Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Raceface narrow wide and type 2 rd (Read 564 times)
mwoodrow
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Raceface narrow wide and type 2 rd
10/20/13 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Just wanted to throw out my experience with it.  I recently built up a 1x10 setup with my dad, traildog.  Started with a sram x9 type 2 rd and a standard 1x chainring up front with no guide.  Rode it at northmeck and sherman and only had it come off 1 time at each location.  So I was thinking, not too bad.  Then we went to WWC for an evening/night ride, only did 10 miles but it still only came off 1 time.  So I was thinking, well I can live with this.  Then the next day decided to do WWC again, 17 miles later and 6 times with the chain jumping I decided to go with a narrow wide.  Yesterday rode 24+ at Anne Springs and not one single drop, I am a believer and if anyone has reservations of running a type 2 rd with a narrow wide and no guide, don't, I am extremely happy with the way it performed and can't wait to hit WWC to give it another good test.  Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

schnebit
Coaster Bike

Re: Raceface narrow wide and type 2 rd
Reply #1 - 10/20/13 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Yeah I am a huge fan of narrow wide chainrings...I have been running one all summer long without a clutch derailler and have not dropped a single chain. great product

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

I'm too old for the big ring. That's why I only have one

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 10/20/13 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I run a Raceface Narrow Wide with a 10 Speed X9 Long Cage (non Clutch) and have never droped the chain.

My other bike is a XX1 in the front and a 10 Speed back with XO type 2, also have never dropped the chain.

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

dshack
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Just for another data point, I'm running a 10sp medium cage X9 type 2 rd, a spiderless NSB 29T chainring, a 11-36T cassette, and no chain guide.   

I haven't had any issues with the chain dropping, but they may be because I've only ridden at LNSP and Sherman's branch since putting together the setup.  I'm also running a chain a little bit on the shorter side (but not too short), which probably helps. 

It's amazing how quiet/efficient this set-up is!

IP Logged

dshack
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 10/27/13 at 11:44am
Print Post  
dshack wrote on 10/22/13 at 7:05pm:
Just for another data point, I'm running a 10sp medium cage X9 type 2 rd, a spiderless NSB 29T chainring, a 11-36T cassette, and no chain guide.  

I haven't had any issues with the chain dropping, but they may be because I've only ridden at LNSP and Sherman's branch since putting together the setup.  I'm also running a chain a little bit on the shorter side (but not too short), which probably helps. 

It's amazing how quiet/efficient this set-up is!

Update: I've now ridden LNSP (x2), Sherman, Renni (x2), WWC, Warrior Creek, and BYT...still no drops with a x9 type 2 rd and NSB chainring (not narrow wide).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print