Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sherman report 6/12 (Read 2971 times)
ludey
Small Cog

Probably gonna ride today

Sherman report 6/12
06/12/13 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
If anyone has been out, would like to know the condition before making the drive out there.

Thanks!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Sherman report 6/12
Reply #1 - 06/12/13 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I was happy to be riding.

Lots of strange little slick spots where you don't expect them so you better run at about 75% throttle, but over all in good shape. Everything is just damp like a greenhouse.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

ludey
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 06/12/13 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 06/12/13 at 8:23pm:
I was happy to be riding.

Lots of strange little slick spots where you don't expect them so you better run at about 75% throttle, but over all in good shape. Everything is just damp like a greenhouse.

Cool thanks.  I'm with you, I'll just be happy to be pedaling...  going to head out there now.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 06/12/13 at 8:31pm
Print Post  

Oh Yeah, 

Thanks to the 2 girls that stoped numerous times and helped me drag quite a few large  logs and sticks off the trail during thier lunch hour lap. We didn't get them all, but we got a bunch. We wanted to leave some for the next riders

There's quite a few guys that could learn alot from these girls
« Last Edit: 06/12/13 at 8:53pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

ludey
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 06/12/13 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 06/12/13 at 8:31pm:

Oh Yeah, 

Thanks to the 2 girls that stoped numerous times and helped me drag quite a few large  logs and sticks off the trail during thier lunch hour lap. We didn't get them all, but we got a bunch. We wanted to leave some for the next riders

There's quite a few guys that could learn alot from these girls

Yep, the trail is still pretty littered with them, I have the bent derailleur cage to prove it.  I did move a bunch off during my ride though.

Trail wasn't bad, considering.  The heat / humidity was by far the worst part, uhg!

IP Logged

JokerSC
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 06/14/13 at 1:47am
Print Post  
It is showing open currently, did it gar spared for the most part so far? Looking to ride tommorrow afternoon if something is actually open.

RideMFRide

IP Logged

CLTtrailDude01
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #6 - 06/14/13 at 2:04am
Print Post  
shocked Sherman is still good to go...  I know everyone has their own opinions and the hardcore Mountain Bikers will always rate Sherman Higher than CB but really?  I've ridden both after the same rain storms and just don't get it it.

Sherman does not drain better than CB.

Just my 2c Cool

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #7 - 06/14/13 at 9:51am
Print Post  
JokerSC wrote on 06/14/13 at 1:47am:
It is showing open currently, did it gar spared for the most part so far? Looking to ride tommorrow afternoon if something is actually open.

I'm pretty sure it didn't get spared I live about five to eight miles away and I lost power till 1 a.m. I guarantee you there are mass of limbs down everywhere and it rained pretty hard for about an hour

IMBA member.
IP Logged

Captain Awesome
Small Cog

Work, Ride, Repeat

Reply #8 - 06/14/13 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
JokerSC wrote on 06/14/13 at 1:47am:

I'm sure after the storm nobody got right out to evaluate every trail. The status stays the same until updated

IP Logged

JokerSC
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 06/14/13 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Ok thanks! No riding until Sunday, if then!

RideMFRide

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #10 - 06/14/13 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
sunday SUNDAY sunday

IP Logged

flatworm

Reply #11 - 06/14/13 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
CLTtrailDude01 wrote on 06/14/13 at 2:04am:
shocked Sherman is still good to go...  I know everyone has their own opinions and the hardcore Mountain Bikers will always rate Sherman Higher than CB but really?  I've ridden both after the same rain storms and just don't get it it.

Sherman does not drain better than CB.

Just my 2c Cool

Rode it yesterday around 2pm, and I was surprised at the condition--very good ride. I stay away from Sherman when it's wet (or even damp), but except for a couple of small spots, and one walk-through slog in the main trail, it was in remarkably good shape. No real trouble spots on rollercoaster or lake loops either. Very different from the horror that beset Beatty.

Can't speak for today, after that mad mini-storm last night...

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 06/14/13 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
I didn't get much rain where I am last night but I know other areas of Charlotte got tons.  Anyone get a chance to check it out today?

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 06/15/13 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Pretty good shape today (Saturday) considering. 
I noticed the recent saw work but there is still one good sized tree across the trail about the last 1/3 of the lake loop. 
Its about chest high and snagged at the top, I'd say it be a tough job for a pack saw

IP Logged

HockeyMark
Small Cog

Just an old hockey guy.

Reply #14 - 06/15/13 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
The tree on the lake loop will almost certainly require a chainsaw. It's about 3/4 mile before the end of the Lake Loop, maybe 1/4 mile after the end of the new section that was cut in a couple years back. It's on a section of the trail that parallels the fire-road that leads to the lake at the start of the loop.

As mentioned, it's leaning, about chest high, and snagged on something preventing it from falling completely.

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #15 - 06/16/13 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Rode main loop today and it was pretty much perfect except for maybe 2 or 3 spots.

IMBA member.
IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/18/13 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Anyone get an early lap in?  Wondering what conditions are like before I head that way?

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 06/18/13 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I got about 3/4 of a lap in before the bottom dropped out. It was great up till then. The Lake Loop should've been changed to the River Loop at that point. Funny thing though is it wasn't really muddy, just wet. I see that it's open today, and I find that hard to believe, as hard as it rained. Looks like it got a half inch in a half hour. It was like riding in the shower.
« Last Edit: 06/18/13 at 6:25pm by Shredder »  

IP Logged

JimShoe
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 06/18/13 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I got caught in that sudden down pour also. It was much like paddling upstream in a river with a bicycle. Fun in its own special way. And like Shredder, I was amazed that the trail was draining more like pavement. I guess because it came down so hard and fast it wasn't soaking in, just running off.
« Last Edit: 06/18/13 at 7:10pm by JimShoe »  

When the government takes responsibility for the people, the people will no longer take responsibility for themselves

IP Logged

Tjkraft

Reply #19 - 06/18/13 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Just finished a lap on main at Sherman. conditions aren't bad at all. A few mud spots so I didn't even attempt lake or roller coaster, figured they'd be a little wet.
Barring any rain an after work lap would be in order.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print