Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Small Nick in new Stans FlowEX (Read 594 times)
49erRider
Ex Member

Small Nick in new Stans FlowEX
10/11/13 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
So just got my wheelset sent and noticed this small nick in the front rim.   

Is this something you guys would make a big deal about or is it still going to function 100% normal??

I ordered from MerlinCycles BTW.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Small Nick in new Stans FlowEX
Reply #1 - 10/11/13 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Is there deformation/ inconsistancy of the bead hook? It can bite a spot into the tire.
Is there any flaring of the bead or wobble in that area?
Is it a ding?

If not, It may just be manuacturer defect. I might dress off the sharpe spots with a file and ride it. Make sure you send pictures to the sellar.

« Last Edit: 10/11/13 at 11:20pm by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #2 - 10/11/13 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
If you bought it new I'd see if MerlinCycles will swap it out for a new one. Even if its cosmetic and doesnt affect the tire seating up and holding air, it shouldnt have a ding if its a brand new rim. 

+1 what Enoch said. Take a picture, email them and see what they say. Dont use it or try to see if it works until you hear from them. just my .02.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/11/13 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Okay contacted the seller, and it is definitely a ding, where the lip is deformed.  My biggest thing was if this is something that will happen with regular riding I don't care to much, as if it is just cosmetic.  We will see what they say.

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 10/12/13 at 3:40am
Print Post  
sometimes those things are cosmetic, and sometimes they will give issues. I had a similar problem with a set of crabon roadie wheels i ordered, where the brake track had a slight wave in it in an area about an inch long. I immediately took pictures and sent it to the seller, who told me that this was a cosmetic issue and they would be safe to ride. Just to be safe, before i used them i swung by BicycleSport(shameless plug for the guys) and had them take a look. They called Reynolds for me and confirmed that it was a cosmetic issue and they they could still be warrantied if anything happened down the road. A couple thousand miles later i can see no wear on the brake track and have never had any issues from the wheel.

Good luck getting them to send you a replacement, stuff happens and most of the time retailers are pretty good at trying to please the customer.

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/13 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Put a tire and tube in it just to see and yep sure enough the tube was flat today.  I'll get in touch with Merlin about how to go from here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print