that when it's not lined up right it makes the wheel wobble....Also did you soap the sidewalls well with warm soapy water before inflating?  That usually helps the tire slide in to the bead real well...I say if it's holding air and doesn't wobble much ride it and see how it goes....Although I would deflate and soap it up real well to see if that helps it seat....The only other thing is that some of Bonty's rims are Asymmetrical and require a special rim strip...But if you were already running it tubeless I don't see how that should matter......Lastly, (sorry for the long wind) sometimes I will literally pull the narrow spot out with my hands by pinching and pulling the inflated tire in that spot....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
It doesn't look like the tire is hooked into the bead properly.

Is it possible you have the rim strip too high at that point?

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Honestly it looks like a defective bead.  Most of the RR's I've installed have had no issues but lately I've had a couple of Bontrager tires get to about 35 and then blow off the bead.  My only known suggestion as a fix is to either run any Specialized 2Bliss kevlar bead tire or a UST tire.  Seems the beads on both are much more substantial.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Not sure about the mustang rims but my Bontranger Race lites use a plastic strip for the tubeless setup instead of tape.  I think the plastic strips might trap the bead between them and the hook like a stans strip (not sure on this though).   

I've had used racing ralphs blow off on those rims before but they have been mounted on stans crest and I think they could have been stretched out.

I never put stans in until the tire is beaded up and will hold air.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #5 - 06/03/13 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 06/02/13 at 10:49pm:

I never put stans in until the tire is beaded up and will hold air. 

Smiley  Same here... all the tips suggested here I would follow/check.  I'll mount the tire on, moisten with soapy water and then will pump the tires until I know they will bead up to the rim.  Once that's done I'll partially unmount a section of the tire enough to pour in some Stans, complete the mounting again and pump till beads set.   

Here's the youtube vid from Trek.

To my surprise, I've read on some forums folks having similar issues with Schwalbes and indicating it's due to quality control.  Not that I've ever experienced it or can quantify.  Just saying what I've read.  Nonetheless, there are ton's who also have good success so... take it for what it is.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/03/13 at 12:35am
Print Post  
The rim tape was a little high in that section so I trimmed it up just a little bit, which seemed to help.  I had to run so didn't really get a chance to check it much but right now it looks way more uniform around the tire.  I'm going to give it a good ride around the neighborhood tomorrow and see if it holds.   

Thanks,

Brad

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 06/03/13 at 2:00am
Print Post  
When I went ghetto tubeless I had a extremely small bit of gorilla tape up on my rim bead in one spot and nearly lost all my teeth on an OTB blowout at Sherman. It doesnt take much to interfere with the rim/tired bead seating up right. Take it easy on it until you know for sure it wont blowout on you.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/03/13 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Ha Dang, 

Now I'm nervous again.  Think I might just take it somewhere.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/05/13 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Stupid tire blew out on a road ride around the neighborhood.  Took it to a shop and they claimed they didn't know how to get them on well either.  I'm hoping it was just their mechanic wasn't in. 

Anyone in the Fort Mill/South Charlotte want to take a second to look at it?

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 06/05/13 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and get bontrager's rim strip or Stans rim strip. They help keep the bead in the hook of the rim. Just taping the rim doesn't always work.

Looks like they should only be ten bucks each.

and some additional reading material...

« Last Edit: 06/05/13 at 7:24pm by Screaming Knees »  

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #11 - 06/05/13 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Screaming Knees wrote on 06/05/13 at 7:10pm:
Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and get bontrager's rim strip or Stans rim strip. They help keep the bead in the hook of the rim. Just taping the rim doesn't always work.

Looks like they should only be ten bucks each.

and some additional reading material...

I'll second the bonty rim strip.  My remedy being used, when I went to go tubeless took the Tube out to find that the original owner already had a rim strip in place but it was a schwable rim strip.  Needless to say, the rim strip didn't look like it was up to the job so I picked up the Bonty rim strip and valve core.  Had no issues and tires mounted up just fine.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/05/13 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Yah I'm just perplexed as how I put probably 150 miles on the other system and who knows how much the previous owner did without an issue.  Just sucks not riding that bike.  Think I might just throw a tube in there and be done with it.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #13 - 06/05/13 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Before I would chunk it, I would try a different tire. THat one has blown off several times. I think it may be trying to communicate a message.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/05/13 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Yah I threw my old tire and tube back on.  I think it might be the tire also.  Bummer.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 06/06/13 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
maybe you can exchange it for another? You say it was a tubeless specific tire...maybe it's defective?

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/09/13 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Well fairly certain it was the tire.  Brand New Racing Ralph.  Grabbed a "more used" one from a buddy and it looks uniform all the way around.  Only pumped it up to about 25 and am to nervous to keep going for that "ping" sound.  I'm going to have someone more well versed in the tubeless scene check this out for me though. 

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/16/13 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Ok hopefully the last post in this thread.   

It was the tire.  New to me tire put on and held air pressure just fine.  Never heard a pop or ping so had me worried but got it up to a high psi tire stayed on.  Brought it down and held air just fine.  Did 4 miles on the road and 2 laps at Springs today.  I'm fairly certain this thing isn't going anywhere. 

Thanks guys!

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #18 - 06/16/13 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 06/16/13 at 9:08pm:
Ok hopefully the last post in this thread.  

It was the tire.  New to me tire put on and held air pressure just fine.  Never heard a pop or ping so had me worried but got it up to a high psi tire stayed on.  Brought it down and held air just fine.  Did 4 miles on the road and 2 laps at Springs today.  I'm fairly certain this thing isn't going anywhere. 

Thanks guys!

Did my first ride yesterday at Sherman after going tubeless and it was perfect. I took it easy thr first few miles thrn let it rip and all was good.

IMBA member.
IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/16/13 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Ha I did the same thing.  It's pretty scary in the beginning.  Every hill or bump I was like oh crap it's going to blow.  Then it never did!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print