Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) caution....roadie content. pedals (Read 1125 times)
KevinB
Little Ring

caution....roadie content. pedals
10/17/13 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
So what kinda road pedals are any of you roadies out there using?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: caution....roadie content. pedals
Reply #1 - 10/17/13 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
speedplay for me

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 10/17/13 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
When I had road pedals I had Speedplay X5s and looooooved them.  The extra float was nice, and they're super easy to clip into which is handy if your rides have a lot of stop signs and traffic lights.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #3 - 10/18/13 at 1:30am
Print Post  
same here. Speedplay. Great for the road.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Jason D
Coaster Bike

Swedetarded

Reply #4 - 10/18/13 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Time ATAC Carbon
(I ride my CX bike on the road) 
(With MTB shoes)
(I also wear a helmet with a visor)

I will never yell Strava at you.
GTalk  
IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 10/18/13 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I've used speedplays and Shimano's.  Both have their merits.  I like speedplay interface better but they are pricey and hard to walk in.  Shimanos can be had cheaper and you can walk in them fairly well (no road shoe is easy to walk in like a mountain shoe).   

I think I got a set of Ultegra 6700's at home if you want to try them.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

stateprez
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 10/18/13 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 10/18/13 at 12:56pm:
I've used speedplays and Shimano's.  Both have their merits.  I like speedplay interface better but they are pricey and hard to walk in.  Shimanos can be had cheaper and you can walk in them fairly well (no road shoe is easy to walk in like a mountain shoe).  

I think I got a set of Ultegra 6700's at home if you want to try them.

While Speedplays are harder to walk in, walking in them doesn't wear down the cleat like Shimano, Look, etc.  I have some Speedplay cleats that are over 5 years old and still work like new.  

I've seen 2 pairs of Shimano cleats break resulting in pullouts at the track this season.  Metal>Plastic.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #7 - 10/18/13 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Speedplay here also.

Super easy to get used to and get in and out of. I bought the black plastic cleat covers for mine also. Kind of of a ripoff but I use them walking in and out of the house so I guess it's all good.

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 10/19/13 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Have been using nashbar/forte composite Look style for several years... Recently picked up Look Keo pedals and like them as well. Still hate clipping back in at stoplights...

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 10/21/13 at 4:54am
Print Post  
I ride KEOs as well, and like them. Ive always wanted to try Speedplays, and it sounds like a bunch of you guys love them. But ive only read the negatives about them, the maintenance and the cleats wearing down and leaving slop in the pedals. Id still like to try em one day.

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #10 - 10/22/13 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Speedplay Zero's here. I love them.  Every cleat system has advantages and disadvantages.  The only real maintenance that I've ever had to do on mine is lube the bearings once a year and every once in a while shoot a little silicone spray lube into the cleat ring to free it up.  Over time a little bit of grit gets in there, but you don't want a sticky lube to go in there and attract more.  The silicone works well to help flush out the old accumulated grit.  The other thing I love is that they clip in both sides so I'm not fiddling with the orientation of the cleat like the Look style.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print