Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uhwarrie - Shame! (Read 7800 times)
RobP
Big Ring

Uhwarrie - Shame!
06/08/13 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I am not sure who the race promoter was for last weekend's race, but I guess the "Leave No Trace" rule does not apply to them.  On my ride out there today I am pretty sure they did not remove ANY tape from their race as it was up or on the ground at EVERY Keyauwee intersection.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) UhwarrieTape06082013-1.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Uhwarrie - Shame!
Reply #1 - 06/08/13 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
What were the trail conditions like today?
Ive had nearly 5 inches since Monday morning with a big blasting again last night. 
Just sayin Wink
« Last Edit: 06/08/13 at 11:26pm by SurlyDave »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 06/08/13 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 06/08/13 at 11:23pm:
What were the trail conditions like today?
Ive had nearly 5 inches since Monday morning with a big blasting again last night. 
Just sayin Wink

Detailed description
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

I'll be headed back tomorrow.  It should be near perfection

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #3 - 06/09/13 at 1:19am
Print Post  

Rob:
Please contact the USFS here about the litter left on Uwharrie.
I know they have no tolerance for this.

Uwharrie Ranger District
District Ranger, Deborah Walker
789 NC 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371
(910) 576-6391
uwharrie@fs.fed.us

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/09/13 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 06/09/13 at 1:19am:

Rob:
Please contact the USFS here about the litter left on Uwharrie.
I know they have no tolerance for this.

Uwharrie Ranger District
District Ranger, Deborah Walker
789 NC 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371
(910) 576-6391
uwharrie@fs.fed.us

Done, thanks for the info.

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #5 - 06/09/13 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Shame shame shame I know your name
Tattle brah civilian justice lock them boys up

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #6 - 06/09/13 at 3:03am
Print Post  
So instead of doing just a little research and discovering the race was #7 of the Southern Classic series and contacting the promoter directly you took the brilliant move in contacting the Uwharrie Ranger District and thus jeopardizing the usage of Uwharrie for future races. Perhaps you didn't stop to think that might even have an negative impact on our privilege to ride a mountain bike there in the future. 

I'm gonna assume you at least did one smart thing and picked up all the forgotten tape that a volunteer from the race forgot or did not see while rushing to get out of the woods before dark.

ciao
Santana
« Last Edit: 06/09/13 at 3:03am by santana »  

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 06/09/13 at 3:21am
Print Post  
santana wrote on 06/09/13 at 3:03am:
So instead of doing just a little research and discovering the race was #7 of the Southern Classic series and contacting the promoter directly you took the brilliant move in contacting the Uwharrie Ranger District and thus jeopardizing the usage of Uwharrie for future races. Perhaps you didn't stop to think that might even have an negative impact on our privilege to ride a mountain bike there in the future. 

I'm gonna assume you at least did one smart thing and picked up all the forgotten tape that a volunteer from the race forgot or did not see while rushing to get out of the woods before dark.

ciao
Santana

1) I don't race XC
2) I feel no obligation to someone that used a resource that I pay for with my tax dollars for profit and abused it.
3)  Its not a volunteer's responsibility, it is the PROMOTER'S.
4)  I have been mountain biking for a long time, including being directly involved with putting on races.  I know the difference between a volunteer missing a piece of tape or a section vs.  The ENTIRE RACE course was still taped a week later.  The promoter just didn't even put ANY effort or coordination into picking up tape after the race.

IP Logged

betty
Coaster Bike

Do or do not.

