Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pedals (Read 2251 times)
AbsoluteOrange

It doesn't have to be
"fun" to be fun.

Pedals
10/24/13 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Think I'm done with Crank Brother pedals after braking my fifth pair in five years. So Time or Shimano?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Everyone wants to be big but nobody wants to lift any heavy ass weights. Ronnie Coleman

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Re: Pedals
Reply #1 - 10/25/13 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
time has a large clip area and Shimano has adjustability. The older I get and the more aches I have in my legs and knees. I'm finding adjustability is a big plus

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #2 - 10/25/13 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I've been on Time's for many years and probably will never change.  Times have great mud clearance and a big platform.  They can be rebuild by the DIY'er relatively easily.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 10/25/13 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Flats.

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #4 - 10/26/13 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Times here.

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 10/26/13 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Times. 
In when you want and out when you want.  I have never experienced anything but that with them. 
Once you try Times you never go back, unless you are fooled into lighter options.

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #6 - 10/26/13 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Love my times. Super direct and clear engagement leading to a very predictable pedal. Like the guy above said. In when you need to be and out when you need to be.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 10/26/13 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
never done the time thing but have always done well with SPD's.

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

whiteMTN

Reply #8 - 10/28/13 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
SPD's. In when you want to be, out when you want to be.

IP Logged

rokka23md
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 10/28/13 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Love Time pedals. Rode SPDs in the past but once I changed to Time, wouldn't consider anything else. Excellent engagement, larger platform and nice float.  Sheds mud easily.

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 10/28/13 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I didn't stick with either time or spds, but the time aliums didn't bother my knees at all, and I got stuck in them slightly less.  They also didn't develop a hot spot like the spd's did, but there are different types of spd's of course, I think I used the m520's.   I don't have any issues on flats with decent skate-type shoes.

IP Logged

REDoerr

Reply #11 - 10/29/13 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Shimano, M530 SLX (~$35) or M785 XT (~$70) or if have cash to burn the XTR version.  I have the M785s on my mountain bike and I like them much more than the M520s I had on my bike before.

IP Logged

northlknrider
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 10/29/13 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Wow, which Crank Bros did you have?  I have been riding the eggbeater SL's for 11 years now and have only had two pairs. 185lbs and ride/race 4+ days a week, plus abuse them in Pisgah a lot. Love them.

Bob Marley is to Jamaicans as Lynard Skynard is to Rednecks

IP Logged

AbsoluteOrange

It doesn't have to be
"fun" to be fun.

Reply #13 - 10/29/13 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
northlknrider wrote on 10/29/13 at 3:20pm:
Wow, which Crank Bros did you have?  I have been riding the eggbeater SL's for 11 years now and have only had two pairs. 185lbs and ride/race 4+ days a week, plus abuse them in Pisgah a lot. Love them.

I have broken 2 pair of eggbeaters and 2 pair of Candy pedals. Another pair of Candy pedals are bent. About same size and time in saddle. The ones I broke was when I lived in PA but have since bent my current pair of Candy here in NC. Maybe I should invest in finesse lessons.

Everyone wants to be big but nobody wants to lift any heavy ass weights. Ronnie Coleman

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 10/29/13 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I have been on SPD's since 1997.  I ride the M647's on both my XC/AM and my DH bike.  I can't remember the last time I have had to replace them.

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 10/30/13 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
XTs or Time is the way to go.  I'm on the same pair of XTs since 09 and they are still perfect mechanically.  I also went through 3-4 sets of eggbeaters and candys quickly.

I have an extra pair of newish XTs (used only for about a month on a trainer indoors) if you need a pair?  I don't have cleats for them..

IP Logged

AbsoluteOrange

It doesn't have to be
"fun" to be fun.

Reply #16 - 11/04/13 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the feedback. Think I'm moving towards The Time pedals as they have a similar engagement but don't expose the clips like the crankbros so hopefully ill not destroy them.

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #17 - 11/04/13 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
AbsoluteOrange wrote on 11/04/13 at 9:45pm:
The Time pedals

For the win!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

hatleye
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 11/17/13 at 2:23am
Print Post  
speedplay frogs.

I have tried time, spd and crank bros....after ACL replacement knee surgery...only frogs will due.

i enjoyed eggbeaters too, but just tore too many pairs up...no matter the grade...ti, sl ,etc...
« Last Edit: 11/17/13 at 2:23am by hatleye »  

Moots YBB 29er
Yeti SB5
s-works Tarmac

IP Logged

smirniotisice
Coaster Bike

Crash Bandicoot

Reply #19 - 11/19/13 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I'd go time I've been riding one of my alum pairs since 2001 and have a few different kinds now. But the alum is still the most durable.  Also if you swap left and right cleat you get even more float(helps the knees).  Also the higher end times are adjustable.

I've crashed everywhere!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print