Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breaking the Stans Addiction (Read 2464 times)
Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Breaking the Stans Addiction
09/24/13 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I've always felt Stans had a bit of a strangle hold on the tubeless rim market. I've been looking around for a good replacement that would seal up as good tubeless and be a little more durable. I think the Pacenti rim may be it. MSRP is a little cheaper, and they have eyelets, and welded seams. Finish is excellant and they are also tubeless ready. I've built several sets of the road SL 23 rim and they were solid and very round. If they are anything close to thier allready poplular tubeless road rims, these will be a home run.  I picked these up from my friend @ Bike Hub Store. These Pacenti rims are the medium weight 29er rims. Comprable to the Arch in weight but much wider.  There is also a more robust DL 31 mm version, and a lighter CL 25 mm version for the weight wenies. Available in 26, 650, and 29er.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 09/24/13 at 10:24pm by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Re: Breaking the Stans Addiction
Reply #1 - 09/25/13 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Looks like a solid choice... Maybe over the winter ill build some of those for my 650b... Nice, wide, light, and have eyelets which is a plus... I still want the bling of the carbon rims but this is a far cheaper option and about the same weight...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 09/25/13 at 11:58am
Print Post  
36 hole?

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 09/25/13 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
WillMurray wrote on 09/25/13 at 11:58am:
36 hole?

Yes they have 36 in TL 28 and DL 31, they also do 28 holes too.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 09/25/13 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Yeah, sorry, I was saying only 36. Looks like no 32 hole 26. Weird

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 09/25/13 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
WillMurray wrote on 09/25/13 at 12:08pm:
Yeah, sorry, I was saying only 36. Looks like no 32 hole 26. Weird

Click on products tab @ the top of the front page. THey are all there.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #6 - 09/25/13 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I'll probably replace my flows with these next year. They look like a solid choice. I have trouble with Stans rims being round when building them up.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #7 - 09/25/13 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Screaming Knees wrote on 09/25/13 at 2:59pm:
I'll probably replace my flows with these next year. They look like a solid choice. I have trouble with Stans rims being round when building them up.

So is this a common issue?  I just thought it was my lack of truing skills.  I can get it true side to side, but roundness varies.
« Last Edit: 09/25/13 at 7:44pm by KitJ BBQman »  

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

azcanc
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #8 - 09/25/13 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry...nice bit of tech! Aaron

BOOM, DONE!

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 10/22/13 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I just built up a set of the TL 28's, and I can concur with everything Jerry said. Super easy to build and very round. Assuming they hold air, and hold up, I found my new rim. Lighter than Arch EX's, and much wider. Win-win.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 12/09/13 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Anyone been banging on these yet? Real trashy rides? Still thinking anout these but (as with anything) mixed reviews on the big forums.... Considering these for a lighter wheelset for my hardtaill but also may want to run them for some pisgah endurance races but i want to be able to enjoy farlow and pilot properly without having to pussyfoot down thr mtn... My sl23s built up very nice and helped smooth out the road bike (after one ride) and my pacenti neo motos are some of the best tires ive ever run even though they look like they have no tread... So far imressed with what he puts his name on...

IP Logged

JokerSC
Little Ring

Reply #11 - 12/10/13 at 1:05am
Print Post  
A buddy of mine up north uses them and likes them a lot. They've been durable in the northeast, not quite Pisgah, but still very rooty where he lives.

RideMFRide

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #12 - 12/10/13 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I rattled the tab where they are welded  in mine. I spoke with Kurt P. whose said he had a batched get thru QC. It was ONLYthe TL 28 from what I understand.  I was advised to stake it same as the Bonty rim deal. Other than that they have been flawless. 

If you purchase any, I would advise re stake them before building.
« Last Edit: 07/10/14 at 8:55pm by Enoch »  

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 12/10/13 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Is that only with the 29" TL28? I picked up the 26"ers but have yet to build them up. Also, I don't know what restaking is.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #14 - 12/10/13 at 12:26pm
Print Post  

Sandman wrote on 12/10/13 at 11:21am:
Is that only with the 29" TL28? I picked up the 26"ers but have yet to build them up. Also, I don't know what restaking is.

Find the seam where it is welded, inside the rim cavity. There will be 2 small dents where a tab is that aligns the rim when the welding take place. Place the rim on a board to support it and stake the 2 small dimples with a center punch to insure the tab stays put.

Not sure if the 26 inch rims had this small issue. It only takes a couple of seconds to make sure or you can contact Pacenti directly. Super nice people.

IP Logged

StumpeyCanuck
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - 12/10/13 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I've been riding a set of the 650b DL31's for just over a year now and they've been great.  They have seen plenty of Pisgah gnar with no issues at all.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 12/10/13 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
StumpeyCanuck wrote on 12/10/13 at 6:48pm:
I've been riding a set of the 650b DL31's for just over a year now and they've been great.  They have seen plenty of Pisgah gnar with no issues at all.

The only problem i have there, is if im going to build up another wheelset i dont need , id want it to be lighter. The dl31 looks awesome, but ways pretty close to my loaded DH rims...the tl28s are 150g or so lighter than the dl31.... Thats what makes me suspicious of how "trailworthy" the tl's can be over the fun stuff...

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 12/11/13 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I've got a set of TL 28's, and I love them. Been durable, straight, easy to inflate, etc. Great buy. But I had the same thing happen to mine that Jerry did. I haven't fixed them yet, but I'll get to it soon.

IP Logged

SteelSingle
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 04/15/14 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
TL28 looks nice ..  Also, what about the WTB i23s / i25s?  Has anyone ran these for a season? Any issues?

IP Logged

SteelSingle
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 07/10/14 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I'm a big fan (so far) of the Pacenti TL28. They are strong, true, light for trail rims, and mount tubeless ready tires with ease. Of course the wheelbuild itself is the most important thing, and I had a good builder!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print