Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic What lights to get? (Read 1306 times)
DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

What lights to get?
09/04/13 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I am new to night riding.  What kind of light setup should I look for?  One for the bars and one for the helmet?  I'm fairly confident that I will like it, since it is cooler at night, so I don't mind dropping a little bit of cash on good lights.

I've done a little bit of looking, and all I've come up with so far is Lupine stuff.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Re: What lights to get?
Reply #1 - 09/04/13 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Kbarks lights can't be beat for the money.  I've had light and motions and nite riders stuff also and his stuff is better (not a fair comparison because my other stuff is older).  I recomend getting 2 even if the 2nd one is not as bright.  It is always a good idea to have a back up incase the main light goes out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #2 - 09/04/13 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I've got this, brand new in the box.  Haven't had a chance to put it up for sale yet.

It's got the helmet mount, bar mount, (pretty sure it has both) and a cool wireless remote.  Also came with the $15 headband accessory so you can wear it coon hunting.

Claimed 3000 lumens.  I tried it out in the backyard one night.  Bright as snot.  Played with the remote. Nifty feature, and it worked even with the light on my head.

$300 light, yours for $175.  I'd keep it for myself, but I already have a decent light (not quite this nice), and I only MTB at night once or twice a year.

« Last Edit: 09/04/13 at 1:58pm by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 09/04/13 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 09/04/13 at 1:09pm:

Kbarks lights can't be beat for the money.  I've had light and motions and nite riders stuff also and his stuff is better (not a fair comparison because my other stuff is older).  I recomend getting 2 even if the 2nd one is not as bright.  It is always a good idea to have a back up incase the main light goes out.

Q4T

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #4 - 09/05/13 at 11:58am
Print Post  
FWIW, I heard folks have had good luck/success with these... For the price, can't be beat.  I plan on getting two for the winter season this year.  Have heard some good things from the few folks I know who have them.

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 09/06/13 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
JR wrote on 09/04/13 at 6:51pm:

Q4T

I have a Kbark light I will sell - was purchased last fall and used 2-3 times, if anyone needs one.  $60 + postal.  You can't beat these lights for the money

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
FWIW, i bought a first generation shart light from kbark and use it almost daily. It is my commuter light. I moved to CO last year so a good part of its real usage was a CO winter. The battery life is shortened by the colder temps (sub teens) but the light works like a champ. I've been caught in rain, hail, and snow storms and it hasn't failed me yet. 

Hell, i'm even tempted to stick some mounts around my beater Pathfinder and use them for night 4wheeling. Smiley

OH, and my wife commutes with one everyday as well. Her's hasn't failed her yet either. 

I even broke up a fight on the sidewalk downtown once just by shining it on HIGH on them. Guess they thought I was the cops.  [smiley=big grin.gif]

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print