Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic BRP Closed - Oramm in trouble? (Read 1227 times)
FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

BRP Closed - Oramm in trouble?
07/15/13 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Anyone know where mile markers 355 through 372 are on the BRP?  Giant crack in the road and it's closed around Mitchell.  Wonder if they will still let bikes through for ORAMM.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 07/15/13 at 5:17pm by FourMat »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: BRP Closed - Oramm in trouble?
Reply #1 - 07/15/13 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I think, That is around Craggy Gardens area. Between Asheville and Mt Mitchell. Should not have any effect on Oramm, or those who ride up from Marion to Hwy. 80 to the top of Mitchell.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #2 - 07/15/13 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I think you're right, I finally found a map with BRP mile markers on them.  I saw the tunnel and thought it looked like the one we went through...

IP Logged

Bugaboo
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 07/15/13 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
The BRP section that will be used for ORAMM is from mile markers 348-353.  The entrance to Heartbreak is just after mile marker 353. The end of the Curtis Creek climb dumps you out just before mile marker 348 on the BRP. Rode that section this weekend, all looks good.

"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all that you are traveling for."

IP Logged

dwright
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 07/15/13 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Here it is:

I road the Parkway south out of Asheville on Sat.  Visibility got so bad around Mt. Pisgah I turned around - cars couldn't see me even with a rear flasher.   

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 07/15/13 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Nice link...

The ride from Asheville to Balsam is one of my favorites. 

I got fogged in there on my last road ride. I was pretty nervous. I had to finish it because my wife was picking me up in Balsam. It all cleared up for me  shortly after Pisgah Inn.
« Last Edit: 07/15/13 at 8:10pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #6 - 07/15/13 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
dwright wrote on 07/15/13 at 7:45pm:
Here it is:

I road the Parkway south out of Asheville on Sat.  Visibility got so bad around Mt. Pisgah I turned around - cars couldn't see me even with a rear flasher.  

Nice map!

IP Logged

Oden
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #7 - 07/16/13 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Thanks for posting that map. Great perspective on the area (now I know why Banjo keeps calling it the headwaters loop.. 475b.

IP Logged

dwright
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 07/16/13 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Asheville to Richland Balsam is a great out and back for sure  - didn't work out for me on Sat. 

There is also a hotline for BRP closures that may be more up to date for winter and spring.  Hurricane Sandy squashed my planned Parkway tour last fall.  Hoping to do a full tour this fall, maybe add Skyline Dr

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print