Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Platform Pedal (Read 926 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

Platform Pedal
09/20/13 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
I was looking for the best platform pedal if you were not interested in tearing up your shins? I was looking at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Any recomidations?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Platform Pedal
Reply #1 - 09/20/13 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Those will still tear up your shins. 

Get some plastic BMX pedals and nice shoes. They'll do the trick without killing your shins (as much)

something like these. cheap, and surprising traction.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 09/20/13 at 6:18pm by Screaming Knees »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

26er_guy
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 09/21/13 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
This just seems silly to me. Get a set with the sharpest nastiest set of pins u can find.   Get a good pair of shoes.  Your shins won't be an issue.  Get cheap &^&^ and you're gonna tear yourself up. Good stuff means you're not slipping off.  Common sense

IP Logged

TwoNeener
Small Cog

Root Master

Reply #3 - 09/22/13 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I agree with the others.  The pedals are only half the equation.  Sticky shoes like 5.10's will make using them much better and less risky to your shins.

I've had some Azonic's that I really like and I'm currently using some from Loaded Precision that I feel "meh" about.  My wife is currently using some Chromag's and is quite pleased.  They are really nice pedals.

The only time I really ever messed up my shins was prior to using 5.10 Freerider's with them.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 09/23/13 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
IMHO, you're either going to mess up your shins regularly with non-grippy pedals (from your feet coming off the pedals and banging your shin), or you're going to mess up your shins occasionally from having grippy pedals but without grippy shoes. The ultimate is having grippy pedals AND grippy shoes...then they stick like glue. I've been using VP Vice pedals for the last 2 years with five ten shoes and have only shredded my shin once, but that was a very unusual situation. The VP's are great pedals for the money, very similar to a lot of pedals costing nearly twice as much. But they're as sharp as any of the others and will definitely do a cheese-grater job on your shins if you come down on them.
« Last Edit: 09/23/13 at 3:12pm by Cherokee »  

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #5 - 09/23/13 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
+1 on the Shoe/Pedal combo... 510's all the way.  It also seems to me that you should also factor in technique...  shifting/pedaling technique.  I find that if I slip, it's mostly when I'm in the wrong gear and end up spinning to fast.  Also, "heels down, toe's up" helps.  That combined with some shoe's and good pedals I've not had any shin/calf injuries since last year summer.  I also would recommend long socks.  If I do have any slips, the socks surprisingly seems to minimize lots of the hits and limited them to very light scratch or just barely scraping a little skin off, nothing bloody.

IP Logged

mtbmaniac

Turn some chain

Reply #6 - 09/24/13 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
+1 on the VP pedals, they make pedals for a lot of other brands.  Never used 5.10's but at least get something like a skate shoe with somewhat smooth tread.  Trail running shoes that would seem to offer a traction advantage are actually terrible with flat pedals.  Also, most higher end pedals have adjustable or removable pins so you can tailor your traction/potential shin damage.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #7 - 09/25/13 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I was having the same problem.  I switched to Spank Spike pedals and got me a pair of Sealy Adidas skate shoes and the combination works much better for me.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print