Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pike, fox 36 Float or Talas (Read 2344 times)
csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Pike, fox 36 Float or Talas
09/05/13 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
K, looking at possibly upgrading my Fox 32 to a 36.

If you were looking at the 2014 forks, which would you choose?

Fox 36 Float/Talas or Pike?  I really liked the Sid fork on my XC bike and I've read really good things about the Pike.  The Fox 36 itself is a proven platform.  What's everyone's thoughts on pro's con's of each of these and why you would choose one over the other.  

Anyone with any experience with any of the forks above?  discuss... thanks!
« Last Edit: 09/05/13 at 4:49pm by csquared »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Pike, fox 36 Float or Talas
Reply #1 - 09/05/13 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Im running a Float 34 160mm CTD. I like it. I dont think I would ever use the trail adjust feature of the Talas even if I had it. I have no experience with the pike. The CTD feature of the Float works well for me. I can throw it into climb mode its pretty much locked out and in Trail and Descend modes its nice and squishy. Look at the 34mm stanchions. Stiffer than a 32 but lighter than a 36...just a thought.
« Last Edit: 09/05/13 at 5:17pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #2 - 09/05/13 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Talas=wasted money & poor small bump. I have had 3 36 forks, float is the way to go. After a few rides you just quit messing with the travel adjust. Floats can be lowered internally as needed. That said i would go pike in a second. If you do 34 float, make certain it is a 2014. They redid the dampening to fix issues with excessive fork dive in the 2013 models.

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #3 - 09/05/13 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 09/05/13 at 5:16pm:
Im running a Float 34 160mm CTD. I like it. I dont think I would ever use the trail adjust feature of the Talas even if I had it. I have no experience with the pike. The CTD feature of the Float works well for me. I can throw it into climb mode its pretty much locked out and in Trail and Descend modes its nice and squishy. Look at the 34mm stanchions. Stiffer than a 32 but lighter than a 36...just a thought.

Yeah, I'm not to concerned about weight.  My bike is right around 30lbs +/- so another lb or so probably wont matter.  I'd probably benefit more from dropping 20-30lbs of my own weight so that's why I'm looking at the 36 or the Pike.  That said, I've heard good things about the 34.

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #4 - 09/05/13 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Pike is the jam.  I have one and it is light years better than the Fox 34

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 09/05/13 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I have a Fox 36 Talas (2012 I believe) that I got on closeout.  I don't know what issues Gravity Thief had, but mine has awesome small bump absorption, especially after the first seal and oil maintenance.  Mine is the one where the only 2 travel settings are 160 or 120.  I think I have put it in the 120 setting maybe 3 times and those were for long gravel road climbs and I was probably just bored, so I agree with others that have said the Talas option isn't really all that it is cracked up to be.  I would love it if it were like my 2002 Talas that lowered in 3mm increments.  Id probably set it at 140/150 for around here and release it to the full 160 for longer or rougher descents.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #6 - 09/05/13 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
TwoNeener wrote on 09/05/13 at 7:03pm:
Pike is the jam.  I have one and it is light years better than the Fox 34

LOL...  Making a dayem good case for the Pike!  Yeah, I saw the pike at one of the local shops... looked dayem sweet!  Kashima Coat... meh.....

Have you used the 36?
« Last Edit: 09/05/13 at 7:26pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #7 - 09/05/13 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
check out X-Fusion too. I have the Vengeance and it is fantastic.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #8 - 09/05/13 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Didn't think about the X-Fusion.... forgot about that fork.  May have to put it int he mix.

K, here's final question.... If $$$ was not an issue... of these, what would you choose?  Sounds like I can't  go wrong with any?  Float, Talas, or Pike....
« Last Edit: 09/05/13 at 7:57pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #9 - 09/05/13 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
What are your head tube and axle requirements?  Pike is only offered with a tapered steerer and 15mm axle.  If you want a straight steerer or a 20mm axle, the Lyrik is another option from RS... And one I highly recommend.  No experience with Fox.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 09/05/13 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
csquared wrote on 09/05/13 at 7:57pm:
Didn't think about the X-Fusion.... forgot about that fork.  May have to put it int he mix.

K, here's final question.... If $$$ was not an issue... of these, what would you choose?  Sounds like I can't  go wrong with any?  Float, Talas, or Pike....

What bike is it going on?

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #11 - 09/06/13 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Bike is my 2013 remedy.  Currently 150mm Fox 32.  Thinking about getting the 160mm spaced down to 150.  That way if I ever want to can move fork to another frame that is spec'd for 160mm.  Tapered head tube/currently 15mm TA so that's should not have any issues with any of the forks.
« Last Edit: 09/06/13 at 12:10am by csquared »  

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #12 - 09/06/13 at 3:44am
Print Post  
I was sort of in a meeting earlier so I couldn't expound on why I liked the Pike.  I had a Fox 34 (have never tried the 36) on my SB95.  It had terrible brake dive and it frankly was a disappointing $900+ fork.  In comparison, the Pike's stanchions are actually 35 mm and it's almost a half pound lighter.  I feel like it is much better at small bump absorption than the Fox 34, it rides higher in the travel so you have more available, and it has a similar low speed compression adjustment to Fox 36 (not the 3 click trail adjust like the Fox 34).  It does not have anything for high speed compression adjustment but I don't know enough about damping to be able to handle two adjustments anyway.  It's an enduro style fork and is obviously aimed right at the 150 or 160 mm travel market (I got the 150).  On top of that, you can get it murdered out, which is legit in person.  My Fox was a 15mm thru axle so that wasn't a concern for me and my headtube was tapered anyway so that wasn't a concern either.  It's a really stiff, plush fork and I couldn't imagine trading it for anything at this point.

