Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mileage Question (Read 2123 times)
49erRider
Ex Member

Mileage Question
07/30/13 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
So I decided I'm going to start setting weekly goals of how many miles I want to log during that week. 

For the first week I set one of 150 miles.  Three days in and I'm doing well at 65 miles.

My question is today will be the first day MTB to get these miles and what do you guys think, should a trail mile just count as one mile or more?   

Saying that I can do 20 miles an hour on the road but not near that on the trail. 

So what do you think?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Mileage Question
Reply #1 - 07/30/13 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I count the same for both.  I understand the question, but no way to figure the ratio.  In the end, you'll benefit more by counting them the same.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/30/13 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
First of all....AWESOME!!  Second...Miles is Miles....I'm thinkin' if you're a goal setter, you are never gonna feel good about a mileage "conversion"....But I'll say again 150 a week is pretty sweet! 
« Last Edit: 07/30/13 at 3:03pm by »  

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/30/13 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Alright the ratio is set 1:1 

I'm sure the goal will taper off but wanted to shoot for a solid goal the first week.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #4 - 07/30/13 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Man how do you find the time?!? I used to do about 75-100 miles/week all trail miles but just cant get it in anymore. Are you doing multiple short rides or a few big rides?
« Last Edit: 07/30/13 at 3:28pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/30/13 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
The last three days I've done about 15 around 5am then another ten around 8 or 9 at night.   

Today is going to be trail miles.

IP Logged

Locomoto
Small Cog

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/30/13 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Since the effort to ride a mile can vary greatly I have always found it more useful to set a goal of x number of hours per week rather than x number of miles per week.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #7 - 07/30/13 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
WinkI would keep two logs. One for road, and one for woods. It is like apples and oranges. With your your goal of 165 miles per week, if every week goes good you are looking at 3630 miles by Dec 31. Ambitious but doable.
The road time will build endurance and cardio. The dirt time will build endurance and technique. One enhances the other. 
You can add them at the end of the year. 
Wink

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
That's not a bad idea.   

It's only 150 miles this week, 165 would be super crazy.   

Also this is a weekly goal that can and will change weekly.  My guess is once I get going it will hover around 100 a week.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Locomoto wrote on 07/30/13 at 3:39pm:
Since the effort to ride a mile can vary greatly I have always found it more useful to set a goal of x number of hours per week rather than x number of miles per week.

I think hours is a better comparison

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #10 - 07/30/13 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 07/30/13 at 4:26pm:

I think hours is a better comparison

True. I just rode 12 miles in Pisgah this morning. Much different than 12 miles at Beatty. What would be a good hourly quota for a 7 day week?

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 07/30/13 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
So all kidding aside I track my mileage by bike using Strava.  If you have GPS that works best, but there is also a smart phone app.

IP Logged

HockeyMark
Small Cog

Just an old hockey guy.

Reply #12 - 07/30/13 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 07/30/13 at 2:51pm:
... should a trail mile just count as one mile or more? 

As a rider of both MTB and roads, I think you ought to use at least a 2:1, if not 3:1 ratio - depending on what sort of MTB riding you do. Beatty & Sherman probably closer to 2:1, DuPont, Whitewater black sections, Steve's Place are probably more like 3:1.

As another response said, maybe gear more towards time on the bike. If you have the budget or inclination, time coupled with heart-rate (level of exertion) would be even better.

If I were focused only on miles, and I was coming up short for the week, my brain would tell me to go get 30 or 40 miles quickly on the road bike to fill the gap, probably circumventing what you're trying to accomplish if you're just looking to get mileage only.

Then you should consider what your overall objective is - fitness? weight loss? max fun? For example, if weight loss were the goal, you'd be better off doing 3 longer (time-wise) rides per week, than doing the same time/distance in 6 sessions due to the time spent in the aerobic fat-burning heart-rate zone.
« Last Edit: 07/30/13 at 5:55pm by HockeyMark »  

IP Logged

Clinton
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #13 - 07/30/13 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make work fun, and you guys are figuring out how to make fun work  Sad

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #14 - 07/30/13 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 07/30/13 at 4:09pm:
That's not a bad idea.  

It's only 150 miles this week, 165 would be super crazy.  

Also this is a weekly goal that can and will change weekly.  My guess is once I get going it will hover around 100 a week.

Well there are 22.22 weeks left in the year sooooo.....

OMG! Christmas is around the freakin corner......again. Dammit.

Cry

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #15 - 07/30/13 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 07/30/13 at 7:01pm:

Well there are 22.22 weeks left in the year sooooo.....

OMG! winter is around the freakin corner......again. yay.

Cry

Shocked

IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 07/30/13 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I would say either go with time or set a road goal and a mountain bike goal. Like already stated, you can easily fudge the numbers in a hurry by racking up road miles just to get to your goal.  Even if you just split it down the middle and say 75 miles each, it forces you to keep to your plan a little better. But personally I wouldn't even go as high as 2:1 unless spending all your mountain bike time in Pisgah.

Of course, some times the weather dictates what you do.
« Last Edit: 07/30/13 at 8:29pm by KevinB »  

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #17 - 07/31/13 at 12:02am
Print Post  

Mileage is not relevant to me. It is neat to look at each ride and see mileage and make assesment on it, but Mtn and road miles can vary due to terrain. Our local miles come pretty easy, but Pisgah mileage is like dog years. I focus on hours only. If I were "doing miles" I would target 100 road miles, and 50-60 mtn miles every week. I've been tracking this stuff for over 10 years. Hours are the way to go. My weekly goal is usualy 9/10 hours a week.  Here is some graphs  from the past 6 months and my calender from last few weeks. "Geared MTB" rides are purple  Road rides are Green  Single speeds are Orange Trail work is Blue but I don't allow it in the count totals as training time. I just keep it in there for my records. As you see, mileage is all over the place, but the time on the bike is what is consistant so it is what I track.

« Last Edit: 07/31/13 at 12:05am by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #18 - 07/31/13 at 12:37am
Print Post  
wow avg 11 hr/wk

crazy, u da man

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #19 - 07/31/13 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Clinton wrote on 07/30/13 at 5:57pm:
I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make work fun, and you guys are figuring out how to make fun work  Sad

Agreed. But then again, I'm a fatass who likes beer.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print