Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chris King hubs. (Read 2316 times)
DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Chris King hubs.
08/06/13 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Are they worth the cash?  I don't mind spending money on nice stuff.... if it's worth it.

I do mind spending money on nice stuff that isn't any better than Hopes.

I've heard some horror stories about them getting 'zinged' by backpedaling in a tall gear...

Any insight?

Thx

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Re: Chris King hubs.
Reply #1 - 08/06/13 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
DrewK wrote on 08/06/13 at 4:07pm:
Are they worth the cash?  I don't mind spending money on nice stuff.... if it's worth it.

I do mind spending money on nice stuff that isn't any better than Hopes.

I've heard some horror stories about them getting 'zinged' by backpedaling in a tall gear...

Any insight?

Thx

Chris King makes some of the best hubs IMO. They are made right here in Portland and their quality control is next to none. 

I have had a set on my commuter for the last 4 years and haven't touched them to adjust or service. They just keep buzzing along with over 1000 miles on them, not to mention a nasty winter here. 

HOWEVER. I feel like I am a rare case. These hubs are high performance- and demand maintenance for that high performance to continue on. Having your bike maintained and NOT repaired at a local shop that knows what they are doing with high-end stuff would be key to keeping a set of these rolling problem free. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #2 - 08/06/13 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
The shop I get all of my work done at told me they're sort of a pain to maintain and I believe they require special tools.

For a similar price you could also do the I9 Torch hubs and they're made in North Carolina.  Support local business and all that.

Also, if you're interested in going 1x11, King doesn't support the XD freehub yet.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 08/06/13 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I dont have Kings, but I can tell you that even I can service the Hopes I have.  If I was in the high end market I would go i9 or just another pair of Hopes.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 08/06/13 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
another vote for I9's. I've had Kings before and they were fine. I9's have better engagement (once you get up in the engagement you CAN tell a difference b/t Kings and I9's)

I9s are super easy to service and will last years. Everything is replaceable. I've bought them both new and used. Have not had one problem with them.

Shopping local is cool, but so is getting the best hub out there Smiley

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 08/06/13 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I am not a huge fan of the I9 aluminum funky spoke dealio... do they make hubs for conventional J-bend spokes?  I like to build my own wheels with regular spokes so I can fix them without special parts.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 08/06/13 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
You can get the Torch in a j-bend or straight pull,  I have one of each.  The straight pull are stiffer, but they cost more because the spokes are spend-y.  One thing to note is the Torches are loud as hell, so if you like that "look at me sound", you'll like them.  If you don't like a noisy hub then Kings/I9/Hopes are not your cup of tea...
« Last Edit: 08/06/13 at 6:19pm by Mr.B »  

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 08/06/13 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 08/06/13 at 6:19pm:
You can get the Torch in a j-bend or straight pull,  I have one of each.  The straight pull are stiffer, but they cost more because the spokes are spend-y.  One thing to note is the Torches are loud as hell, so if you like that "look at me sound", you'll like them.  If you don't like a noisy hub then Kings/I9/Hopes are not your cup of tea...

Good info.  I ride Hopes now, so not worried about the noise... thanks.

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #8 - 08/06/13 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Noisy hubs for the win!

IP Logged

Gibbs
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 08/06/13 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
KB wrote on 08/06/13 at 4:28pm:

Chris King makes some of the best hubs IMO. They are made right here in Portland and their quality control is next to none. 

I have had a set on my commuter for the last 4 years and haven't touched them to adjust or service. They just keep buzzing along with over 1000 miles on them, not to mention a nasty winter here. 

HOWEVER. I feel like I am a rare case. These hubs are high performance- and demand maintenance for that high performance to continue on. Having your bike maintained and NOT repaired at a local shop that knows what they are doing with high-end stuff would be key to keeping a set of these rolling problem free. 

agreed....Well made stuff no doubt, but they are not set it and forget it type product, if you are a slap it on and go type then they may frustate you as they can be fussy with the  need for maintenance the sound and possable freehub drag as a new hub sets in.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #10 - 08/06/13 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I still say Kings are one of the best. My hopes have been o.k. but the bearings seem to go bad very quickly.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - 08/06/13 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
No worries with my Kings, had to replace the bearings in my Hopes twice, had a spoke too pop right in the middle of my I9's..............sooooooo

IP Logged

schnebit
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 08/06/13 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
I have a set of the original disc-go-tech hubs from so long ago I do not even know how old they are. Maybe 15 years. They require me to re lube free hub and bearings maybe once a year. But hands down best and most durable hubs ever.

I'm too old for the big ring. That's why I only have one

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #13 - 08/07/13 at 12:35am
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 08/06/13 at 10:45pm:
No worries with my Kings, had to replace the bearings in my Hopes twice, had a spoke too pop right in the middle of my I9's..............sooooooo

Clearly someone from Chris King secretly sabotaged your I9 hub in the middle of the night.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 08/07/13 at 5:03am
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 08/06/13 at 10:45pm:

Forgot to mention I've had a spoke pull through a King hub too. Only hub it's ever happened to me with. I have a set of j-bend I9's that have been through the ringer and a complete rebuild with no stress cracks in the hub shell. And I've rebuilt an older set of I9's that were originally a 26" crest set to a flow 29er set. They are like new now.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Spoke
Small Cog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - 08/07/13 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
DrewK wrote on 08/06/13 at 4:07pm:
Are they worth the cash? 

Yes, if you want to have long-lasting and dependable hubs. 
You can split hairs all you want in comparing with other high-end hubs, but CK are worth the money if you plan on keeping them for a while. My CK hubs are 11 years old and on the 4th or 5th build now. Never been serviced.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 08/07/13 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Spoke wrote on 08/07/13 at 1:35pm:
My CK hubs are 11 years old and on the 4th or 5th build now. Never been serviced.

Except for the 4 or 5 times?   Tongue

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - 08/07/13 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
big difference in build's and serviced...................

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 08/07/13 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 08/07/13 at 2:17pm:

Ah now I get it.  Build as in new wheelset build.  Whatever

IP Logged

Spoke
Small Cog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - 08/07/13 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 08/07/13 at 2:17pm:

Yes, that is correct. I have narrowed it down to four wheel builds. 

Original XC lite 26" wheel
Stout 26" wheel for the RFX
Lite 29" build (to flexy) for 200+ lbs
A newer 29" build (current)
There will likely be a 5th in the near future

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print