Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic GOPRO 3+ Black - Anyone else got one? (Read 640 times)
csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

GOPRO 3+ Black - Anyone else got one?
10/07/13 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Ok, so, I recently upgraded a few weeks back to the GP3 Black edition because I had about $50 in Reward Zone $$ and the GP3 went on sale @ $329.99.  Loved it, it was a HUGE step forward for gopro.  I have to say, I don't see what everyone's complaint about the GP3 was... I gotta imagine it had some firmware issues but mine was flawless.  Anyhow, back to the GP3 +, having seen that the GP3 + just came out I felt I might as well return and get the latest and greatest.

Put it to it's paces tonight playing with it for about 30 mins.  So far, things I've noticed... smaller as expected... but, I don't know if the unit itself is really smaller than the GP3+, I think a lot of the reduction was due to the Housing which I found out yesterday when I picked it up that the housing was way small and the ext batter pack door for the GP3 did not work for it so guess what, yeah, I'm going to have to return that also so it seems.  The size reduction of the housing is to the point that I noticed a lot of Flex in the housing when removing the door... A bit concerning to me.  I have a feeling overtime the flex in the housing will compromise the shape reducing it's weather sealing, etc.

Haven't had much time to play with it but opened up the first file.  I have protune on so it comes with a very flat profile "similar" to a raw file from a DSLR.  Anyhow, one of the key upgraded features of the GP3+ is a new and improved mic.  IMHO, the Mic's have never been good so i don't expect much anyways.  Anyhow, upon opening the file up... I heard a loud rythmic thumping... and I mean... pronounced... horror movie loud... it took me a few minutes to figure it out and I realized that it was my Heartbeat.... I couldn't believe it.  I like a good mic, but... dayem, the heartbeat was freaking annoying and I found it very distracting (It was Chest Mounted).  The problem is that I love a lot of the natural sounds of the trails... now, if I wear the chesty, there will be an additional sound which will be so freakin loud that instead of keeping the sounds of the trails... I may have to now turn off the audio track and substitute music.

So far... kinda disappointed with the flimsy housing, fact that I'll have to return/or upgrade doors, etc, and the crazy sensitive mic.  Anyhow, just throwing it out if anyone's interested and if anyone else can share other experience.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

matthoag
Coaster Bike

Re: GOPRO 3+ Black - Anyone else got one?
Reply #1 - 10/08/13 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
First I've heard about the mic.  might be worth while to mount the camera low on the fork (away from the drivetrain) and record some foley sessions.  build a library of climbs, launches, landings, sprints, technical sections, etc.  It's more work in the edit, but i've rarely been happy with the source audio when it comes time for a final render.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #2 - 10/08/13 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
LOL... Sounds like a lot of extra work... definitely a good idea... FWIW, did a quick search... and found some audio... although I played a few they were ok.... lol  Yeah, the whole heartbeat thing caught me off guard.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the vibration/thump vibrating through the connection of the chest plate and translating through.  Else, i would imagine that my heart beat would have to be super loud for it to pickup or the mic is just super sensitive.  I really don't enjoy the POV view to much but I know there are times where that's they only way to capture it unless you have time to setup.  Maybe switch to helmet mount.  Else, if setup from 3rd person perspective, the audio has been decent enough for me not to want to touch the audio.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 10/08/13 at 7:29pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

matthoag
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 10/08/13 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
it is a lot of work.  i should have prefaced that I make a living producing media (design, print, motion graphics & video) for use in ministry.  Details in my world matter, so spending an extra hour or two getting the soundscape right is worth it.   

I'm going to take a guess that it is the new housing that is transmitting the sound to the mic & not the mic it's self.  I've never used the chest harness, but I'd think some foam in the right places might dampen the effect enough to cause the audio firmware to look for a new noise floor.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #4 - 10/08/13 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Yep, I understand the work that goes into producing media.  I've spent many a years playing with Photoshop and editing landscapes/portraits etc as a hobby (still do).  I was thinking Video editing was going to be an easy transition and then when I started (recently) I learned the basic meaning of composition.  Ugh... I have not problem working with layers in stills... but, putting it all together in video is something else and is completely new to me.  It seems there are even more details to worry about so hats off to you guys that produce videos/media.  Right now, I'm just starting with basic cuts/title/transition/and color correction and that's it.  I can't imagine the time it would take to add all the other things and then take the time to render. I can see why movies take forever.

+1 on the dampening... may try some foam on the backside of the chestplate.
« Last Edit: 10/08/13 at 7:41pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #5 - 11/03/13 at 2:43am
Print Post  

Here's good video showing the sound that the gopro picks up.  Listen and you can hear his heart beat.  I find it pretty annoying.  LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print