Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Acquiring difficulty signage for Sherman? (Read 1861 times)
MasonCurtis

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Acquiring difficulty signage for Sherman?
08/05/13 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
There is a spot in Sherman Branch that I think needs a sign. It's after the bamboo section, there is a jump that looks like hump. The first time we rode that part of the trail we had a crash because we weren't expecting it, it's also very easy to gain a lot of speed in that part of the trail. Could we get one of those difficultly signs to put there?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 08/05/13 at 5:50pm by MasonCurtis »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Re: Acquiring difficulty signage for Sherman?
Reply #1 - 08/05/13 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I broke my leg at Sherman last September and there wasn't a sign where it happened. My injury was my fault and not a result of the trail being under regulated or signed. 1000's of rides happen every year at this trail without injury or  a sign at this optional trail feature.  Fast and technical trails are fun. MTB can be dangerous. Look before you leap. Sorry for your misfortune.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/05/13 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
+1 for Fat-Ass (That felt wrong)

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #3 - 08/06/13 at 12:42am
Print Post  
+2 if you are traveling at high speed and voluntarily hit a hump without knowing what is on the other side...well a sign is not the most obvious solution.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

DZack
Coaster Bike

GO BLUE.

Reply #4 - 08/06/13 at 12:44am
Print Post  
If I'm thinkimg of the same spot isn't there a small then medium then large hump you can pick to ride over?  Small hump barely a hump.

IMBA member.
IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 08/06/13 at 3:32am
Print Post  
DZack wrote on 08/06/13 at 12:44am:
If I'm thinkimg of the same spot isn't there a small then medium then large hump you can pick to ride over?  Small hump barely a hump.

i believe you are correct. Isnt there actually a rock drop at the highest point? If not it sure looks like a rock  Grin

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #6 - 08/06/13 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
maybe spray paint it orange or put up fence on both sides to warn people?  at least maybe catch them if they come off it wrong and start falling off the trail

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/07/13 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Seems if memory serves me way back after that line was developed a sign indicating a drop was placed there. Then after a few months or so it was gone. 

I can see that it would be easy to get a little carried away when first riding a trail you don't know that well been there to.   Also that is why I have generally been overly cautious on log piles etc first time coming up on them.  I remember one many years ago at UNCC  that was new as I went OTB with Enoch kinda riding over me or something like that. Out at RRT it is pretty hard to sign everything as all trails are inherently dangerous.

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

IP Logged

StretchASU
Small Cog

'Merica

Reply #8 - 08/07/13 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Take the same approach as you would on a ski/board terrain park. "Smart Style" and Look before you leap. Its not that hard to stop, check it out then go back and hit the TTF unless youre worried about your Strava time.

Karate Monkey

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 08/07/13 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Is he talking about the rock drop or the side by side jumps on the straightaway right after it?

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #10 - 08/07/13 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I was thinking the rock drop, but his description didn't sound like it. I remember the first time I hit the rock drop.  almost OTB!

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #11 - 08/07/13 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Originally I thought he was talking about the rock drop that has an easy to see go-around, but then I started thinking about the three level jump "hump" right past it.  If I recall the back side of the highest far right section has a hole dug out making it kinda a mini gap.  I could see this catching a person off guard if they were trying to roll the right side.  But as always check it our first, never assume.

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #12 - 08/13/13 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
KitJ BBQman wrote on 08/07/13 at 7:11pm:
Originally I thought he was talking about the rock drop that has an easy to see go-around, but then I started thinking about the three level jump "hump" right past it.  If I recall the back side of the highest far right section has a hole dug out making it kinda a mini gap.  I could see this catching a person off guard if they were trying to roll the right side.  But as always check it our first, never assume.

CORRECTION: I rode there yesterday and checked out the 3 tiered hump/jump after the rock drop, and all 3 tiers could be rolled easily.  Unless of course, you were rolling at more jump speed.  But as already mentioned, LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!!!

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print