Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) conditions at NM (Read 1972 times)
BigBikeMike
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

conditions at NM
06/29/13 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
NM is very wet with water running down the trail. There is sand and mud 6" to 10" in the trail in spots. 1 bridge washed out that I got back in place, but the large bridge at the creek is washed out again. You can still cross it, but you would have to walk your bike across. It is too wet to work on today and also too wet to ride so please do not ride! I just checked the bridges this morning and not the whole trail, but will get back over there later today and see what else needs to be repaired, Mike.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: conditions at NM
Reply #1 - 06/29/13 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Man, I feel your pain Mike. Looks like yall got a taste of what hit Beatty a while back. Good luck out there....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

raidermtb
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 06/29/13 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Hey mike what time will you be out there I'll come and help I got some time tomorrow also

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #3 - 06/29/13 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Hey Banjo, at least it's still across the creek and not on the other side like it was a few years ago. I'll get over in the morning and work on it. Just got back from LNSP, finished clearing Wildlife from the last storm. The trails weren't near as wet as down this way, but they are closed. I started into the gulley section to clear it and a fawn jumped up and startled me. I hope it doesn't have any trouble finding it's mother. If it would have laid still, I wouldn't have seen it.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #4 - 06/30/13 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
NM is rideable, but beware of the mud and sand that the flood left on the trail. Brian (RaiderMTB) and I got the large bridge at the creek back in place today. I didn't put it back in the same place as before on the exit side. The bank is getting eroded closer to the bridge, so I left it alittle to the left from where it used to be. I need to go back and anchor the two bridges that moved during the storm. Cris and Lisa were riding as we finished working and said that you had to be careful in some of the turns because of the sand. Have fun, but watch the turns, Mike.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #5 - 06/30/13 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I did forget to thank Brian for coming out and helping me today. We worked from 10:00am - 3:00pm repairing the bridge and it would have taken alot longer without his help. I have before and after pics, but don't know how to post them, Mike.

IP Logged

raidermtb
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 06/30/13 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
You're welcome mike be glad to help any time. Enjoyed talking today if you need me to I can get back over tuesday and trim that section we walked through coming out of the trail with the weed eater that you was talking about. Just let me know .

IP Logged

raidermtb
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 06/30/13 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Hey mike I just looked at the radar and another monsoon is about to hit north meck I hope that bridge stays in place. Hey if it don't we could open up a ferry service to get people across the creek lol.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #8 - 06/30/13 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
DAMN!

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #9 - 07/28/13 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I repaired the wet area between the two small bridges close to the end of the trail. I moved all those pieces of concrete at the parking lot down to that area. I put some dirt in the cracks to stabilize the concrete in place. I'll need to add more dirt later as it is hard to find any dry dirt right now. I closed the trail where the concrete was and blocked it off. Please use the trail that exits at the dumpster and let the blocked off trail grow back in. The trail is real wet, so please don't ride until it dries some, if it ever quits raining?

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #10 - 07/29/13 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I may be able to help some evenings at NM Mike. New work gig is calming down a bit. I'll PM you my phone number in case you lost mine like I lost yours.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #11 - 07/31/13 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Started clearing drains and repairing wet areas last night at NM. I came across a long muddy area that looked like a jeep road. I went back tonight, made a detour around it and blocked off that section of trail. I've got some trail tape left over from volunteering at Snowshoe, so I will go tomorrow night and put up tape to block it off even better. I shouldn't have to do that since the trail is closed, but some people are going to ride no matter what. I think I will tape off the entrance to the trail, but some of these folks will just bust right thru it. Please respect the trail and not ride a closed trail.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #12 - 08/02/13 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I will be at NM tomorrow morning to continue repairing the wet and muddy areas of the trail. It sure would be nice to have alittle help. I'll be there early, but if anyone would like to give me a hand, I'll meet you in the parking lot at 9 am. I have some tools, but if you could bring a shovel or hoe, that would be great. All you riders that said you would like to help, it's time action and not just talk! You can work as long as you like and leave when you are ready. Thanks in advance, Mike.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #13 - 08/03/13 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Mike, give me a call in the morning if you need more tools. We have a whole stash of McLeods and shovels at Fisher if you need them.  Call my mobile number, the 900 number below, by 7:15am so I can stop by there and pick them up.

Mark

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #14 - 08/03/13 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
NM is in great shape now! All the wet areas have been repaired and is ready to ride. Kim Rodden made the trip from Mt. Holly to help me this morning, thanks Kim, it was nice to see you brother! The detoured area is still closed as it has standing water on the trail. There are still soft spots, but they will dry out as the wx gets better.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #15 - 08/08/13 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Park and Rec. brought some gravel today to repair the trail at NM. I scaped as much mud and water off the trail and hauled about 20 loads of gravel to cover that area. I raked it smooth and packed it down as good as I could. I blocked off the detour trail. That area of trail will need more work after it gets rode in. I'll put more gravel on it later and then some dirt to cover the gravel. Hope the rain holds off for awhile or I'll have get back to building my ark!

IP Logged

Happy Trails

Reply #16 - 08/23/13 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Hey BigBikeMike,

I feel your pain with the conditions at LN.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print