Reply #8 - 06/09/13 at 5:32am
Print Post  

ciao
Santana

This is not different than hikers,campers,general D-bags or anyone else abusing the trails from what I've seen in this state. The promoter made a mistake.. so let's hang him.. hmmm. I think being a "bigger" person and calling responsibility to the promoters attention would have been more well heard in this instance. Though Rob you do have a very valid point that I could stand behind.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #9 - 06/09/13 at 10:56am
Print Post  
The race promoter signed an agreement with the USFS. Not cleaning up the mess is on him. It is not Rob P or my responsibility nor appropriate to contact the promoter. This is between the promoter and the USFS. 
This does not affect usage of the forest. It reflects on the promoter who had a week to clean the course. Whoever the promoter is they will be back wanting to use our forest again. 
Rob P was there to use the forest, not spend his time hauling trash. If it was one or two spots he would have grabbed it. 
The tape had been there a week. A day or two is one thing, and if whoever the promoter has it cleaned up this weekend then fine.

Chow

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

cmowery3
Big Ring

I wanna ride!

Reply #10 - 06/09/13 at 11:33am
Print Post  
This BS really gets old.  If i have a problem with you, you're gonna hear it from me.  Guess courtesy & bravery are thrown aside when you dislike someone so much...

Ride & Smile...

IP Logged

Dirtparticle73
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 06/09/13 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I just dont understand how some race tape hanging on trees could cause such a mess for Rob,  I mean its not like there were walmart bags and candy wrappers hanging from the trees. 

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 06/09/13 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Dirtparticle73 wrote on 06/09/13 at 1:40pm:
I just dont understand how some race tape hanging on trees could cause such a mess for Rob,  I mean its not like there were walmart bags and candy wrappers hanging from the trees. 

Roll Eyes

Dont worry I lived.  However if you read the text it was left up at EVERY Keyauwee intersection.  I just find it ironic how up in arms folks get if someone rides a trail while the moisture content exceeds the perceived proper index level and you may or may not leave a tread on the trail, an individual leaves a tube hanging on a tree, or rides with their unleashed dog.  Well here we have systemic littering by someone who made a profit using the trail system.  I mean there are people on here that actively look to identify riders who poach a trail while it is wet, pass inappropriately or have their dogs with them when they ride.  In this case the perpetrator is known.

Seemed crappy to me so I posted it.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #13 - 06/09/13 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I rode Uwharrie yesterday and was every bit as annoyed as Rob was. It was really obnoxious.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

cmowery3
Big Ring

I wanna ride!

Reply #14 - 06/09/13 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Was it disrespectful & irresponsible?  Of course.  My point is, would've been just as easy to ask who the promoter was & call him up directly to complain.  If I felt that wasn't effective, then i would've resorted to contacting the Forest Service.

Ride & Smile...

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 06/09/13 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Don't understand why it's his responsibility to call the promoter. The promoter is in the wrong here, not RobP.

If it hasn't been a problem in the past, then I'm sure the forest service will just give them a nudge to clean it up. 

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 06/09/13 at 5:03pm
Print Post  

ciao
Santana

The brilliant move was not cleaning up the tape, thus jeopardizing it for themselves.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 06/09/13 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
cmowery3 wrote on 06/09/13 at 4:52pm:
Was it disrespectful & irresponsible?  Of course.  My point is, would've been just as easy to ask who the promoter was & call him up directly to complain.  If I felt that wasn't effective, then i would've resorted to contacting the Forest Service.

I would have no idea who the promoter is/was?  Nor do I think it is my responsibility to seek them out.  My note to the ranger was very benign, other than saying:
There was tape left up, you should know.

Edit..  Since I respect Cathy so much I put some thought to what she said.  After pondering I even feel better about it.  I am a customer of the Forest Service, not the race promoter.  It would have been a failure on my part to NOT notify the Forest Service.  Who knows maybe this promoter has done this in the past, at other Forest Service parks.  The relationship between the Forest Service and Promoter is their's to manage, not mine.
« Last Edit: 06/09/13 at 8:30pm by RobP »  

IP Logged

stateprez
Little Ring

Reply #18 - 06/09/13 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Storm Racing, Sanford, NC.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 06/09/13 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
stateprez wrote on 06/09/13 at 8:31pm:
Storm Racing, Sanford, NC.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Someone that raced/s should let them know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print