Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dropper Posts (Read 2303 times)
TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Dropper Posts
07/15/13 at 1:29am
Print Post  
So I'm really desiring a dropper post for my bike these days.  I have it narrowed to two options, the Reverb and the new Thomson dropper post.  The benefits of the Reverb seem to be the closed hydraulic system and price.  Thomson still uses a cable but they certainly have a good reputation with everything they make.  Does anyone have experience with either or both of the posts?  Any opinions one way or the other?  Is the Thomson worth the extra $$?

PS I'm not interested in a Lev.  If I'm going cable I'm rolling with Thomson.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Re: Dropper Posts
Reply #1 - 07/15/13 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
TwoNeener wrote on 07/15/13 at 1:29am:

PS I'm not interested in a Lev.  If I'm going cable I'm rolling with Thomson.

IMO, KS LEV > Reverb...

I've had a Reverb and I currently use a LEV.

Have you even tried the LEV? the Thomson? What makes the Thomson better than the LEV?

= Hydaulic systems are heavy.

= Cable systems can be fixed in field with spare cable, unless you're carrying spare fluid and bleeder system.

= LEV is about $100 less than Thomson for same type system.  Name brand mark up?

If I had to buy a dropper again between the Reverb and LEV, it would be LEV every time. No experience with the Thomson.

To answer your question, I'd say Thomson just for the cable actuated system, but I don't like how both your choices have the housing moving with the stanchion.

I think you're making a mistake ruling out the LEV....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #2 - 07/15/13 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
def get a lev

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 07/15/13 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I have a Reverb. I bought the 2010 model that was prone to problems. When it failed, RS replaced it with the 2011 version and I've had no issue with it since. I'd definitely give the Lev a try though. They've been around for a while now and get great reviews.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 07/15/13 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Sandman wrote on 07/15/13 at 12:36pm:
I have a Reverb. I bought the 2010 model that was prone to problems. When it failed, RS replaced it with the 2011 version and I've had no issue with it since. I'd definitely give the Lev a try though. They've been around for a while now and get great reviews.

Similar experience here, but I am not sure on the year.  For the Reverb just make sure you get the one with the black seat collar.  I have had the newer model for ~ 18 months and havent even had to bleed it yet. (it could probably use a bleed).

Another vote for the Reverb

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #5 - 07/15/13 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
JR wrote on 07/15/13 at 12:07pm:

IMO, KS LEV > Reverb...

I've had a Reverb and I currently use a LEV.

Have you even tried the LEV? the Thomson? What makes the Thomson better than the LEV?

= Hydaulic systems are heavy.

= Cable systems can be fixed in field with spare cable, unless you're carrying spare fluid and bleeder system.

= LEV is about $100 less than Thomson for same type system.  Name brand mark up?

If I had to buy a dropper again between the Reverb and LEV, it would be LEV every time. No experience with the Thomson.

To answer your question, I'd say Thomson just for the cable actuated system, but I don't like how both your choices have the housing moving with the stanchion.

I think you're making a mistake ruling out the LEV....

Certainly not saying the Lev is a bad choice.  It does get really good reviews.  I just prefer Thomson and trust their products.  Obviously in the ideal situation I could try them all out and go from there but I don't of anywhere I can try a dropper post, let alone a variety.

Did the Reverb fail on you?  Just curious why you switched over to the Lev.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 07/15/13 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
No, the Reverb didn't fail on me as I had the black collar.
I ended up parting out the bike it was on and sold it.

It was a good dropper.

When I was building up my current ride, I looked around to see what other options there were.
The KS LEV was very attractive to me because it had amazing reviews (seems the lesser models were having a bunch of problems, but not the LEV), was lightweight and cable actuated.

I took a chance and I'm glad I did.

I found an online store running a sale and got it at a very good price, which also helped.

Another plus is that the LEV remote uses a clamp that takes the place of one of my ODI grip locks, so it helps de-clutter the ever increasingly busy handlebar.

