Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uhwarrie - Shame! (Read 7760 times)
renoirbud
Small Cog

Re: Uhwarrie - Shame!
Reply #40 - 06/10/13 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Hammerhead wrote on 06/10/13 at 7:55pm:
I guess what you call "legit" I call lame a$$ excuses & irresponsible stewardship. Mtb's being banned @ Ure is as probable as, say, you & I agreeing on this topic  Cheesy

But we are getting closer to seeing the pancake bunny so we got that going for us...

You are completely wrong.  Part of the UNF trail was closed 3 weeks ago because they were looking at some rocks that may have been used by some people to make tools along time ago.

Part of the 4x4 trail is already being closed for some reason.

Bikes being banned fron UNF is a very real possibility.

I agree that the tape should have been picked up by the people running the event, however, it is pi$$-poor judgement to contact the park rangers about this.  The last thing we need is to have MTBing be seen as part of the problem.
« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 8:50pm by renoirbud »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #41 - 06/10/13 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
renoirbud wrote on 06/10/13 at 8:50pm:
I agree that the tape should have been picked up by the people running the event, however, it is pi$$-poor judgement to contact the park rangers about this.  The last thing we need is to have MTB RACING be seen as part of the problem.

There I fixed it for you.  Cool

Maybe MTB Racing is a part of the problem.

And continue
« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 8:59pm by RobP »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #42 - 06/10/13 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
mtb is mtb to thos on the outside.  as far as they know everyones racing with their stravas and whatnot these days.  i'm almost positive they wouldnt just ban mtb racing but mtb altogether if it went that route.  like has been said would be a shame to have mtb banned there as a result of this

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #43 - 06/10/13 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I'm going to Fisher to blow the leaves....

Funny how I blow the leaves off at Fisher and LNSP and USNWC don't but they seem to be closed 2-3 times as long....

Just stirring the pot.  Glad I didn't make a mistake like that race promoter... Roll Eyes

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #44 - 06/10/13 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
renoirbud wrote on 06/10/13 at 8:50pm:

Part of the 4x4 trail is already being closed for some reason.

They found Indian artifacts near the 4x4 trail, so now it has become an archaeological site for the foreseeable future (ie-forever).  FYI, it was the best section of trail for the 4x4 crowd.  Basically, it was the one spot that everyone goes to Uwharrie to wheel.  Just wait till they find stuff near the mtb loops.

IP Logged

JoeT
Small Cog

Reply #45 - 06/10/13 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Of course you can always be proactive and eliminate any squeals from the naysayers. 
By doing this:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #46 - 06/11/13 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Below is from a facebook post by Promoter Howard Rhyne:

"The tape is all down. Sorry for the delay in getting it all down. It was never intended to abandoned or left for litter. I had emailed the USFS and let them know I had an issue and was coming back to remove it. I apologize again for the delay and thank you for any understanding shown."

This was posted about 11 AM Monday June 10, 2013

This is the reason for the call to the USFS. Mr Rhyne had a contract with them. They are his point of contact for the event. The USFS is our POC for the forest. 
Mr Rhyne had contacted them and made arraingments. 
Hopefully this thread will now die before it goes to 4 pages or the trails dry out whichever comes first.
« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 12:37am by Tom F »  

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #47 - 06/11/13 at 12:31am
Print Post  
johnski wrote on 06/10/13 at 11:34pm:

They found Indian artifacts near the 4x4 trail, so now it has become an archaeological site for the foreseeable future (ie-forever).  FYI, it was the best section of trail for the 4x4 crowd.  Basically, it was the one spot that everyone goes to Uwharrie to wheel.  Just wait till they find stuff near the mtb loops.

Johnski:
The MTB area had an expensive archeological survey done before the work done 2011 and 2012could go forward. The trail was routed to avoid any archeological sites.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #48 - 06/11/13 at 1:15am
Print Post  
isitwinteryet wrote on 06/10/13 at 9:20pm:
mtb is mtb to thos on the outside.  as far as they know everyones racing with their stravas and whatnot these days.  i'm almost positive they wouldnt just ban mtb racing but mtb altogether if it went that route.  like has been said would be a shame to have mtb banned there as a result of this

I would just disagree.  The Forest Service knows the difference between recreational MTB users and a race promoter.  How do I know this?  Because they make the promoter sign a contract to use the land.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #49 - 06/11/13 at 1:17am
Print Post  
johnski wrote on 06/10/13 at 11:34pm:

Do you know the name of the trail that was closed.  I don't go there anymore but I hope to take child number 2 one day.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

josh27292

Reply #50 - 06/11/13 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
I also noticed some gel wrappers left on the trail from the race when I was there last Saturday.  I know in the heat of a race its easier to just drop the wrapper but is it really worth losing such an awesome trail to shave a few seconds off your lap time?
« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 2:37pm by josh27292 »  

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #51 - 06/11/13 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
So before we get there is it page 4 or 5 where the bunny becomes appropriate?  I thought it was 5, but it has been a while so I am open to the debate.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #52 - 06/11/13 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
josh27292 wrote on 06/11/13 at 1:13pm:
I was also noticed some gel wrappers left on the trail from the race when I was there last Saturday.  I know in the heat of a race its easier to just drop the wrapper but is it really worth losing such an awesome trail to shave a few seconds off your lap time?

Did you happen to take a few seconds and pick it up?  Not saying it's specifically your responsibility and we could argue that point for days.  I usually take a few seconds to pick up trash at any trail I ride local or on vacation.  I figure a little help from everyone will help lighten the load for the trail coordinators and workers.

BTW I'm not trying to bust your chops.  Just pointing out that if everyone pitches in and helps keep up the trails and not spend time dressing down a busy race promoter that already had the situation under control on not 1 but 2 public forums/social media...we'd be in a much happier place.  Just sayin'.

« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 2:17pm by The Cycle Path »  

IP Logged

josh27292

Reply #53 - 06/11/13 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Did you happen to take a few seconds and pick it up?  Not saying it's specifically your responsibility and we could argue that point for days.  I usually take a few seconds to pick up trash at any trail I ride local or on vacation.  I figure a little help from everyone will help lighten the load for the trail coordinators and workers.

BTW I'm not trying to bust your chops.  Just pointing out that if everyone pitches in and helps keep up the trails and not spend time dressing down a busy race promoter that already had the situation under control on not 1 but 2 public forums/social media...we'd be in a much happier place.  Just sayin'.

Yes, I did pick up the ones I saw.
« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 2:36pm by josh27292 »  

IP Logged

Captain Awesome
Small Cog

Work, Ride, Repeat

Reply #54 - 06/11/13 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
josh27292 wrote on 06/11/13 at 2:36pm:

Thank you

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #55 - 06/11/13 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
josh27292 wrote on 06/11/13 at 2:36pm:

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #56 - 06/17/13 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 06/11/13 at 1:17am:

Do you know the name of the trail that was closed.  I don't go there anymore but I hope to take child number 2 one day.

The section of Rocky Mountain Loop that has Kodak Rock and all the other most challenging lines to crawl.  Most 4x4'ers go to URE just to be able to ride that part of the system.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Print