Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Alternatives to Avid Elixir 7? (Read 2171 times)
lcogginz

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Alternatives to Avid Elixir 7?
09/10/13 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Have the above brakes on my Trek currently. Not pleased with the level of noise, and a recent trip to the lbs for the rear brake only fixed it for a couple of rides. Tired of the squeal and of pedaling through resistance. And I'm kinda new to the mtb thing so I'm pretty reliant on cautious brake use right now, which means they squeal a lot.

Thinking about going Shimano at some point soon. Thoughts or recommendations?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Alternatives to Avid Elixir 7?
Reply #1 - 09/10/13 at 2:31am
Print Post  
I run XTs. Big improvement over my elixir 5s. SLXs are nice too so ive been told. If you got some coin lying around check out Formula'or Hope's too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 09/10/13 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Although Avid brakes are pretty good, they don't like certain bikes. You could probably get a decent amount for your Avids and buy new Shimano SLX or XT brakes and be very happy with them. I haven't heard much talk about either of them being noisy and they are fantastic brakes.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

phattire
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 09/10/13 at 10:15am
Print Post  
I have XT's and Hope's, Both are great but I like the Hopes better.

MY GRASS IS BLUE!

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 09/10/13 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Shimano SLX or XT brakes for the win.  If budget is a concern, Hayes Stroker Trails can't be beat for the money.

I've had stoker trails and avid elixir r's and I am slowly converting all my bikes to Shimano's.  The Hayes and Avids have worked fine for me but I love the bite the Shimano's have.   

On another note, I have always been able to get any noise out of my avids by cleaning the rotor, making sure the caliper is lined up correctly (I hate Avids Tri Align system even though it can help with a frame that isn't faced correctly), and properly bedding the brakes.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 09/11/13 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Have you tried different rotors?  I'm curious if that helps.

I have Elixir 7SL brakes myself and they're unbelievably loud, but they work really well so I'm not in a hurry to do anything about it.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #6 - 09/11/13 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Ridefour15 wrote on 09/11/13 at 9:56pm:
Have you tried different rotors?  I'm curious if that helps.

I have Elixir 7SL brakes myself and they're unbelievably loud, but they work really well so I'm not in a hurry to do anything about it.

Different rotors has helped on my friends bike. I'm bad to mix and match rotors and brakes. I found the Avid rotors can be a bit noisy with my Hayes brakes.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 09/12/13 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Not gonna find a better deal on a quality set of brakes than this right now:

I just pulled the trigger on these, simply based on their rep and the fact that it's well less than half the cost of a set of XT's.

IP Logged

lcogginz

Reply #8 - 09/12/13 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Thanks, guys. Right now it's really the rear brake that's the problem. Front is mostly fine and quiet, but the rear squeals and vibrates. I haven't tried a different rotor yet but was looking at that as an option. Suspect it'll end up just being a new brake, though. Appreciate the advice!

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 09/12/13 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Hope brakes for 200. Can't beat that either. 

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #10 - 09/12/13 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
+1 on the Hayes, I've been running them since the early 2000's.  They are easy to work on, and the parts are easy to find on-line. I currently have two sets of the Stroker Carbons with Alligator rotors.  I try to buy things like brake pads local, but the LBSs don't always have the pads.

Also note that the Price Point link above does NOT include the rotors, but Price Point is also where I got the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).   

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 09/12/13 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I found that keeping them clean helps as well. I would rinse mine off after a couple rides. The noise would go away.

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

QueenCity Bicycles
In The Loop

Fight for your right to
Bike!

Reply #12 - 09/12/13 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
We have pairs of these shimano for $75, better brakes and 2 for the price of one pricepoint special stroker. Individuals are $45

Bart Stetler
QueenCity Bicycles
128 E Park Ave Suite A
Clt NC 28203
704-522-7006
bart@queencitybicycles.com
IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #13 - 09/12/13 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
QueenCity Bicycles wrote on 09/12/13 at 7:31pm:
We have pairs of these shimano for $75, better brakes and 2 for the price of one pricepoint special stroker. Individuals are $45

I have a set of these on my spare bike. They work fine, even at Uwharrie on Whitetail. (Before storm).
Have XT's on my main bike. Like them well.
The XT's replaced a set of BB-7s. They worked well enough but the XT's modulate noticably better.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 09/13/13 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
you might be getting a lot of squeal if you clean your bike with a solvent, especially if the solvent gets onto the rotor and in the caliper area.
if your rotors are "squeaky clean" or maybe a film is left by your cleaner, it could be causing your squeal.
Also, the type of brake pad used can cause squeal in different riding conditions/under heated braking.

remember that even after washing down your rig, sometimes you have to bed in your pads on your nice clean rotor for the squeal to go away.

I also recommend Hayes as I run some flavor of them on all my bikes.
The Stroker Trails are an incredible bang for the buck.
Great stopping power, pads on the cheap (think ebay, non name brand), and stupid easy to bleed.
...and yes, for the price they are currently at on Pricepoint, it would be an awfully bad idea to pass up.

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 09/13/13 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
not mine.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #16 - 09/15/13 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I ride Avid X0 Trails on my bikes... I love em. Ive bled them once after shortening the hoses and haven't looked back. 

They require- like JR said- a certain amount of care when it comes to cleaning and maintaining. Possibly more so than other brakes.. but when they are cared for and in working order they are awesome. With avid- the "bed-in" process is absolutely 100% essential. As is a thorough bleed using de-gassed 5.1 fluid. You also want to check that both pistons are moving freely and equally. 

Depending on the age and generation of your 7's you might be entitled to a new warranty pair from avid- with the potential for upgrade, due to the line-lining becoming cracked creating air pockets- thus creating intermittent lever feel and bad performance. Also if your model sports a banjo bolt on the caliper- you need to make sure the bolt is aimed at your brake levers. <-- I know this sounds stupid, but that simple adjustment can make the difference between your brakes vibrating your whole bike not working and good smooth, working brakes. 

mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print