Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Help with creaking headset (Read 869 times)
Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Help with creaking headset
06/24/13 at 3:02am
Print Post  
I have a new bike (Cannondale RZ One Twenty 1) and I have had an ongoing issue with creaking. Initially there was a problem with my seat bracket because I have the seat so far back. I was getting a lot of creaking. I fixed that about 90%. I am now getting some creaking coming from the handlebar headset. It is especially bad when I am compressing the rear shock on a step down or something and sitting on the seat. 

I know for a fact that the creaking is coming from the headset and it appears to be when I am "pulling" on the handlebars on these features that compress the rear shock. 

A little background. The headset on my bike is a larger diameter than most (1.5" I think) and I had it replaced to give my back some relief with a 6 degree rise. Additionally I have added a Rokform iPhone 5 holder. The mount sits on top of the headset and uses a new longer bolt. I don't have the torque wrench to make sure the bolt is torqued correctly. Could the bolt be too loose?  If I over-tighten it what would be the most noticeable issue?

BTW I love the mount. I have gone over the handlebars twice and it survived both. My only complaint is that you can't place the bike upside down on the handlebars and seat. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks

Justin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to set records…

Packed and ready to roll…
GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Help with creaking headset
Reply #1 - 06/24/13 at 9:51am
Print Post  
loosen the stem bolts and tighten the cap bolt. That should bring your headset all together. If this is a new bike it might not have been properly tightened. If that doesnt do it, check that the crown race on the fork is good and not marred up, bent, or anything weird causing play in the fork crown/headset. Also check the handlebar clamp to see if anything is loose. Often a little grease and tightening stuff down solves the creaks and the squeaks.
« Last Edit: 06/24/13 at 9:52am by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #2 - 06/24/13 at 10:04am
Print Post  
The top cap bolt doesn't really do much after the stem bolts are tightened down. They could easily have installed your mount without loosening anything in the headset. Creaks are tough to find and tough to get rid of. It could seem to be in the stem and still be beneath you. Do you hear the creak when you are standing out of the saddle? Is there any play anywhere that you notice off the bike?

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 06/24/13 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  I do notice the creak when standing but it is much more prevalent when sitting.  It is hard to explain but if I compress the rear shock (bounce on the seat) and pull on the handlebars the creak is much worse.  If I bounce on the seat and make sure not to pull back on the handlebars, the creak is much less.  It is maddening when I am riding.  I just think of how much I paid for the bike.  I have had it back to the shop a couple of times and they haven't found any issue.

Thanks for the help.

Justin

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/24/13 at 11:24am
Print Post  
What handlebar / stem combo are you running?
Reason I ask is so we know what materials we're talking about with both.

I had some creaking that ended up coming from my carbon bars slightly flexing when either pulling back on the front, or a hard down on the front.
Turned out to be the stem faceplate.

Backed out all the screws, greased em up, re-torqued em and haven't heard anything since.
I'd definitely pull all the screws and grease them up and re-install, and see if that alleviates your creaking...

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 06/24/13 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I am running stock Cannondale bars and I am not sure the brand on the 6 degree rise headset.  Neither are carbon.  I will take a look tonight.  What type of grease should I use?

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/24/13 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Anything waterproof.

I personally use the same grease I use on the u-joints of my truck which is the pink Mobile1 synthetic stuff...

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #7 - 06/24/13 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
You should try to find the creak and reproduce it when you are not on the bike.  compressing the fork by way of the handle bars.  Try flexing the fork forward and backwards.  I would also try wiggling the plastic ferrules inserted into the cable stops on the frame.  #1 and #2 creaks are always seatpost clamp and seat rail clamps for me.  I've had creaks in pedal springs, bottom brackets, shock eyelets, pivots, stem bolts, and cable stops.  Usually combinations of cleaning, greasing and the proper torque on the bolts is needed to eliminate.

One thing to note, I have usually always had some creak going on all the time, so I wouldn't expect that you will have a "quiet" bike.  There are lots of moving parts, lots of torqued bolts and lots of dirt and grime involved and all that leads to creaks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print