Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Introduction to WhiteWater Kayaking (Read 2406 times)
49erRider
Ex Member

Introduction to WhiteWater Kayaking
06/18/13 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Well thought I would put this on the forum, as quite a few people have asked me about getting started in kayaking.  

I'm a Middle School Teacher who has the summers off, so during that time I always try to help people just getting started in the sport.  I try to offer "clinics" or classes at a very reduced rate, basically just to help cover a lot of the gear.  I provide everything needed and will get you started, and provide as much information as possible.  

The two "clinics" I teach are:

Roll and Basics - For this I typically meet at Lake Wylie, and will go over the basic paddle strokes as well as body position, boat terminology, and river terms.  We usually warm up with these concepts for the first half an hour, then spend about an hour working on rolls, and techniques to accomplish it.  If you already have a roll, I can also work on troubleshooting errors, teach alternate rolls, such as hand, back deck, sweep, or c to c.  We can also work on your offside roll.

For this I charge $30 - which again includes all the gear.

I love helping people get started, once you gather your gear, just say hey to me at the center and I'll be happy to help anytime.  If you have been looking for a way to get started into kayaking, drop me a line and I'll be happy to answer questions. 

With this I will also go over all the gear, what it does, and what to look for when buying your first set up. 

If interested let me know, via PM or e-mail 49erRider@gmail.com

Thanks,

Brad
« Last Edit: 07/08/13 at 4:32pm by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Re: Introduction to WhiteWater Kayaking
Reply #1 - 06/24/13 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Just got done working with Justin, (Jmorabito1976) and he did a great job!  Got his roll, got really comfortable in the kayak, and almost got a hand roll! 

If anyone else wants to give it a shot just shoot me a PM. 

Thanks,

Brad

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 06/25/13 at 4:37am
Print Post  
if i wasnt so afraid of drowning while having a boat strapped on top of me id be down for this as well. Ive been wanting to do one of the microbrew cruises at WWC but never been in, on or near a kayak.

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/25/13 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Haha you can always pull the skirt and go for a nice refreshing swim.

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/25/13 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
FireAnthem wrote on 06/25/13 at 4:37am:
if i wasnt so afraid of drowning while having a boat strapped on top of me id be down for this as well. Ive been wanting to do one of the microbrew cruises at WWC but never been in, on or near a kayak.

You can use a sit-on-top kayak or standup paddle board for the microbrews cruise. Plus its on flat water so the risk of flipping is minimal and directly related to how many microbrews you drink.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #5 - 06/25/13 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Sandman wrote on 06/25/13 at 12:24pm:

You can use a sit-on-top kayak or standup paddle board for the microbrews cruise. Plus its on flat water so the risk of flipping is minimal and directly related to how many microbrews you drink.

Yeah, the brews cruises are not kayaking.  It's flat (calm) water canoeing.  If my wife who can't swim can do it, then anyone can.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/13 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
And from what I've heard some people even just show up late for the food and the brew.

IP Logged

Tcedotal
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 06/25/13 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Brad has definitely been a lot of help to my wife and I. I would recommend him to any new kayaker.

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 06/26/13 at 5:10am
Print Post  
sager wrote on 06/25/13 at 12:48pm:

Yeah, the brews cruises are not kayaking.  It's flat (calm) water canoeing.  If my wife who can't swim can do it, then anyone can.

thats what i like to hear  Smiley

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/29/13 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Have had quite a few ask about these and just wanted to let you know I will be out of town until July 4th and will not have internet access.  So we can catch up then.  Thanks!

IP Logged

gonzo
In The Loop

Reply #10 - 07/07/13 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Brad!!  This class is a great intro to this sport.  Relaxed feel and you work at your pace.  Brad is very patient and knows his stuff.  Anybody out there thinking about this class seriously needs to just do it.  He provides the gear and the knowledge, all you need to bring is you.

I have reason to believe that the squirrels are mocking me.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/07/13 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks Greg!!

Here are a few pictures of Justin.  He is doing a great job and really getting some great control of the boat and improving his roll all the time! Keep it up!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And a video, hope he doesn't mind.  Pretty good roll for a first timer.  He will continue to work on it but a GREAT start!

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 07/08/13 at 1:18am
Print Post  
With the amount of rain that we have lately I wanted to take up another outdoor sport that isn't affected by rain (also we might be kayaking places like Sherman and Beattie in the near future). Brad and I have ridden together and starts talking kayaking. He is a great, and patient, teacher (probably comes from dealing with middle schoolers all day). 

If you are looking to take kayak lessons I can recommend Brad 100%. I have taken lessons at other places but his attention to detail and attention to catering your lesson to your skill level is excellent. For those of you that might have a fear of hanging upside down in the water just give it a shot. The accomplishment you feel when you upright yourself is really empowering. Additionally the level of exercise you get is great... This is a true core exercise and you stay cool because you are in the water.

Ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to set records…

Packed and ready to roll…
GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #13 - 07/08/13 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
i would like to do kayaking but dont have anywhere to store one, oh well maybe some other time

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #14 - 07/08/13 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Brad provides the boats for your lessons.  I would recommend giving it a shot.  As expected, I knew that I would love it once I tried it so I am going to have to find somewhere to store one in the garage...Cool

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 07/08/13 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Just a heads up I edited the first post.  If you are looking for any instruction beyond rolling, and basic strokes and boat info.  Let me know through a PM and we can talk about how to precede.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #16 - 07/20/13 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Anyone looking to get into boating needs to get a hold of Brad. He's a great teacher and makes difficult aspects of the sport easy and understandable. Just hit the WWC for the first time tonight and had a blast! Mountain biking might be taking a backseat for a bit.  Couldnt have done it without his expert instruction Grin.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #17 - 07/20/13 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Brian,

I agree.  I am still riding because I don't have the equipment yet, but it is a great alternative outlet to riding, especially with the weather lately.  What boat did you end up getting?   

Thanks Brad for giving us something new to spend money on.  Cool

Justin

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #18 - 07/20/13 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
We are going to take our lesson today in just a few minutes!  Cheesy

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

linus
Big Ring

Kerr Scott Trail System
- Epic!

Reply #19 - 07/20/13 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
You beat me to it, enjoy! Looking forward to taking a few lessons with Brad soon.
« Last Edit: 07/20/13 at 7:20pm by linus »  

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/20/13 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
catsruletn wrote on 07/20/13 at 4:03pm:
We are going to take our lesson today in just a few minutes!  Cheesy

They did great, and came really far in one day.  A true match made in heaven, if you would combine their strengths they would have the PERFECT roll!  Good job on your boat control, and having a great attitude.  Thanks for all the questions about gear also, I love that people care about that section of the lesson!

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/20/13 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
linus wrote on 07/20/13 at 7:19pm:
You beat me to it, enjoy! Looking forward to taking a few lessons with Brad soon.

Looking forward to it!

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #22 - 07/21/13 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Many thanks to Brad. The lesson was a great intro and he is a very patient teacher even when you have to keep doing the same thing over and over.  Smiley

Thanks for all the tips and inside info about the gear too. 

Also to anyone who might be thinking about this but is kind of nervous about water and being under water you should totally try it. I found by the end of the lesson that I was much more comfortable being under water than I ever thought I would be. And Brad is very capable of getting you up and out of the water when you can't do so yourself  Grin

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print