Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Road Spokes... (Read 1052 times)
hudsontp
Big Ring

Road Spokes...
10/15/13 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Are the CX Rays worth the considerable price difference? Looks like Lasers are the same weight and cost 1/3... is the aero that noticeable? The Vueltas I had for a few years had bladed spokes and the Ksyrium SLs have awesomely thick bladed spokes... want to build up a new road wheelset for myself (jerry special - BHS hubs on pacenti sl23).... and wondering if I should invest in the higher priced spokes...

Also... can I still run my 23 tires on the sl23? I like the odea of running wider tires but that is not in the budget at the moment and I like the tires I'm on...

Thoughts?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Re: Road Spokes...
Reply #1 - 10/15/13 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Sapim makes the strongest spokes out there, we have several team riders that swear by them. If you want stiff and light go with sapim.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 10/15/13 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Looking specifically at sapim laser OR cx ray

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #3 - 10/15/13 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
If im not mistaken the cx rays are forged spokes. You can pull higher tension if need be and get a stiffer wheel because of their in-elasticity. 

For the price and weight- the cx's are the best out.

4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #4 - 10/15/13 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
KB wrote on 10/15/13 at 3:00pm:
If im not mistaken the cx rays are forged spokes. You can pull higher tension if need be and get a stiffer wheel because of their in-elasticity.

While true, I think the limiting factor of ultimate spoke tension is the rim and/or spoke nipple.  I think you can build a stiff wheel with most DB'd spokes using the appropriate rim.  At least that's been my experience.   

I would say the effects of a bladed spoke would be almost unnoticeable unless you're generating tons of wattage and speed or where 100's of a second in lap time is the difference between 1st and 2nd place.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #5 - 10/15/13 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
KB wrote on 10/15/13 at 3:00pm:

The need being when using rim/hub/nipple combos where high tension is appropriate.

4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #6 - 10/15/13 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Only use blades when I need to, as in lower spoke count wheels. Being more elastic, they never feel as stiff to me, but seem to have a good ride quality.  I've got wheels with Lasers on both side , some with Race on the drive side only. If your after stiff go with Race on both side. Laser are a PIA to build with. The aero benefits of bladed spokes has never been proven. Spoke count / rider weight/riding style/ hub dimensions, all need to be considered when building road wheels.

23c tires on the wider rims is fine. It was a noticeable change in handling and ride quality for me. You can also drop about 5lbs. off your pressure with the wider rims.

Don't use any thick tape/ rim strip on the SL23 rim or you will never get the tires on. If you want to save about $100 go with the 279 Kinlin rim. It is 23 wide, plenty stiff , but it weighs about 45 grams more.
« Last Edit: 10/15/13 at 4:05pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 10/16/13 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Looking to stay under 1500 grams...

My  Vuelta corsa superlite wheels were about 1450 and I believe the ksyriums are closer to 1650.
The vueltas felt better climbing and getting up to speed and sprinting. The ksyriums are much more stable at speed, est above 30/40mph. I'm hoping that the planned wheelbuild will have the best of both worlds.

Won't I need to build the wheels with Laser spokes to get my target weight...or will the race get me there?  (At Jerrys suggestion...looking at 24/28 setup)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #8 - 10/16/13 at 1:28am
Print Post  
I have a set of SL-23 with a 24/28 build. Using a 210gr. rear hub 2X x 2X,   and a 85gr. front radial,  built with Laser all the way around. THe set was 1440 gr.

You could replace 1/2, or all the rear with Race and go 3X and still be under 1500. I try to encourage most people to at least use the Race on Drive side.
« Last Edit: 10/16/13 at 1:41am by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

stateprez
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 10/16/13 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Alpha 400's, Lasers, A/C Hubs (sh*t), 18/24, Maxxis Padrone Tubeless, 2 layers Stans yellow tape  VS Ksyrium SL, tubes, Michelin Pro Race 3.

8 Road races/Crits, plus a month of CX on the Stan's.  Still true.  Currently running Vittoria tubeless CX XM, no burps at 33psi and up.

Could be the placebo effect, but the tubeless seems to roll easier than tubes, or even tubulars.

« Last Edit: 10/16/13 at 2:12am by stateprez »  

IP Logged

Mark
Big Ring

kram

Reply #10 - 10/22/13 at 3:01am
Print Post  
I went with Lasers on the set I built this spring (Circus Monkey/Lasers/Kinlin XR-200). Was sent some Race by mistake, it was startling how much thinker/heavier they are. Didn't really have any issues with windup whilst getting them tensioned.

Just got some Enve 3.4's, figured I might as well go with CX-Rays since the price was already ridiculous. Can't say I feel a huge difference, to be honest...despite the aero advantage, etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print