Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tree down at Sherman (Read 1460 times)
HockeyMark
Small Cog

Just an old hockey guy.

Tree down at Sherman
06/16/13 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Since it was buried in the Sherman Update thread for 6/12, I thought I'd highlight it in its own thread. It was there as of yesterday (6/15) late-AM, and near the end of the Lake Loop - maybe 3/4-mi before it re-joins the Main, along the section that parallels the fire road that leads to the lake itself. The tree is about 10 or 12 inches in diameter, and will require a chainsaw, and maybe an extra set of hands. The crown is hung up in some other trees, so it hasn't fallen completely, so it's leaning at about chest-height across the trail.

I'd get it myself, but my chainsaw is broken after some clearing of trees last week.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Re: Tree down at Sherman
Reply #1 - 06/17/13 at 1:17am
Print Post  
HockeyMark wrote on 06/16/13 at 11:56am:
Since it was buried in the Sherman Update thread for 6/12, I thought I'd highlight it in its own thread. It was there as of yesterday (6/15) late-AM, and near the end of the Lake Loop - maybe 3/4-mi before it re-joins the Main, along the section that parallels the fire road that leads to the lake itself. The tree is about 10 or 12 inches in diameter, and will require a chainsaw, and maybe an extra set of hands. The crown is hung up in some other trees, so it hasn't fallen completely, so it's leaning at about chest-height across the trail.

I'd get it myself, but my chainsaw is broken after some clearing of trees last week.

Additionally there is another precarious tree about 100 yards in (reverse direction) from where the lake loop re-enters the main trail.  It looks like a Beaver or something had lunch on the trunk about 18 inches off the ground.  A good gust of wind and the whole tree will come over.  A chainsaw will be required as well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #2 - 06/17/13 at 3:23am
Print Post  
hmm never thought to try the lake loop in reverse, sounds fun!

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 06/17/13 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I saw that rotted out pine too Rob. 
I plan to get these two out after my ride later this morning. 

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/17/13 at 11:42am
Print Post  
When you headed that way Dave?

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #5 - 06/17/13 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 06/17/13 at 11:29am:
I saw that rotted out pine too Rob. 
I plan to get these two out after my ride later this morning. 

Hey dave, 
We have a couple easy ones down at beatty if you have a saw. Banjo is out of town for a couple days and he has mine, plus I'm sick and not sue if i am up to it. Shoot me a pm if you might be able to make it out.

-David

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 06/17/13 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
The 2 at Sherman are gone.  Thanks for the help Lenny.

I learned that you can ride a SS with a 18 inch chainsaw down a fire road one handed much easier then you can back UP said fire road one handed.  Huh

Where is the Beatty tree?  I might be able to get this evening about 7:30. When do they lock the gate on Monday night?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #7 - 06/17/13 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Dont worry about it. Dan is going to get it. Thanks for taking care of the sherman tree.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #8 - 06/17/13 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Redbeard

Reply #9 - 06/17/13 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
no problem Dave. Glad to lend a hand. Thanks for bringing out your saw.

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/18/13 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Beatty trees done...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print