Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Terrible squeak in bottom pivot (Read 612 times)
Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Terrible squeak in bottom pivot
10/18/13 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
So I got a great ride in at BYT today, but I have the most RIDICULOUS squeak ever. I had the same issue 2 nights ago at Beatty and I used some WD Silicon spray (please don't holler at me, it is all that I had) on my lower pivot point, just above the bottom bracket and the squeak went completely away.

Today I hopped on my bike and the squeak was back and 12 times worse. I sprayed more silicon spray in that pivot, as well as the others, with no improvement. What should I be using on that pivot point? Tri-flow? Also, I noticed that pivot point was very loose the other day so I tightened it, and it appears to be loose ago. How do I know how tight to tighten it?

I have a Cannondale RZ 120 One.  I have attached a picture of the bike.  I can only find a right hand side picture, but have circle where the pivot is in question.  The pivot is an inner piece that is about an 8mm allen that goes all of the way through, and then a bolt that you hold while tightening the allen.  I would like to get this right so I am not damaging anything.   

I will try and post a picture of my bike later of the exact spot.

Thanks for any help.

Justin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) RZ120-1_squeak.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to set records…

Packed and ready to roll…
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Re: Terrible squeak in bottom pivot
Reply #1 - 10/18/13 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
You can use some loctite on the threads to prevent it from backing out.

I don't know much about the "silicone spray," but the "WD" makes me a little nervious.  I would stick to quality grease.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 10/18/13 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I know...it was my only option at the time.  I am going to try some tri-flow, but I am more interested in how tight that bolt is supposed to be.  I have put in a service request to Cannondale to answer that.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #3 - 10/18/13 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Some quick reading tells me this is a not so uncommon problem with your bike.  You may want to take it to the lbs and start documenting the issues.  You may have a warranty claim in your future.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 10/19/13 at 12:48am
Print Post  
I know the problem, it's a clunkendale!

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 10/19/13 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the useful feedback.  Cool  I love the bike, but I have over or under-tightened something...

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #6 - 10/22/13 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
You either need to take it to a LBS or find C-dales instructions for torque on the offending pivot point (would need a quality torque wrench).  Use the locktite that they recommend (probably blue) to hold the bold to the correct torque specs.  How many miles on the bike?  Do not spray anything on the PP, that is only a temporary fix and may harm any claim you have.  May be time for a pivot overhaul.........

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print