Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Riding/ Racing in Wet Weather (Read 1014 times)
Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Riding/ Racing in Wet Weather
06/18/13 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Interesting and well written/reasoned article posted on Singletracks website with good pictures as examples of damaged trail: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Not trying to stir anything up. It looks like this CSRA Hickory Knob trail got pretty beat up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Re: Riding/ Racing in Wet Weather
Reply #1 - 06/18/13 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Well there's always two sides to every story and looking at some of those pictures there seem to be some maintenance and design issues to be addressed.  Some of the trail looked to be in flat, low laying areas and some looked like they may have already had some berms building up on the outside of turns.

We've held races at LNSP and Fisher Farm in pretty bad conditions, Cakalacky 500 2 years ago at LNSP and the Oktoberfest in Fall of 2009 at Fisher Farm.  Honestly, I was stunned at how well both trails held up.  The Saturday after the Oktoberfest, Fisher actually looked great after multiple laps of packing in.

It is what it is and it's a shame that trail took such a beating and the race promoter should volunteer to donate some of his net profits to help with repair.  I know the local promoters around here put a lot back into the trails and to this club.  (Neal Boyd and Cameron Fraser as well as Tim Schroerer with Dirty Spokes Productions)

And it also depends on the trail as well.

Speaking of racing...it's raining steady up at Fisher Farm right now.  Gotta check it out in the am.

Later...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Hammerhead
Coaster Bike

Get er done!

Reply #2 - 06/19/13 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
That is an EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!! Thx for posting! The reader comments below it were also very enlightening on an issue that gets little attention & even less understanding from those of us who use the trails--but we (me included) will b***h up a storm when "they" won't OPEN UP THEM TRAILS!!!

Thank again for posting--

There exists a fragile balance between the limits of my fitness & my bike handling skills which I sometimes forget to my detriment...

IP Logged

mtbkpete
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/19/13 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
The promoters Gone Riding should have canceled the event day's 
before the Xterra was due to take place and another date assigned.
I was going to reg's but it was forecast well before to be cold wet and 
an odvious mud fest. I understand some of the folks that took part
did go back later and help repair the trail.
« Last Edit: 06/19/13 at 5:11pm by mtbkpete »  

He who dares wins.

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #4 - 06/19/13 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Is it even fun to race when its like that?  I think a lot of responsibility is on the riders to just say no way jose

IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 06/19/13 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
I started mtn biking in central Fla in the early 90's. Many of us from there were quite familiar with Gone Riding's, Dave and Terri Berger and their efforts to promote and advance the sport in the area. For the most part they did a good job and helped to open up some great (for the area) riding trails for both competition and recreational use. 

It seemed to me that most of their concern was usually with generating revenue from the events, not so much thought about damage to the trails or staging areas. I dont mean to imply they didnt care about the trails the events were conducted on, but it just didnt seem to be too high on the priority list. 

Really, i had never seen such trail care until I moved up here. Unfortunately in Fla, it just wasn't ever much of a thought or concern. We are very lucky to have the people we do here to care for these trails. 

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print