Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 2014 Spearfish (Read 1750 times)
twinsdad
Ex Member

2014 Spearfish
06/23/13 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Looks Really Nice...The split pivot seems like a solid idea...And ANO finishes!!  I'm gonna get one...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: 2014 Spearfish
Reply #1 - 06/23/13 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Looks Really Nice...The split pivot seems like a solid idea...And ANO finishes!!  I'm gonna get one...

WHAT???   Thought you were in love with the hardtail Transition! It looks ok for a 29er Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/23/13 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Well not getting one right now...But when I add to my quiver this winter this bike might find a spot Wink...Unless the 2014 Salsa Horsethief looks just as good!  Never gonna get rid of the Trans Am though...
« Last Edit: 06/23/13 at 8:26pm by »  

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Reply #3 - 06/23/13 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well not getting one right now...But when I add to my quiver this winter this bike might find a spot Wink...Unless the 2014 Salsa Horsethief looks just as good!  Never gonna get rid of the Trans Am though...

The Horsetheif will have all the same changes. Hopefully they are available as soon as they say they will be.

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
wes@firstflightbikes.com
IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/23/13 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I like the looks, but I will not be getting one.  I'm sticking with the original spearfish 1.  In order to upgrade to the new frame I will need a whole new fox fork, and a new BB.  If need to do all that I would just spring for a Ripley.

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #5 - 06/24/13 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Damn! I just built the 2013 Spearfish this year, and then they totally redesign it.  Similar situation when I built the 2012 Soma Juice with horizontal track dropouts, and the 2013 came with paragon sliders.  Angry
« Last Edit: 06/24/13 at 3:41am by KitJ BBQman »  

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #6 - 06/24/13 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
When everyone was jumping on the spearfish bandwagon last year I didn't get it, but this is very nice.  I may be coming around.

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #7 - 06/24/13 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
as per usual, all the marketing with the previous system (flexing stays, fewer moving parts, lighter, less maintenance, etc etc) are sort of out the window with the new model.  The rat race continues... Cool

Rob M.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #8 - 06/24/13 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
rob1035 wrote on 06/24/13 at 12:35pm:
as per usual, all the marketing with the previous system (flexing stays, fewer moving parts, lighter, less maintenance, etc etc) are sort of out the window with the new model.  The rat race continues... Cool

So when my flexing seatstays crack, hopefully they will replace the frame with this new model.  Roll Eyes

AIM  
IP Logged

firstflight
Big Ring

FirstFlightBikes.com

Reply #9 - 06/24/13 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
We got to see the 2014 Salsa line at Frostbike in February and Dave Weagle was there to talk about the new designs.  Neat stuff.

One of the biggest improvement will be their move to "in-store" Salsa sales only.  Places like Tree Fort will be able to sell the bikes but only to their local customers.  We had a lot of issues with people showrooming the bikes and ordering them online.  The prices were the same as what we had but people would do it to avoid sales tax.  Good to see Salsa do the right thing!

Makes it easier to commit to their 2014 products.

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #10 - 06/25/13 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
so hypothetically, does that mean more Salsa's in showrooms?  Most of the Salsa dealers in my area have few actual bikes to look at...
« Last Edit: 06/25/13 at 7:28pm by rob1035 »  

Rob M.

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 06/25/13 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
rob1035 wrote on 06/25/13 at 6:57pm:
so hypothetically, does that mean more Salsa's in showrooms?  Most of the Salsa dealers in my area have few, if any actual bikes to look at...

Or they never have your size to try out. I can never find small 29ers locally.
« Last Edit: 06/25/13 at 7:37pm by PainkillerSPE »  

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

firstflight
Big Ring

FirstFlightBikes.com

Reply #12 - 06/25/13 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Salsa had availability issues last year even though they made a huge increase in their orders.  They plan on a similar increase this year and are promising to have bikes we can reasonably order throughout the year.

Right now, we have 3 Spearfish, 6 El Mariachis, Fargo, Vaya and 3 Mukluks in the shop.  We have had every size of El Mari from XS-XL in stock at various times as well as several demo bikes.  We will never have every model in every size but hope to have a good representation of the bikes for folks to check out.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #13 - 06/26/13 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Jeff & Wes, just to set things straight, I had every intentions of getting that 2012 Spearfish from you guys back in the Nov Dec 2012 time frame, but I was waiting on the bonus check to come in. Once it did, you guys had sold out of the frame I was wanting, and I found it on-line.  My bad on time lines.   

I am, if you haven't picked up from my posts, thinking about a belt drive bike.  There are a few (very few) production level belt drive MT bikes, which don't really impress me that much.  So it may have to come down to a custom frame.  But I don't want to get you to excited yet, because I am a long cycle researcher/buyer. Just putting out feelers for now.

Thanks for all you do for us as a LBS/bike museum/trail guru/bike manufacturer/generally great group of guys. 

--kit

AIM  
IP Logged

SalsaTodd
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #14 - 06/27/13 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
KitJ BBQman wrote on 06/26/13 at 4:13am:

Thanks for all you do for us as a LBS/bike museum/trail guru/bike manufacturer/generally great group of guys. 

--kit

Well said Kit.

Thank you First Flight for your investment in the Salsa brand.

I feel they represent hard core mountain biking, and build a great bike.

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 06/28/13 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Looks like the Horsethief is gonna be more up my alley:

68.1 deg.(with 130 fork) headtube angle,17.2 chainstay and 120 travel out back and throw a Fox 140/34 on the front...Sounds like a super fun bike!!  Hope they sell it frame only...Santa are you listening? Smiley

« Last Edit: 06/28/13 at 12:07pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print