The LEV is also fully user serviceable which is what I look for in products.
I don't want my rig to be down because I have to send my gear off to get serviced because I lack the proper "Clearance"... Roll Eyes

If you ever want to check out the LEV in person, hit me up or see me on a social ride...

IP Logged

26er_guy
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #7 - 07/15/13 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Interesting.  Didn't realize the hydraulic posts were heavier.  I'd like to lighten my bike up a little. How much can I save if I ditch the reverb and get the LEV?

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #8 - 07/15/13 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I looked up the specs on both and am not really seeing much of a difference in weight.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 07/16/13 at 12:02am
Print Post  
26er_guy wrote on 07/15/13 at 5:44pm:
Interesting.  Didn't realize the hydraulic posts were heavier.  I'd like to lighten my bike up a little. How much can I save if I ditch the reverb and get the LEV?

You? 34 Pg (pasa grams)...

TwoNeener wrote on 07/15/13 at 5:52pm:
I looked up the specs on both and am not really seeing much of a difference in weight.

Well mathmatically speaking, my Reverb was ~535g. 

My LEV is 530g....

So ok, not much weight savings I guess  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: 07/16/13 at 12:08am by JR »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #10 - 11/30/13 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Resurecting this thread...

Im in the market and If $$$ was no option which post do yall prefer? I like the cable actuation of the Thomson but its not as serviceable as the Reverb. The LEV seems nice but I've read several reviews where folks experienced serious side to side play in the post. It still seems that the LEV>reverb but what about the Thomson? Any first hand experience? Likes/dislikes? Thanks Smiley

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 11/30/13 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
So I may have a freshly rebuilt (from SRAM) Reverb for sale.  Cool  I am thinking of going cable actuated as well.  I have heard good things from folks riding the Specialized post and I am looking at the Thomson as well.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 12/01/13 at 2:18am
Print Post  
I really like my specialized command post blacklite. Been riding it over a year with zero problems.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 12/01/13 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Had my reverb two years. No issues, never bled it...it has seen much use and been on three frames.. Read what you want on the web, but the reverb post silver collar is great...thats my experience.

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #14 - 12/01/13 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
My command post has been great. I have the version with the gold collar and the gold stanchion. Its cable actuated like the rest of the command posts and has been super reliable thus far- I weigh 235 and ride pretty rough and it hasnt shown any signs of grief. 

The only thing I have seen with the command posts is collet damage from users letting the seatpost "snap" or "slam" into position. According to specialized you have to "ease" the seatpost into its adjustment position to avoid any breakage. 

mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 12/09/13 at 2:04am
Print Post  
My reverb officially needs a rebuild after almost two years to the day. Not bad shelf life id say as ive never even bled it. Thats about what i expect out of hydro brakes....so pretty good... Fwiw my buddy has a cable operated post, i think its a lev? And his has not functioned right since new.. I think riding through ice i light rain that turned to ice in 25-30 degree weater may not have helped...

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #16 - 12/26/13 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
hudsontp wrote on 12/09/13 at 2:04am:
My reverb officially needs a rebuild after almost two years to the day. Not bad shelf life id say as ive never even bled it. Thats about what i expect out of hydro brakes....so pretty good... Fwiw my buddy has a cable operated post, i think its a lev? And his has not functioned right since new.. I think riding through ice i light rain that turned to ice in 25-30 degree weater may not have helped...

The lev is extremely finicky to set up. Not getting the knarp and housing and ferrule all situated out of the gate is going to be host to several problems.

4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #17 - 12/26/13 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
My LEV was easy to set up...

That said, wiggle out of the box.

Four weeks in and the post now has 1-2mm of play up and down in addition to side-to-side wiggle. 

It's on its way back right now.

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #18 - 12/26/13 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 12/26/13 at 4:21pm:
My LEV was easy to set up...

Of course it was for you, pro.

4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
IP Logged

azcanc
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 12/26/13 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Planetcyclery Thomson droppers for 299.99

Enjoy.....aaron Shocked
« Last Edit: 12/26/13 at 6:24pm by azcanc »  

BOOM, DONE!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print