Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Wheel servicing tips? (Read 930 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Wheel servicing tips?
08/08/13 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Hey folks,

My wheels are jacked(rims need truing, hubs making grinding noise, etc.) and Im going to attempt to service them myself. I've read a ton of info on servicing hubs(mine are Deore) and have watched videos on home rim truing without using a truing stand. I feel confident that I can do this, I have the tools, and I have the time. Im sure there are plenty of tips and tricks to doing this and was looking for advice. Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks yall. Smiley

p.s...Is there a good quality brand of grease for this project that I can buy at a local hardware store?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Wheel servicing tips?
Reply #1 - 08/08/13 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
For wheel truing, loosen before tightening.  I blew up a rim the first time and that was without a stand.  Best money I ever spent was on a quality truing stand.  Any light weight synthetic grease should be OK.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 08/08/13 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Truing without a stand is easier with rim brakes (I admit it...I still have them). But in addition to backing off the spoke before tightening it (if they're hard to turn), I would add that you should tighten a quarter turn more than needed and then back off the quarter turn so as to take any torque/twist off of the spoke. I didn't get my rims perfect, but much improved. 

Can't address servicing hubs.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #3 - 08/15/13 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Small drop of lite chain lube where the nipple meets the rim and spoke thread. Phil Wood grease for the hubs.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #4 - 08/15/13 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Before getting a truing stand I used a rigid fork with a screw driver ziptied to it.  I clamped it in a vise with the steer tube.  Could probably drill a hole in a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 to make a good base.

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

REDoerr

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 08/22/13 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
If you have the correct tools servicing the hubs will probably be much less frustrating than truing your wheels.  Of course this depends on how bad they are.   

- Don't forget to check the wheel dish!
Nothing worse getting the wheel true only for the dish to be jacked.
You don't need to go out and buy a dishing tool.  Use two objects that are the same height and lay the rim on them (full soda or beer cans are good) then use a stack of coins to check the dish.   

- A truing stand definitely makes it easier
You don't necessarily need one but it is easier.  You can also place the front rim in your fork and use a zip tie as feeler gauge to true up the wheel. You can do something similar for the rear I am sure.

- Know what the recommended spoke tension is for your wheels!
Not all wheels have same tension recommendation.  For Mavic XM317 and EN321 the maximum spoke tension is like 90kgf.   

This is important! Unless your hubs are symetric the spoke tension from side to side IS NOT GOING TO BE THE SAME.  One side will only be about 60% of the maximum due to the hub offet.   

- Use a spoke tension meter
People will tell you don't need one but using one takes the guessing out of things.  Using one will elimnate any parts of the rim that are over or under tensioned.   

Everyone also posted some good advice.  As far as grease goes I believe Park Tool bike grease should work.  You should be able to get it at any bike shop.  I also use a product called SuperLube, it is a clear synthetic grease with teflon.  I think you maybe able to get is locally but may cost more then the Park grease. Whatever grease you want it definitely should be water repellent/proof.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 08/22/13 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
The only spokes you need to worry about tension on a rear wheel is the drive side.  Since the non drive side is just along for the ride. Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Gibbs
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #7 - 08/22/13 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 08/15/13 at 9:02am:
Small drop of lite chain lube where the nipple meets the rim and spoke thread. Phil Wood grease for the hubs.

+1 on a small drop of chain lube...now I have never seen Phill Wood at a hardware store so you can substitute a "white" lithium grease with more than fair results.

the zip tie on the fork/chain stay in luie of a turning stand is a great tip as well

(WD 40 is a great degreaser as well)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print