Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) TRAINING (Read 1542 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

TRAINING
07/28/13 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I entered a 30 mile MTB race at Pisgah in November. In training, would it be necessary to do a 30 mile trail ride. Or could I just ride a lot and let general fitness carry me through? My goal is to finish.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

MisterJJnc

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: TRAINING
Reply #1 - 07/28/13 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Did you sign up for the Couch Potato race?  I'd love to ride that one.  I was wondering if an hour a day of cardio would be sufficient or would I bonk after an hour on race day?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/28/13 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
At the very least I'd throw in a few rides in the 20-25 mile range....Part of that is not just for fitness but just to know how it feels to spend that kind of time in the saddle....How your body will need to hydrate, eat etc....I would say maybe try and hit at least 3 to 4 rides a week leading up to the race with one of those being a "long" ride would get you in shape to finish...Not to say you couldn't gut it out if you had to but it will be much more enjoyable if you know what to expect and a lot of that is just knowing your body and it's needs.....

IP Logged

roadpig
Coaster Bike

Punk Rock Truckin

Reply #3 - 07/28/13 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
IMO as the title of the race is the "couch potato" you would be fine with eating pizza and drinking beer as training program. Just my 2€ .

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 07/29/13 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 07/28/13 at 3:08pm:
I entered a 30 mile MTB race at Pisgah in November. In training, would it be necessary to do a 30 mile trail ride. Or could I just ride a lot and let general fitness carry me through? My goal is to finish. 

Go to Lowes or HD and pick up one of these;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Ride 10 miles a week with it on your face. Ride the race without it.

You wont have a problem.

IP Logged

F Train
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 07/29/13 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Just ride Goat Hill at WWC 30 times a week.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 07/29/13 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
F Train wrote on 07/29/13 at 6:34pm:
Just ride Goat Hill at WWC 30 times a week.   

Yeah..

With this on your face. Preferably with all 3 pre-filters inserted per side.

On the day of the race leave it at home. No problemo. 

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #7 - 07/29/13 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
good one

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
MisterJJnc wrote on 07/28/13 at 4:40pm:
Did you sign up for the Couch Potato race?  I'd love to ride that one.  I was wondering if an hour a day of cardio would be sufficient or would I bonk after an hour on race day?
I usually take from 5-6 hours to complete one of these races. I look at a chance to ride new trails with support. And if it is cool with the promoter, I enter. Sometimes they will tell you that they are too difficult. Like,I would never do ORAMM or Swank. It seems like the shorter versions are more doable. The director told me No pavement in Couch Potato but plenty of gravel grinding. Shocked Huh

GTalk  
IP Logged

Hammerhead
Coaster Bike

Get er done!

Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
One other issue--it is in Pisgah, which ain't like trails round 'ere. It is steeper, rootier, rockier, wetter, far more technical, way more scenic, much more remote, and where there is this technique called "hike-a-bike." Not sure of the route for this couch potato, but you may want to try riding some of it before hand. Should be a ton of fun either way! Pisgah ROCKS!

There exists a fragile balance between the limits of my fitness & my bike handling skills which I sometimes forget to my detriment...

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 07/31/13 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Hammerhead wrote on 07/30/13 at 5:54pm:
One other issue--it is in Pisgah, which ain't like trails round 'ere. It is steeper, rootier, rockier, wetter, far more technical, way more scenic, much more remote, and where there is this technique called "hike-a-bike." Not sure of the route for this couch potato, but you may want to try riding some of it before hand. Should be a ton of fun either way! Pisgah ROCKS!

I ride a fully rigid bike. So I hike-a-bike just to keep my hands from going numb Cheesy Yeah, I love Pisgah. May get lost,but it's always in my mind that the Pisgah Tavern and Oskar Blue are in the near vicinity  Wink

GTalk  
IP Logged

mtb geezer
Little Ring

Hills Are Your Friends

Reply #11 - 07/31/13 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
My problem on the long races is leg cramps. You need to hydrate days before and do some long practice rides.

HYDRATE!  Smiley

You've got to be alive when it's over to collect the money.....Evel Knievel
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print