Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Wolf Tooth Components 30t 104BCD mini-review (Read 762 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Wolf Tooth Components 30t 104BCD mini-review
07/25/13 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Installed a 30t 104BCD along with a Sram X9 Type 2 (I originally had a non-Type 2 before).  Did 14.5 miles at Renni, hitting every root and rock I possibly could.  The whole system is super quiet, I don't think I heard the chain slap once.  In fact, all I could hear was my chain crying to get lubed after all the washing it's had recently.  I can't see myself ever needing a chain guide again with this bike.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The slight offset doesn't look like much without the chain, but with it installed you can see there's plenty of room (I took the best pic I could with my phone, aka the best camera I own).  Installation was easy with the required long threaded chainring bolts.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'm planning on taking it to RRT this weekend and testing it on some climbs; the 32t I had previously was sufficient but I'm hoping the 30t makes it a little easier on my asthmatic lungs.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Re: Wolf Tooth Components 30t 104BCD mini-review
Reply #1 - 07/26/13 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Nice. I may be out there Sunday. Doing 24hob tonight so prolly not tomorrow.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 07/26/13 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I have the Sram version of these and love it.  Rode down Kitsuma and Heartbreak without dropping a chain.  I even had a horrendous over the bars crash that twisted my stem around and the chain stayed on. 
« Last Edit: 07/26/13 at 7:03pm by PainkillerSPE »  

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 07/27/13 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Took it to BYT tonight, was loving that extra torque on some technical sections that I took really slow.  Chain isn't quiet but the rest is!

sager wrote on 07/26/13 at 5:25pm:
Nice. I may be out there Sunday. Doing 24hob tonight so prolly not tomorrow.

I might try to hit RRT Sunday for at least two laps depending on how the rain treats us this weekend.

IP Logged

DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 07/27/13 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I've had similar good results with my wolftooth ring. I remember being worried about the wear on the fancy machined teeth, and I recently took it off to take a look, so here are some pics if anyone is interested. This is after 4 months of riding and some xc racing, seems pretty good to me.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) wolftooth.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 08/04/13 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Finally got to ride RRT today, and having the lower gear was pretty nice since my legs ran out of gas halfway into the ride.  It was almost too much torque for No Name Climb and my front wheel popped up a few times as I had difficulty centering my weight for good traction on both tires, but it was great being able to spin my way up Stairway towards the end.  Overall, I'm pleased.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print