Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gopro chesty and camera shake (Read 1158 times)
csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Gopro chesty and camera shake
09/02/13 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
K, so how do you guys get the best footage out of your gopro chesty?  I've made several attempts out in DuPont, chesty tight as can be also with backpack sternum strap over it  but my vid shows that the rough/chunk in the trails and drops/jumps causes lots of shake... So much so that its like a magnitude 9-10 earthquake just came through.  Was trying to get footage of the DH sections of Big Rock trail and Cedar Creek as I came down them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Re: Gopro chesty and camera shake
Reply #1 - 09/03/13 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
csquared wrote on 09/02/13 at 1:26pm:
K, so how do you guys get the best footage out of your gopro chesty?  I've made several attempts out in DuPont, chesty tight as can be also with backpack sternum strap over it  but my vid shows that the rough/chunk in the trails and drops/jumps causes lots of shake... So much so that its like a magnitude 9-10 earthquake just came through.  Was trying to get footage of the DH sections of Big Rock trail and Cedar Creek as I came down them.

Dont hold onto the bars so tightly.

I only use the chesty and dont have that issue.  You can see some of my videos on the Youtube

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #2 - 09/03/13 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Yeah, just watched your Beech vid... it looks a whole lot better than my vid.

Here's the my vid from Big rock trail in dupont... I have it mounted upside down as recommended by some folks, maybe this is causing the issue?  It's not so bad through the smoother stuff but a jump or some rocks in the trail will cause it to shake/bounce like crazy?  Need to figure out what's going on cause looks nothing even as smooth as yours.

Dayem Rob, how big is that drop @:26 on your Beech Vid "Top 1/2 of the Pro course at Beech Mountain"?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 09/03/13 at 8:18pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 09/03/13 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
csquared wrote on 09/03/13 at 8:16pm:
Yeah, just watched your Beech vid... it looks a whole lot better than my vid.

Here's the my vid from Big rock trail in dupont... I have it mounted upside down as recommended by some folks, maybe this is causing the issue?  It's not so bad through the smoother stuff but a jump or some rocks in the trail will cause it to shake/bounce like crazy?  Need to figure out what's going on cause looks nothing even as smooth as yours.

Dayem Rob, how big is that drop @:26 on your Beech Vid "Top 1/2 of the Pro course at Beech Mountain"?

I do not do the upside down thing, maybe that is some of the issue you are having.  I usually also get the cam to be as close to my body as possible to utilize the natural stabilization that is YOUR ENTIRE body.  The further out it is the less you get to utilize that and the more shake that can occur.  Also bear in mind the amount of vibration resistant material my torso has to offier.  Your results may vary.

That drop at the top of Beech is probably 4' or so, but it has an awkward take off to a pretty steep, kinda blind lander which probably makes it look cool on the video.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #4 - 09/03/13 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 09/03/13 at 8:23pm:

I do not do the upside down thing, maybe that is some of the issue you are having.  I usually also get the cam to be as close to my body as possible to utilize the natural stabilization that is YOUR ENTIRE body.  The further out it is the less you get to utilize that and the more shake that can occur.  Also bear in mind the amount of vibration resistant material my torso has to offier.  Your results may vary.

That drop at the top of Beech is probably 4' or so, but it has an awkward take off to a pretty steep, kinda blind lander which probably makes it look cool on the video.

Cool???  LOL, it looked like you weren't going to come down!  LOL... plus the wide angle of the camera made the guy below look so far away so it looked HUGE!  LOL  good stuff though!

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 09/05/13 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
ok so I am working from home today and got a chance to look at your videos.  A few comments:

1) I think the inverted way you have it set up is affecting the shake.  The camera is tilted up and trying to focus on the brightness which is the sky and everything is moving fast lower in the frame.
2)  What settings are you using on your GoPro?  Choose the setting with the fastest FPS, I believe you loose some image quality, but it will still be HD.  Unless you are just a pimp film editor you are not going to notice the difference between 1080@30FPS vs 960@60fps

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #6 - 09/06/13 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I shoot 720x60fps in wide mode.  I'm sure wide doesn't help.  But I think my biggest issue is with the upside down mount.  I just don't like the standard mount cause it points down to much.  Hard to see trail (see lot of bars/top tube).  I will start trying the right side up mount and see if i can find a proper angle instead of being pointed down too much. As for pointingt to the sky, the stupid forum posts say to point it so that it looks as if pointing at your chin.  Next time i'll go with my instincts on the angle.  I'm actually a photography nut so usually framing/angles are pretty good and I usually prefer a 3rd person view but you cant do that when you are out on big trails where its just to much effort to setup and shoot.  places like sherman is doable but not in the mountains.  just not much experience with POV shooting so may try helmet mount also.  The neck dampens well so should prove pretty stable.

This is how I'd rather shoot but again, at times just not feasible when on bigger trails.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #7 - 09/06/13 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Here's a link I was referencing regarding the setup. 

To get the correct filming position the GoPro should be almost pointing at your chin when you're standing straight up. Remember that you are riding downhill and that the rider ahead will be below you - adjust the GoPro accordingly. Usually if you think the camera's pointing too high, then that's probably the correct position. It also helps if you position the GoPro pretty high up on your chest. 

This guy actually does a front/back chest mount and manages to get pretty stable footage.  It could be that his chest mount is mad using the Head Mount piece which would provide a tighter mount.  Even with my chest mount cinched as tight as can be it feels loose unless there is some way to even further tighten it.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #8 - 09/06/13 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Ok, when I was testing it I had put the chest mount on and had someone tighten the straps and they said that it was tight as can be.  I just looked at it myself and noticed I could tighten it a "LOT" more so that may resolve my issues.  I'll try to test again this weekend if I can get a ride.  Thanks Rob.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #9 - 09/06/13 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Eureka!  Just tested a quick run doing some hops up down curbs/jhops/wheelies/manuals... that was the issue... too loose.  Looks a "LOT" better now but dang it's tight!  I've got it down as tight as possible.  Got the angle down too so hopefully can finally get some decent footage now!  Chalk it up to GoPro Noob!  Thanks Rob.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 09/07/13 at 1:00am
Print Post  
csquared wrote on 09/06/13 at 10:17am:
Here's a link I was referencing regarding the setup. 

To get the correct filming position the GoPro should be almost pointing at your chin when you're standing straight up. Remember that you are riding downhill and that the rider ahead will be below you - adjust the GoPro accordingly. Usually if you think the camera's pointing too high, then that's probably the correct position. It also helps if you position the GoPro pretty high up on your chest. 

This guy actually does a front/back chest mount and manages to get pretty stable footage.  It could be that his chest mount is mad using the Head Mount piece which would provide a tighter mount.  Even with my chest mount cinched as tight as can be it feels loose unless there is some way to even further tighten it.

So as I mentioned I don't use the upside down dealio.  I use the traditional mount and push it as far back as the right side up mount will allow and that seems to work perfect for DH.  When riding locally I tilt if forward just a bit.  Additionally with the traditional mount you can get some cool angles by tilting it down as you are riding.  For example I think I did that once as I was about to hit the Sherman log ride.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print