Interestingly enough, I was at the Hub in Brevard this weekend and the owner's Bronson had a Pike on it and the mechanic's Tallboy LT had a Pike as well.  

PS you can't space down a Pike from what I understand.  It's either 150 or 160.
« Last Edit: 09/06/13 at 3:46am by TwoNeener »  

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #13 - 09/06/13 at 11:37am
Print Post  
IMHO, if $$ wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Pike and wouldn't consider the others.  The only reason I'm considering the Fox 36 is because with such a large market of used stuff I can probably easily find a 36 on sale/used for way cheaper than a new Pike.  It would seem though that any 2013 Fox fork would be out of the question based on what I've heard/read.  Thanks for the input guys.

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #14 - 09/09/13 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
fwiw I just went from a Fox 36 float to a coil Lyrik. Holy moly this fork is worlds better than any Fox I have ever ridden.

mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #15 - 09/09/13 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
KB wrote on 09/09/13 at 4:48pm:
fwiw I just went from a Fox 36 float to a coil Lyrik. Holy moly this fork is worlds better than any Fox I have ever ridden.

Yeah, I've also thought about the Lyrik, in particular the Lyrik RC2 DH.  Still contemplating.  I've had a Reba/Sid on my XC bike... and was really happy with those.  The Fox 32 on my 6inch bike I've just never liked.  For me, RockShox seems to have been the better of the two but yes, two diff applications.  Everything has/still leads me to RockShox but I hear great things about the Fox Float 36 also.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 09/09/13 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
The new pikes look awesome.

+1 for going with a Lyrik RC2DH solo air. Get the 170mm and space it down to whatever travel you need.

OR if you really want the end all of single crowns, go get you a Totem RC2DH solo air and space it down the same.

I loved the Lyrik but am infatuated with my Totem...

Basically I'll never own another rockshox fork that doesn't have a mission control damper.

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #17 - 09/10/13 at 3:16am
Print Post  
I have both the mission controls. The RC2dh and the RC2- one features better compliance while the other offers adjustability and instant engagement of the floodgate for claiming/descending performance (rc2)

Rockshox is rad. I feel like they are a better company to work with in general. Rockshox is quick to rectify issues and admit fault, whereas fox is very quick to dispute any problems you claim. I have had several CTD dampers go out recently too. And the turn around times for repair are sometimes harsh. 

mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #18 - 09/11/13 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Good stuff all, so far the RockShox Guys are making a great argument to go RockShox.  That included with my previous experience with my Reba/Sid forks definitely has me looking seriously at RockShox.  I was just scouring the Used stuff on Pinkbike and saw ton's of Totems for fairly reasonable prices.  Any thoughts on buying used?

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #19 - 09/11/13 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Aint no shame in that game.

My last three forks were all purchased used.

If you know how to service them yourself, even better.
Tear it open as soon as you get it and inspect/service.

Always pay through Paypal. Always.
If something ends up being wrong or busted, ask the seller to fix or refund the monies to fix, then fix yourself or send to suspension experts if serious.
Or you can file a claim.
At least youve got yer butt covered.

Good luck! Always love a good fork hunt!

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

battles2a5
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - 10/19/13 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
As others have said, stay away form the Talas 36. I have one on my slash and not only have I never used the Talas feature but the small bump compliance is not great. Would much rather have the Float. 

I love the looks of the new Pike and it has gotten rave reviews. I would take a hard look at those if I were in your shoes.

IP Logged

Get In Gear Bicycles
Coaster Bike

Reply #21 - 10/19/13 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
We have an actual PIKE at the shop if you wanna come touch & feel? Xact thoughts as stated above threads on the PayPal options via PinkBike, etc....Happy Hunting!

Our company takes pride on doing the right thing, leading by example  and accepting no compromises to create the ultimate customer experience! Located minutes away from Sherman Branch, Harrisburg Half Mile & closest to Uwharrie! Post ride beverage or place to escape & talk bikes...we have 'em cold & various drafts all the time! Located right on 49 & 485, 12056 University City Blvd. 704-456-7990. Happy Grinding to all.... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

madss
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 10/20/13 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I'm running a Pike solo air 150 on my 2014 Rip9 and it's been amazing. You will be happy with the Pike

IP Logged

smirniotisice
Coaster Bike

Crash Bandicoot

Reply #23 - 10/22/13 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Just say NO to TALASS.

I've crashed everywhere!!!

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #24 - 10/22/13 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I really like to drop my Talas to 120 for most trails in Charlotte. Then back to 140 when I ride in the MTNs. I actually kept it on climb mode for Sherman the other day for a hot lap and it was great. Its on a 29 Stumpy Evo.

I wouldnt mind trying the Pike for fun and comparision though.
« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 4:13pm by WillMurray »  

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print