Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Brake bleed syringe ? (Read 1194 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Brake bleed syringe ?
09/08/13 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Hey folks,

Accidentally screwed my brakes up with the rear wheel off and now the levers go all the way to the bars without stopping the rear wheel. This means its time to bleed the brakes. I have everything do this(mineral oil, wierd cup thing, tubing) but a syringe. I dont have another bleed kit so does anyone know where I can buy a cheap plastic syringe? Im thinking medical equipment stores, tractor supply, Walgreens, etc? Im running XTs for the 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Re: Brake bleed syringe ?
Reply #1 - 09/08/13 at 1:14am
Print Post  
I've seen syringes that are long enough at target in the cooking utensils and Walmart in the pharmacy.  Vet offices have given me some and I've ordered them online.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #2 - 09/08/13 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 09/08/13 at 1:14am:
I've seen syringes that are long enough at target in the cooking utensils and Walmart in the pharmacy.  Vet offices have given me some and I've ordered them online.

I found some online at Walmart, Tractor Supply, and Petsmart. I figure a 60cc syring should be plenty. They say they're made our of polypropylene? Also, they said that the have silicone grease inside to help the plunger move smoothly. Could this react with the mineral oil im using? 

Also again, any tips on keeping the tubing on the caliper bleed nipple? Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 09/08/13 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
This is always a pain.  Hayes has a compression bushing that they make that fits perfectly around the plastic hose I have.  If you can find a bushing of the right size that can fit snug over the nipple and the hose then you are solid.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #4 - 09/08/13 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 09/08/13 at 5:47pm:
This is always a pain.  Hayes has a compression bushing that they make that fits perfectly around the plastic hose I have.  If you can find a bushing of the right size that can fit snug over the nipple and the hose then you are solid.

I saw folks on the interweb using a compression olive for brakelines. Might go to a LBS and see whats up. Im heading to Asheville today til Wed. and wanted to ride but if I cant get em bled and working so be it. Any good bike shops in Asheville town?

IP Logged

cronic
Coaster Bike

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #5 - 09/09/13 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Motion Makers has been good to me, and super close to bent creek.

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Hey! you dont need a syringe!!! 

Just screw the funnel into your lever with a good amount of fluid in it and attach the tubing to the rear bleed port and direct the tubing into a water bottle or some other vessel. 

Put the lever and funnel etc. at the highest point in the sytem after you have added fluid, open the bleed port and give the brake lever a few squeezes... this should start a siphon and once you have drained about a tbsp of fluid into the vessel you should shut off the rear bleed port. 

Then with the funnel still in place and still atleast a quarter full of fluid- cycle the lever while rotating the lever body to different angles while watching for bubbles. When the bubbles stop appearing you should have a good feeling lever.

mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 09/10/13 at 2:38am
Print Post  
I like it! Makes sense too. Although you might end up using more oil that way but whatever. 

I found a syringe at Tractor Supply...However, i took the bike out to work on it today and the brakes are back to normal. I rode a few times up and down the road braking hard and i got normal lever pull. 2 days ago they would pull all the way to the bars without stopping the wheel. So far they're still working fine. Wtf? Can anyone explain this? Huh

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #8 - 09/10/13 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 09/10/13 at 2:38am:
I like it! Makes sense too. Although you might end up using more oil that way but whatever. 

I found a syringe at Tractor Supply...However, i took the bike out to work on it today and the brakes are back to normal. I rode a few times up and down the road braking hard and i got normal lever pull. 2 days ago they would pull all the way to the bars without stopping the wheel. So far they're still working fine. Wtf? Can anyone explain this? Huh

Bet there is a air bubble in there.  Once it moves back to the right place you will probably loose your brakes again.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #9 - 09/10/13 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I do the same thing with Shimanos at the shop.  No syringe needed.  I also pump the lever several times with the funnel attached and the bleed screw closed.  This will help get some of the air out of the lever.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 09/10/13 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I have Hayes brakes and the procedure is to bleed from the nipple and exhaust at the lever.  I don't use a syringe, I use a squeeze bottle that came with the kit, but am open to a different way if the Shimano procedure would work for the Hayes.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 09/10/13 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 09/10/13 at 1:37pm:
I have Hayes brakes and the procedure is to bleed from the nipple and exhaust at the lever.  I don't use a syringe, I use a squeeze bottle that came with the kit, but am open to a different way if the Shimano procedure would work for the Hayes.

^^^This is the correct way as bubbles tend to float up easier than being pushed down.

Can bleed both Hayes brakes in about 5-10mins.

Simple. Easy. Effective.

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print