Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Body Armor (Read 723 times)
TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Body Armor
08/20/13 at 2:31am
Print Post  
That's right body armor.  I've decided that I want to look cooler (more enduro?) when I'm riding strong so I think I need some knee pads and possibly some elbow pads.  Anybody here have any intel on these delightful accessories?  There are some Six Six One's that look the part out there and the POC's look interesting as well.  Thoughts?  Remember, I'm focused on looking awesome.

While on the subject, does anyone here actually use these things for reasons other than looking cool (i.e. falling down)?  If so, do you have any success/failure stories with the various body armor devices?

Also, I was pretty convinced that body armor was pretty enduro.  This position can be swayed I suppose if you have empirical evidence to suggest otherwise.

Final question, do any shops around here sell any of this stuff?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Re: Body Armor
Reply #1 - 08/20/13 at 3:05am
Print Post  
I have some 661 evo knee pads that are very unobtrusive when pedaling, offer great protection and keep my semi-arthritic knees warm when it drops below 40!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 08/20/13 at 3:05am
Print Post  
i use these:

I once bruised my patella crashing on a rock and have used these ever since moving to the "rocky" side of the country. 

I have crashed with them on and my knees felt nothing. The fabric didn't rip either. I feel like they add a bit of confidence to my ride too. I'm more likely to push my ride over my skill level when wearing them, be it good or bad.

I can also ride for a couple hours at a time with them on. One trip to Keystone in the books and we rode pretty much 10am to 4pm and they got a little hot, but besides that, no blisters, etc.

ps. my crash was at BYT, so I still would have used them in the QC.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 08/20/13 at 11:22am
Print Post  
POC VPD knee and elbows
Lizard Skins shin guards

...I still have a set of VPD's in the marketplace btw...

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 08/20/13 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
TwoNeener wrote on 08/20/13 at 2:31am:
I'm focused on looking awesome.

While on the subject, does anyone here actually use these things for reasons other than looking cool (i.e. falling down)?  If so, do you have any success/failure stories with the various body armor devices?

Also, I was pretty convinced that body armor was pretty enduro.  This position can be swayed I suppose if you have empirical evidence to suggest otherwise.

Final question, do any shops around here sell any of this stuff?

1)  I dont know what your issue is, but I look awesome all the time.  I add to this by looking retro by riding a 26" wheel bike, but add points for carbon.
2)  For Enduro type riding I will throw on my Raceface shin and knee pads that look something like:

I dont know about wearing them around here, but if I am going to be in the mountains with extended descents it is sometimes worth carrying them around.  Most commonly I am happy I am wearing them when a rock gets kicked up into your shin at 20+ mph.
Oh and if you truly want to look Enduro dont forget your goggles with your XC/Enduro helmet.  That is key.

3)  On other body armor topics, for DH I wear these + elbo pads, + full face + Leatt Neck Brace

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #5 - 08/20/13 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
RobP, you are clearly a baller.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 08/20/13 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
TwoNeener wrote on 08/20/13 at 7:01pm:
RobP, you are clearly a baller.

You sir have a keen eye.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print