Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1st camping trip (Read 1525 times)
criticalmass
Big Ring

Squirrels, the new TTF

1st camping trip
06/03/13 at 2:03pm
Print Post  

I want to take my 3.5 year old on a camping trip before it gets too hot.  Problem is, I've never camped any where near my house.  Always headed to mountains or further.  Hope you all can help me out.   

What I'm looking for:
-Car Camping site
-Facilities 
-Within an hour or so of Harrisburg (in case we have to bail).
-Relatively easy hiking trails and/or water

I was looking at Morrow Mountain.  Anyone ever camp there?  I haven't hiked/been there in 20+ years.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

-... .. -.-. -.-- -.-. .-.. .

IP Logged

Dismembered
Coaster Bike

Ride hard or go home...

Re: 1st camping trip
Reply #1 - 06/03/13 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I haven't camped there but there are some pretty easy trails that your little man can handle, and there is a lake in the park that you can rent canoes and small boats to go putting around in. They do allowing fishing there as well. I am not positive but I believe they have a pool there as well.
« Last Edit: 06/03/13 at 2:49pm by Dismembered »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

~Support~
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 06/03/13 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I practically grew up there. They have 3 camping loops...2 have power and 1 does not. I always choose the loop without power to avoid being entertained by others' TV and radio. The bathhouses are very nice, as campgrounds go. They also have a primitive camping area for groups (Scouts, etc). The roads are all paved, so if your son rides a bike or a strider, take it and he can ride around the camping loops. They do have a pool, but if that's important to you, you may want to call to see if it's open yet. They have plenty of easy hiking trails of various lengths through nice rolling woods. They have a marina of sorts on Tillery with jon boats you can rent, as well as a large dock you can fish from. You need a license. They've got a boat ramp if you have a boat to bring. Firewood is available for purchase. A small wildlife museum that your son might enjoy. You're guaranteed to see some deer (live ones). Be sure to drive to the top of Morrow Mtn to the picnic area with some nice views of Lake Tillery and the surrounding mtns.

For you, the campground is about 20 minutes from the Wood Run trails.

Go there...it will be your son's favorite place in all the world!
« Last Edit: 06/03/13 at 3:11pm by Cherokee »  

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

wild_bill34
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 06/03/13 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Would this Be Harrisburg NC?

You should look into McDowell Nature Preserve down on Lake Wylie its right of HWY 49 aka South Tryon and has everything you listed out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #4 - 06/03/13 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
You could take a look at Camp Spencer just north of Concord.  It's a super kid friendly place with play grounds, a pool, fishing and hiking area.  I know that have tent camping and cabins.  Not sure about power and such though.  It's operated by Cabarrus county parks and rec I think and was a former boy scout camp.  If memory serves, they have all of the info on the county web site.  My daughter's girl scout troop spent the weekend there last month.  It worked out great for them.  Might be a little tame for some, but lots to do for a 3.5 year old...

IP Logged

mtbchk
Forum Administrator

rocks are good

Reply #5 - 06/03/13 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Funny you ask about this.  I am currently planning a first car-camping trip with my 4 year old.  LNSP seems to be our leading choice right now, especially for the proximity to home if we have to bail.  I think it has everything you are looking for.  I am planning to take him (and his bike, of course!) on a weeknight so it won't be as crowded.  If one night goes smoothly, we may stay for two... playing it all by ear with contingency plans in place!

IP Logged

Lrak2.0
Coaster Bike

Up the Irons!

Reply #6 - 06/04/13 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Possibly Cane Creek? Never camped there but seems I remember fairly nice camping area,store,playground,beach. When we used to ride there, appeared to be family and kid friendly but that was years ago.

"Sorry folks-parks closed,the moose out front should've told ya"

IP Logged

criticalmass
Big Ring

Squirrels, the new TTF

Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Was considering LNSP, but it's actually further from me (according to google).  Might still give it a go.   

-... .. -.-. -.-- -.-. .-.. .

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 06/04/13 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Uwharrie, on the east side of the lake is nice.

IP Logged

mtbchk
Forum Administrator

rocks are good

Reply #9 - 06/17/13 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Just posting a follow-up..

Took my 4 year old son to LNSP campground last week, Tues-Thurs.  We had a blast.  Some sites are a little close together, so scoping it out before making site reservations would be good.  I could see it being pretty crowded on the weekend.  On the flip side, it would be a good place for a couple of families to camp side-by-side, especially where we were... (Site 14 -- very close to Site 13).

We hiked, did pedal boats, threw rocks in the lake (his new favorite thing to do...).  He loved cooking over the campfire.

The host and ranger were both very nice and accommodating.  They warned us about the wildlife, and they were not kidding!  The squirrels are very bold and will take your stuff even while you are sitting right there.  Just because you washed your camp utensils/pots/pans, don't think they won't get up on the table and get IN your stuff and lick anything that might have had food on or in it at some point.  They will steal your food, too.  I also came face-to-face with a raccoon one night as he was wandering over to our neighbor's site to eat the dog food they left out.

They sell firewood for $5 a bundle which is a little pricey, but each bundle was enough for an evening's fire, and worth it to not have the hassle of bringing our own in the car.

The host told me there were some other Trailblazers there on Tuesday night, and I meant to walk over and say "HI", but I missed them.  So, if you are reading this, ...."HI!"  (not sure who it was, or if they are on the forums).

ETA:  Since the canopy is very thick there, all the sites were very shaded, so even though it was in the 90s it didn't really feel that sweltering.
« Last Edit: 06/17/13 at 12:41pm by mtbchk »  

IP Logged

Dad2TnR
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 06/18/13 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I just returned from my first camping trip with my 2 5-year olds.  They're a little bit older, so I ventured farther - up to the Boone area.  We stayed at Grandfather Mountain Campground and had a blast.  I've spent alot of time up that way, so I had a pretty good idea of things to do.   

The campground is great and there are a few sites that are exceptionally private with direct access to a little creek.  They have a small playground and a big grassy field, but to be honest, 5-year olds don't need alot of entertainment camping.  The creek, the campfire, etc. was plenty to keep them busy.

If you want to venture away from the campground, Grandfather Mtn. is 6 miles down the road - a little pricey, but they have a cute little zoo.  You can head into Boone and visit a really great Town playground, or drive up to Howards Knob.  A few more miles will bring you to Tweetsie Railroad, if that's your thing.  tons of stuff to do, or do nothing at all.

I'm really excited that my boys are of age where we can really get out and do stuff.  It won't be long before we start bringing bikes with us Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print