Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic "Sticky" shock? (Read 542 times)
Sandman
Big Ring

"Sticky" shock?
10/12/13 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
My new (to me) frame came with a Fox RP23 and when the suspension is compressed there is a "sticky" feeling at the very beginning of the extension stroke. I just replaced the seals and have tried various pressure settings, propedal settings, and rebound settings.

I also checked the pivot points and shock mounts for play.

Any ideas?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Re: "Sticky" shock?
Reply #1 - 10/14/13 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately- the rp23 is a pretty finicky shock. 

I went through 3 rp23 triads on my stumpy until I actually got one that worked.. 

How old is the shock? If under a year you should be able to find a local shop that will communicate with fox for you to get it back to them for inspection and hopefully a fix. 

If you are resourceful at all- try letting all the air out and unscrewing the air sleeve to see if you can find any oil where its not supposed to be- or lack thereof. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 10/15/13 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
KB wrote on 10/14/13 at 8:31pm:
Unfortunately- the rp23 is a pretty finicky shock. 

I went through 3 rp23 triads on my stumpy until I actually got one that worked.. 

How old is the shock? If under a year you should be able to find a local shop that will communicate with fox for you to get it back to them for inspection and hopefully a fix. 

If you are resourceful at all- try letting all the air out and unscrewing the air sleeve to see if you can find any oil where its not supposed to be- or lack thereof. 

I already broke it down and replaced the seals. I don't think there was any oil where it shouldn't be but then again, I'm not sure where it shouldn't be inside the canister. Seems like it all gets bathed by a little oil.

I'm starting to think it may be one of the shock eyes or something. Its a pretty pronounced knock. I might throw a different shock on it and see if the problem is still there.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Probably a DA bushing or spacer that is bad......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print