Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Three Peaks USA Ultracross 9/22 Beech Mountain (Read 839 times)
stackout

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Three Peaks USA Ultracross 9/22 Beech Mountain
08/19/13 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Three Peaks USA UltraCross
55 Mile UltraCross Race and the 35 Mile Little Three Peaks Gravel FUNdo
September 22, Beech Mountain, NC
American UltraCross Championship Series Round 5
Blue Ridge Monster Cross Series Race 3
Capo Cycling King of Pain Series Finale 

Register at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I am really excited about this year's race. I took all the feedback from the past three years to heart, and improved the course to make it the more fun, easier to navigate, and better for 'cross bikes while still preserving the challenge, beauty, and mix terrain that makes Three Peaks USA so great.

The start and finish of the race will be on Beech Mountain, walking distance to affordable inns and cabins, as well as a ton of restaurants, making your trip cheaper and more convenient. With mini golf, a playground, dog park, indoor rec center, mountain bike and hiking trails all right there, your family and friends can join you for a fun weekend while you are racing. Plus, the new Magic Cycles location is open all weekend to help you with any last-minute repairs or supplies.

This year there is A LOT more prize money, and more categories to improve your chances of winning. For starters, the top three overall women and men will get equal payout. Plus, the first place woman will get a pair of Giro Sica MTB shoes. There are now Men's age groups for Under 30, 30-39, 40-49 and 50+, as well as Single Speed. Each race category is paying out based on total entries, and I expect to hand out $1,300 in cash plus great prizes from Panaracer, Capo, and more. Furthermore, the race is also part of the new Blue Ridge Monster Cross Series, with another $1,500 in cash on the line. Don't think winning big bucks is a gimme: former Swiss National Champion Christian Huele is coming straight from CrossVegas. 

If you are as excited as I am about Three Peaks, then don't dally: register on BikeReg.com, then book an inn, lodge, chalet, or condo on Beech Mountain so you can roll right out to the start, and get some free hypoxia training while you sleep!

See you at the start line,

Andrew Stackhouse

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Andrew Stackhouse
Pirate Race Productions, LLC
Boone, NC
IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Re: Three Peaks USA Ultracross 9/22 Beech Mountain
Reply #1 - 08/20/13 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I'm in (pending doctor approval).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 08/21/13 at 3:34am
Print Post  
id like to try the shorter FUNdo, if i can get my cross rig thrown together by then. Definitely wouldnt be a race pace, just for fun as my first foray into gravel riding.

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 08/27/13 at 3:51am
Print Post  
might be down for this one, SSR what type of tire is best for that kind of terrain? My cross bike has racing ralphs on it as of now.

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #4 - 08/27/13 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
FireAnthem wrote on 08/27/13 at 3:51am:
might be down for this one, SSR what type of tire is best for that kind of terrain? My cross bike has racing ralphs on it as of now.

Last year, flats were pretty common.  Most, I think, were pinch flats.  The gnarliest section of trail has been removed this year.  I think the Ralph's would be OK for grip.  Be sure to run some extra psi.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 08/29/13 at 3:58am
Print Post  
sounds good, so by extra psi you mean 80-85ish? I have no clue how much to run, i was told around 65-70 for normal riding.

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #6 - 08/29/13 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
80-85 sounds pretty high to me, but it depends on your weight, your gauge and the wheel (and obviously, tire volume) and tube/tubeless.

As a reference:  I weigh 145lbs.  At 45-50 psi I have to be careful not to pinch flat 40c tires with tubes mounted on some pretty wide AC Hurricane rims.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print