Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic BYT workday (Read 1361 times)
worker-rider
In The Loop

BYT workday
06/13/13 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Alright gentleman and ladies. Going to have a workday to clear the trails. I got the ok to enter the plant from Park Road Park. Will meet at the recycling bins at 9:30 at Park Road Park. Then when done there we will move over to the Farmbrook entrance and clean that side up. There is lots of stuff down. I only had time to walk about 4 1/2 miles and it is muddy and stuff down everywhere. Counted 4 large trees and branches aplenty. I hope that some of you that ride BYT will give up a Saturday to come out and help. Please bring a chainsaw and hand saws if you have them and the usual water,gloves,long pants. We will divide up into groups and take care of business. With the storms that may come our way Thursday who knows what will be down. I am going to have to get a pro to take down 4 widow makers. I dont have the skill to take them down. I hope that some of you will come out and lend a hand. The trails are kept up by volunteers and people like you. So take a little time and give back to the trails that you ride and help the people that give you a place to ride. All the trail coordinators really thank you for your help. Hope to see some of you Saturday.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Re: BYT workday
Reply #1 - 06/13/13 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I'll try to be there Boss...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #2 - 06/13/13 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I'm checking with my "handler" to see if I can make it for a couple of hours.   

If I can make it I will bring a chain saw and be happy to cut up whatever I can while I can.  I find running a chain saw very therapeutic.   

I encourage anyone else debating on lending a hand to please do so.  If you've never done it before its very rewarding as well as enlightening with regards to just how much work goes into the maintenance of the trail.   And of course, if you put in enough hours it gives you the right to complain when others mess up your trail!!!   Wink

I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds.
IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #3 - 06/13/13 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Worker/anyone other TC, 

Has there ever been an effort to post up a sign/flyer at the trailhead to notify riders of up coming work days???   

I am thinking of the many riders that just don't realize the Trailblazers exist or don't know of the forum that may actually lend a hand if they were aware.

I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds.
IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 06/14/13 at 12:48am
Print Post  
I have 2 chainsaws ready to go. Yes I will work on signage for the idea that you have put forth. Great  idea. Have a few others also that I will bounce off all of you Saturday. Solar I know you still won't a wall ride and we do to. This fall some fun things will be added. You won't a smaller cannon to practice on you will get it. Put forth ideas on fun ttf and we will see what we can do. I am going to work on getting more free pressure treated lumber from CMS. Thanks for everyone's help out there.

IP Logged

kawsakimx6
Big Ring

Just cause i can't do
it, don't mean i won't
try.

Reply #5 - 06/14/13 at 7:17am
Print Post  
I would love to come out. Catch is baby shift starts at 10am. Anyone want to do early shiftcl from sat 6:30 till 9:45 or so?

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #6 - 06/14/13 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Solar wrote on 06/13/13 at 2:54pm:
Worker/anyone other TC, 

Has there ever been an effort to post up a sign/flyer at the trailhead to notify riders of up coming work days???  

I am thinking of the many riders that just don't realize the Trailblazers exist or don't know of the forum that may actually lend a hand if they were aware. 

Thats funny. I have come to the same realzation and am in talks with cycle path about developing recruitment resources.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 06/14/13 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I do think that flyers would work. Im for anything that gets information out to folks who use the trail. Only problem would be we dont always know when were doing work days until a few days before. Also who pays for the flyers, puts them up, and takes them down. I would like to see bigger better signage at all the trailheads saying something like:

This trail is built and maintained by the Tarheel TrailBlazers mountain bike club
100% of the trail maintenance is done by volunteers.
Please do not ride AT LEAST 24hrs after rain or when trails are wet.
Contact TarheelTrailBlazers.com for more information, to join, or volunteer

Trail Rules:
-No riding AT LEAST 24hrs after rain, or when trails are wet.
-Check TarheelTrailBlazers.com for Open/Closed status.
-Respect other trail users and be courteous.
-Ride or walk THROUGH mud spots, not around them.
-Pay attention and alert other trail users of your presence by shouting "Rider Up, On your left/right, etc."
-Do not litter or leave trash on the trail. Please remove any trash you see.
-HAVE FUN 

I know the signage at Beatty Trailheads is old and beat up and bent. Also they're small and folks dont see them easily. There were a ton of folks riding yesterday and when I asked them if they knew the trail was closed they either didnt know we posted that or they didnt know who the TrailBlazers were. Some even thouhght I was a ParkRec. employee. It blows my mind how many people have no idea who does the work on the trail. Thats just Beatty, I cant speak for other trails.
« Last Edit: 06/14/13 at 12:09pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #8 - 06/14/13 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
If we could combine the bigger sign with a small box containing a business cards with info on the forum and a means to contact us such as "beattytrailwork@gmail.com" people could take it with them. If the tc's had some recruitment resources we could stake out events like trail races and rope more people into service.

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #9 - 06/16/13 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Come up with an idea for signs that are updated and I know a printer that will take care of them. Thanks for the help today fellas. Jack rode all 3 sides and all that is down is 2 trees on the MD side. I ran the weedeater through the poo tracks and called it a day. Will get a pro to take care of the widow makers. Thanks again! Now just small mud holes to fix and replace 2 small bridges. Now GO RIDE!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print