Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Embro (Read 639 times)
FireAnthem
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Embro
08/27/13 at 4:29am
Print Post  
much along the same lines as the recent butt butter thread, with falls beautiful cooler weather soon arriving ive always been curious about trying embrocation. Anybody have experience? Does it really liven up the muscles for action, or is it more to just keep the chill off your legs for starting off in cooler temps?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Re: Embro
Reply #1 - 08/27/13 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I tried it on a snow ride at North Meck a couple of years ago wearing tights. After an hour of riding and sweating, I thought my skin was on fire! Wasn't a fan. Tongue Maybe I just used it wrong.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Gibbs
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 08/27/13 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Do you shave your legs?  If not I would not even go near the stuff as it would be a mess to clean up (not that it's simple as it is)

There is alot of voodo and witchery around the stuff in the euro trash/cyclcross set and frankly I think it's a waste of time since that "warm feeling" is really just a skin reaction to the menthol and cayenne often in the mix (oh yea and a little tan in a can mixed in to look cool) not actualy your muscles truely warming up. 

I say just be sure to wear a good set up knee warmers anytime it's below 60 and you should be good to go.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #3 - 08/27/13 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Don't know if this helps...

Increased Blood Flow: Embrocation improves blood flow to the area applied due to the ingredients contained in it, namely capsicum. The compound, which is found in peppers, stimulates nerve endings and directs blood to the area. While your body’s initial reaction to cold weather is to draw blood away from the limbs, embro redirects this process. Increased blood flow allows for faster warm up, increased oxygenation, and the potential for higher power output. - 

They actually stimulate blood blow to the surface of the skin.  When I used it, I never had a problem removing it.  Might actually try it again this year and see what happens. Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

stateprez
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 08/27/13 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
It doesn't really make my legs feel any more oxygenated, or warmed up faster.  The balm itself does a good job keeping the wind and wet off of you.  I use the mild even when it's cold (for here) and I barely notice the capsaicin burn.  The more you put on, the more it heats up.  I've used it the past 2 seasons instead of warmers and will continue to use it.  I wouldn't believe any "science" about it making you faster.

I use the Mad Alchemy Gentleman's Blend.  They have a bunch of scents and temps- including bourbon for CX Worlds last year.

A wash with alcohol will help it come off easier.  Also, use sandwich bags or latex gloves to apply it, so your hands and anything else they touch won't burn.
« Last Edit: 08/27/13 at 6:39pm by stateprez »  

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 08/28/13 at 4:19am
Print Post  
thanks for the replies, i might give it a shot this year just for s&g's. I have some knee warmers, but i hate wearing tights or leg warmers so it might be worth a shot for some of my cooler rides.

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print